Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Do everyone get oil mist from breather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Do everyone get oil mist from breather?

I am curious to how many have to keep cleaning the valve covers? I have a Catch Can and a breather on my valve covers, but after spirited driving I have to clean the valve covers and the breather with brake cleaner. If I dont clean the breather after a while I get smoke from the oil mist hitting the manifold. Am I just being too picky? I have a twin turbo 408ci setup..
Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I get the same thing, but my breather is on the inlet side of the catch can. Ends out dripping on the paint by the fusebox and looks like a$$. Thinking of building a shruod to catch the drips.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a little misting, but usually only at the track. I have an AMW catch can and a valve cover breather. I haven't had any smoking. I spoke with a few other people and this sounds like pretty common fair for turbo LS1's at our power level.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your vette was as weak as your supra,there'd be no leaks!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

I added a second breather (one on each cover) and that fixed it for me. With just one it would mist and drip all over.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

This was brought up before and someone puts some rough carpet like material in their breather and it cut the mist way down. I'm thinking it was a fish tank filter that they cut up.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

My breather smokes a bit when the car goes WOT. Not much residue at all, surprisingly.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Put a wrist band over the breather. It will catch the mist and keep things clean. I change the wristband every 4-6 weeks or about 3k miles.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Put a wrist band over the breather. It will catch the mist and keep things clean. I change the wristband every 4-6 weeks or about 3k miles.
That's a good idea! It should still be able to breath right? I might add another breather on the other cover as well..
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

A little blow by is normal on a boosted engine, but if it gets worse then your rings may be wearing out. If the oil really bothers you, you can route a line from the valve cover into a vented catch can. The oil mist will stay in the can.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by marlowchris
A little blow by is normal on a boosted engine, but if it gets worse then your rings may be wearing out. If the oil really bothers you, you can route a line from the valve cover into a vented catch can. The oil mist will stay in the can.
Ditto!

I"m going to be running breather cans, one off each VC, but most should be fine with one. I see alot of guys have a -12 bung welded on their VC and run a breather can to a convienent location.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Ditto!

I"m going to be running breather cans, one off each VC, but most should be fine with one. I see alot of guys have a -12 bung welded on their VC and run a breather can to a convienent location.
In this setup where is your fresh air coming from?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redrumss
In this setup where is your fresh air coming from?
Race car myself, I change the oil alot.

If I read this right, I see alot of folks running a PCV and a breather, now you no longer have a vaccum in the engine at idle, makes that part of the PCV kind of useless I would imagine. I'm guessing you would get your fresh air from the VC to TB still though right?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Gm

i bough some breathers and the tubes from GM myself and i gotta say they looked the part for keeping oil out of the breather LOL!!exspensive little bastards they were LOL!!I bought em to go with my LS GM performance valve covers that say chevrolet across the middle of em and had em powder coated red and wiped off the red from the letters before baking ,then cleared and baked again They look bad ***!! I will try and post pics tomorrow Anyways back to the breathers LOL They even have the bow tie stamped into the tops of em
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by marlowchris
Mine is not getting worse. Just pushing the car more and noticing more oil mist. My driver side valve cover is run to my catch can. I only notice a lot of mist when I slack on cleaning the breather. When I clean it the mist decreases until the breather fills up with oil itself. My breather has a screen at the bottom to stop the oil from dropping back down. It accumulates and causes more of a oil mist.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

My Formula has had breathers on the valve covers for years, from when it was NA to SC to now turbo. Always has mist after a spirited pass regardless of which engine and combo was in there. I have some catch cans I have to dig out and install. Having oil mist onto hot parts and smoke kinda bothers me.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
My Formula has had breathers on the valve covers for years, from when it was NA to SC to now turbo. Always has mist after a spirited pass regardless of which engine and combo was in there. I have some catch cans I have to dig out and install. Having oil mist onto hot parts and smoke kinda bothers me.
I know exactly what you mean. I am going to try the wrist band trick first.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=breather

there is a thread with a similer question
Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
9 Second Club

I have the chevrolet covers as well and the breather hole sits on top of the rocker arm and it spits oil out the hole. I have to get baffles installed and hopefully that will help, but it dosn't sound like.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

just a thought, but the hose that goes to the throttle body from the pass valve cover on boosted aplications, couldnt that be creating pressure to the bottom end under boost? since under normal driving it sucks air out of there so under boost it could be pressurized and maybe thats why some people blow the rear main. thats why sts turns that hose off under boost. that could be why some get the mist to. am i right on this?

Quick Reply: Do everyone get oil mist from breather?