Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Do everyone get oil mist from breather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Id sure like to see someone post pics and a diagram of the following:
A pcv system that works well under boost, has no oil mist from breathers on the valve covers, a nice looking setup. Those three things together i would like to see.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Id sure like to see someone post pics and a diagram of the following:
A pcv system that works well under boost, has no oil mist from breathers on the valve covers, a nice looking setup. Those three things together i would like to see.
I was made an offer I cant refuse. A Sponsor says they think they have the solution. I just have to make the hour drive from my house and let them do it. Nothing like free if it works
Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wiating patiently.......
Old 06-07-2008, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dredoggy
just a thought, but the hose that goes to the throttle body from the pass valve cover on boosted aplications, couldnt that be creating pressure to the bottom end under boost? since under normal driving it sucks air out of there so under boost it could be pressurized and maybe thats why some people blow the rear main. thats why sts turns that hose off under boost. that could be why some get the mist to. am i right on this?
That's why you put in a check valve so the flow only can go from the valve covers back in and not the other way.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dredoggy
just a thought, but the hose that goes to the throttle body from the pass valve cover on boosted aplications, couldnt that be creating pressure to the bottom end under boost? since under normal driving it sucks air out of there so under boost it could be pressurized and maybe thats why some people blow the rear main. thats why sts turns that hose off under boost. that could be why some get the mist to. am i right on this?
Originally Posted by DanWS6
That's why you put in a check valve so the flow only can go from the valve covers back in and not the other way.
That is true but then you still risk getting oil mist/fumes into the intake. I did this for about a day and it stopped the little smoke I had at idle but I didnt' want to risk getting oil in the intake so I blocked it off completly.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The ford guys are using a catch can as well, but they run one line each from both valve covers into the catch can and then the other line is attached to the turbo inlet pipe to create a vacuum.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Talking pvc catch can set ups look at urls

i just had my first hard run.it boosted double the 6lb. spring rating with the WG's not yet plumed for control.
i oiled up the windshield a bit from the breather(no hood).i tread 12lbs for a second and backed off.latter we checked the HPT log and we figured a 15 # boost had occurred.
i started it up latter and all checked out,pressure,fluids,levels.all seems good.hope nothing broke
why am i getting so much boost?WRONG cotroler set up
please help if you can,i am so close now i am losing sleep .i want to drive!!!!!!

mike in mobile---251-382-1084
look at these they seem to have it all

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ch+can+set+ls6

http://eliteengineeringusa.com/Insta...uctions_CC.pdf

this is what i found

catch can in

Last edited by zo6 vett; 07-02-2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: add urls
Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VINCE
The ford guys are using a catch can as well, but they run one line each from both valve covers into the catch can and then the other line is attached to the turbo inlet pipe to create a vacuum.

That's how I have mine ran. Original lines from both vc's, and another line from zo6 valley cover, to catch can to blower inlet. I recently had my blower hat off and noticed some oil in there. I have a breather on the pass. vc as well just to be safe as I am nervouse about pressurizing the cranckcase. Even tho I don't have a lot of miles on this setup I need to check my catch can to see how much is in there.

Quick Reply: Do everyone get oil mist from breather?