Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forced induction eventually, what to do right now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced induction eventually, what to do right now?

So I've finally made the decision to mod my car. I used to think it was fast enough, but that is now far from the truth.

Anyways, I currently have a bone stock '02 Firehawk w/ 26k miles and would like to do the power mods in two steps with the ultimate goal being forced induction in 2 years time with roughly 650rwhp. I don't really head to the drag strip or track often, so this setup will primarily be for the road. I still haven't figured out if I'd rather go with a turbo or s/c setup though it seems that I keep leaning towards twin turbos with all of the positive talk of APS.

In the mean time, I need to build up my engine up but I'm not really quite sure what I should/need to do. I saw Bob's (EPP) build up of another Firehawk w/APS twins and the first thing the owner did was swap for an LS2. I'm not sure if this is overkill for my goal of ~650rwhp or not. I'd really like to have a fairly significant power gain in this first step if it's possible with my ultimate goal still in mind, so this may be a good option especially since I imagine I can get some good money for my current LS1 w/ low miles.

I don't have a budget really set in mind yet since I'm not really sure what I need, but I'm not too concerned about it either. I'm not going to do the install myself since I don't really have the time, nor the advanced knowledge to do so.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I plan on doing all of the other supporting mods (sfc's, rear end, suspension, etc) throughout this process as well. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

go iron 370 cheap and can handle your needs you can get one for under 3000 bucks
Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it help to know which route supercharger or turbo u are going with as supercharger likes a little higher compression the turbo .u can always change that with some larger cc heads though.so if u want to do the engine now and u want to feel more power than your current might as well step up to a ls2 .a few sponsors run sales on these through the year.get a good set of heads , mild cam , as when u do forced induction u dont need to go big on a cam and would have to buy another cam and thats more money.if u knew if u were going to supercharge i would say get some new headers,however if still not sure and u really want to get the engine now look for some used headers.there are a lot of good used parts in the classifieds so keep your eyes open.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

id do the blower or aps kit on a stock bottom and then when you have the coin upgrade the motor
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98transguy
it help to know which route supercharger or turbo u are going with as supercharger likes a little higher compression the turbo .u can always change that with some larger cc heads though.so if u want to do the engine now and u want to feel more power than your current might as well step up to a ls2 .a few sponsors run sales on these through the year.get a good set of heads , mild cam , as when u do forced induction u dont need to go big on a cam and would have to buy another cam and thats more money.if u knew if u were going to supercharge i would say get some new headers,however if still not sure and u really want to get the engine now look for some used headers.there are a lot of good used parts in the classifieds so keep your eyes open.
I'm fairly certain I want to go the turbo route.

Originally Posted by Hennytime
id do the blower or aps kit on a stock bottom and then when you have the coin upgrade the motor
How much boost can the stock bottom handle? It seems as though most people strengthen their motor first before boosting it; am I incorrect on this assumption?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

stock bottom around 8# boost , however u still need a good tune on the car.well if u want to go turbo no need to buy new headers.u could just get a huge pile of parts going like some and in 2 years put everything in at once.believe me though whatever u think u might spend on your car double that amount.turbo very expensive,plus the fact that u are going to have to pay someone else to do the work it adds up very quickly.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I've read a bunch of threads on the real cost, so I feel like I won't be surprised at the final number. I'm pretty impatient right now on modding, so I really want to do at least something right now. I got stomped by a 911 turbo (rightfully so) and couldn't keep pace with a turbo'd 350z, hence the reason I got bit by the modding bug. I don't have the ability to drop $15k+ right now for a full setup, but am willing to drop $5-7k and finish off the rest in a couple of years.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so if u cant wait , get like a 370 short block , do heads and cam.get some headers to go on there.what kind of tranny auto or manual?if auto a converter upgrade would get u some get up and go.like i said keep your eye open in the classifieds there is always someone upgrading or trying to sell off parts for way cheaper then u can buy new.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

manual, so no need for a verter
Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Zo6 cam

Ide use a Z06 cam too!! if using a stock block with upgraded valve springs and ide stay with 5 psi myself untill you built a block!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only shooting for 650 rwhp, you can use the LS1 block you have now. All you need to do is to add rods and pistons and you can keep your stock crank if you want to. Check out this 346/ProCharger D-1SC that is at 740 rwhp, on shorty emission headers and factory cats! http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40

Here is our engine build using the stock crank.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=83 Bob

Quick Reply: Forced induction eventually, what to do right now?