Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Oil Restrictor/Pump Install How-To (Fix for oil in intake/exhaust pipes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so to bypass the resistor can you just remove it and replace it with a 12 gauge wire?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike13
so to bypass the resistor can you just remove it and replace it with a 12 gauge wire?

That is exactly what I did.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

To get the pump to run on high all the time you removed the gold finned resistor?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

To get the pump to run on high all the time you removed the gold finned resistor?
Yep. remove the resistor and reconnect the wiring on either end. Simple as that.

The resistor reduces voltage to the pump, thus the "low speed" pump operation. As stated earlier, the PCV pressure switch bypasses the resistor via the relays when it receives a signal that there is boost, causing the pump to swap to high-speed mode. By removing the resistor, the pump always runs on high speed, regardless of the PCV switch input.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

one last question, if you run a jumper across the pressure switch does it run the pump on high? But also runs the pcv system?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Teching In

im not running the sts pcv system i have a catch can but i'm also clueless about whats going on when i take out that resistor i can definately hear the difference in the way the pump sounds but even with the resistor i have no smoke so as you said thats the best part
Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

how is the vented catch can plumbed? With the catch can you just remove the STS solenoid and run it like stock?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Teching In

how is the vented catch can plumbed? With the catch can you just remove the STS solenoid and run it like stock?
because i dont want to tell you the wrong thing this is the thread that helped me run mine

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/945232-who-eliminated-sts-pcv-system-used-catch-can.html

plus i dont wanna take credit for someone else's work
Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

What turbos were you running? I was using the stock STS GT67 "upgrade" when I added the restrictor. 4K miles later it was running strong with no problems. Interested to know what brand/size turbo you were using as well as the engine oil pressure feeding the turbine. This would be good info to add to this post, as the intent is to help STS owners, not cause turbine problems![/QUOTE]

The turbos are the ones that come with the Corvette C5 kit. The are Precision T3/T4 with a T04B compressor housing with a S trim wheel. The turbine appears to be a T3 4 bolt housing with a T31 stage 3 wheel. They are journal bearing. I called STS and of course the restrictor voided warranty. I called Precision and the said to only run a restrictor an the ball bearing turbos. They said the send them to STS and STS could send them back to them to be repaired. They will not sell you parts to do it yourself. I decided if I have to spend more money on the car I am going to upgrade. I am going to probably run twin mocal pumps and upgrading to ball bearing turbos. The car normally runs between 30 to 43 psi. I checked the lines and even rigged a pressure gauge up to make sure everything was ok. I have been a little disappointed with the oil return setup with the kit. If I had it to do all over I would install the mocal pumps immediately. I would have avoided alot of headache and wasted money. Your info is good by no means am I attacking your idea. It will help alot of people and helped me with the pump. I just wanted to put it out there. The bad thing for me was I had taken the car from Richmond to MIR for a track rental and wasted the turbos the first pass. I did the only thing I could do. I bought a 12 pack and kicked back. I am trying to get the car ready for a Nov 14th rental but it is not looking good. I need the turbos, a twin disc clutch, and the pumps. All that equals $$$$ and the play fund is low right now.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DLong
The turbos are the ones that come with the Corvette C5 kit. The are Precision T3/T4 with a T04B compressor housing with a S trim wheel. The turbine appears to be a T3 4 bolt housing with a T31 stage 3 wheel. They are journal bearing. I called STS and of course the restrictor voided warranty. I called Precision and the said to only run a restrictor an the ball bearing turbos. They said the send them to STS and STS could send them back to them to be repaired. They will not sell you parts to do it yourself. I decided if I have to spend more money on the car I am going to upgrade. I am going to probably run twin mocal pumps and upgrading to ball bearing turbos. The car normally runs between 30 to 43 psi. I checked the lines and even rigged a pressure gauge up to make sure everything was ok. I have been a little disappointed with the oil return setup with the kit. If I had it to do all over I would install the mocal pumps immediately. I would have avoided alot of headache and wasted money. Your info is good by no means am I attacking your idea. It will help alot of people and helped me with the pump. I just wanted to put it out there. The bad thing for me was I had taken the car from Richmond to MIR for a track rental and wasted the turbos the first pass. I did the only thing I could do. I bought a 12 pack and kicked back. I am trying to get the car ready for a Nov 14th rental but it is not looking good. I need the turbos, a twin disc clutch, and the pumps. All that equals $$$$ and the play fund is low right now.
That seems to be the biggest difference from my car. I had an average oil pressure of 45-50PSI idle/light cruise and 60 at WOT. Sure that makes a difference, and is a point well noted for peeps that are building the system but have lower oil pressure.

I think a twin Mocal setup will keep up no problems, though it'll vibrate the chassis without good rubber isolators between the pump and car body.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:47 AM
11 Second Club

First off thanks for this thread I found it really useful here is a little more help with photos of the oil restrictor installed:

Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Project Dc2
easier to just buy a restrictor

14$
where do you get these and where is the best place to get the mocal pump?

and are all the same relays used when making the switch?

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

If the system is installed correctly as per the manual none of this is necessary.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0
If the system is installed correctly as per the manual none of this is necessary.
LOL!

Really?!?!

As a Mechanical Engineer AND a Technical Trainer / Materials Developer for the classes I have taught (at: GM, Ford, and Volvo / Mack Trucks), I can say without reservations that STS' "instructions" are, at best, insufficient.

I had 2 different sets of STS instructions (LT1 96/97 & LS1 - both for F-Bodies), and I still had to figure out, by sense of smell, what every item in the kit did, and how they worked together.

Example - One item shown in both STS kit pictures (LT1 & LS1) was NEVER referenced in either sets of instructions, nor was it named in either of the two pictures! I had to call "Tech Support" to get this thing named and its function described.

Additionally, the instructions do not follow a logical sequence, nor do they explain the overall large processes before they begin.

I could go on, but suffice to say that not including a wiring diagram is just plain wrong! Oh, and the original idea to just let the IAT sensor "dangle" - Yeah, classic!

I got my STS kit installed in spite of the "instructions", and given the improvements listed by various LS1Tech board members over the years, I think we should welcome yet another 'fix' to this (very good and only slightly flawed) product.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

very good info here
Old 07-08-2009, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh c'mon, great421, the IAT sensor isn't used by the PCM anyway!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Forgive me!

Yes, too true!

How silly of me - Forgive my ignorance!

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Oh c'mon, great421, the IAT sensor isn't used by the PCM anyway!

BTW - I am gonna' get one of those restrictors - my MAF does get a touch oily...
Old 07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0

the oil restrictor is absolutely necessary for anything bigger than the base 60-1 turbo, otherwise you will get that oily film inside the intake piping
Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

how much will the restrictor help if the sts pump is used?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS#1230
how much will the restrictor help if the sts pump is used?
It depends on the pressure, volume, and return method. No two systems are equal, but if you are oiling your MAF (and you will know) it is a possibile path.

Quick Reply: STS Oil Restrictor/Pump Install How-To (Fix for oil in intake/exhaust pipes)