Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408 Rotating Assy

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hesitate to add to this thread, but here goes. If you don't know what makes a stroker engine, you should not be assembling this engine yourself! These engines handle a lot of power when built correctly, but there is a lot involved on building one correctly, and there are a lot of little things that are different than building a standard sbc.
I suggest you find a competent engine builder to put together a package for you, and have them assemble the engine for you. Bob
Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I hesitate to add to this thread, but here goes. If you don't know what makes a stroker engine, you should not be assembling this engine yourself! These engines handle a lot of power when built correctly, but there is a lot involved on building one correctly, and there are a lot of little things that are different than building a standard sbc.
I suggest you find a competent engine builder to put together a package for you, and have them assemble the engine for you. Bob
Why would you hesitate? A forum is about getting Ideas and learning from others who share a common interest. Or did you not know that... I was just a little confused in what was being said... And first of all I don't want to build a stroker if you read the thread correctly. I want to net 408CI from a 6.0 LQ9 block with out the engine being a stroker thats what I was trying to ask but I guess I confused a lot of people in the process and someone finally understood what I was trying to say... And as far as finding someone else to build the motor I pass.

Its people like you bob that forget what being a gear head is all about. Being a gear head is about getting in there and doing it yourself, making mistakes, learning from them, getting help from the older gear heads when needed, its about taking pride in all the hard work, money and time you vested into your Hot Rod. Rather than you taking it to a shop and having them rape your pocket book. ya sure I might have a bad *** motor if I take it to a shop, but that takes away from the fun and experience you gain from building a hot rod yourself. There is know better feeling than rolling the car out of the garage and having all your buddies around to witness the first start up, that is a feeling your not going to get from taking your car to a shop.

Last edited by X-MAN510; 06-12-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: To prove a point
Old 06-12-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
Use a stock crank and 6.125 rods
If the block was bored for a 408 it is .030 over

with a stock crank and .030 over pistons you will be at 370ci

we have several members here with HIGH HP 370's, some over 1k RWHP.

Derek
Hey Derek I couldn't find anything on guys running 370's, what rotating assy and top end are they running to achieve a 1000 HP?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by X-MAN510
I want to net 408CI from a 6.0 LQ9 block with out the engine being a stroker
You can't get a 408 out of these things without them being a stroker. If you want it to be a 408 you would need a 4" crank. You can't go wrong with a Eagle or a Callies Compstar for about $900. Or if you want to go a little cheaper and keep it a 370ci you can use a stock crank.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Derek I couldn't find anything on guys running 370's, what rotating assy and top end are they running to achieve a 1000 HP?
Good heads, AFR ETP (thick deck)
Diamond or Wiseco off the shelf pistons and rings
Callies rods
anywhere from 8.5-9.1 CR

Check out SpeedIncs shop car 992RWHP on a street legal car with a 370ci
Old 06-12-2008, 06:25 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Why would you hesitate? A forum is about getting Ideas and learning from others who share a common interest. Or did you not know that... I was just a little confused in what was being said... And first of all I don't want to build a stroker if you read the thread correctly. I want to net 408CI from a 6.0 LQ9 block with out the engine being a stroker thats what I was trying to ask but I guess I confused a lot of people in the process and someone finally understood what I was trying to say... And as far as finding someone else to build the motor I pass.

Its people like you bob that forget what being a gear head is all about. Being a gear head is about getting in there and doing it yourself, making mistakes, learning from them, getting help from the older gear heads when needed, its about taking pride in all the hard work, money and time you vested into your Hot Rod. Rather than you taking it to a shop and having them rape your pocket book. ya sure I might have a bad *** motor if I take it to a shop, but that takes away from the fun and experience you gain from building a hot rod yourself. There is know better feeling than rolling the car out of the garage and having all your buddies around to witness the first start up, that is a feeling your not going to get from taking your car to a shop.
I hesitated because I knew you would take it the wrong way. These engines are very strong, but they are also harder to assemble than an old school small block Chevy. Since you didn't know that you can't make a 408 without it being a stroker, I knew you were pretty new to engine building, and building a forced induction engine that is going to last takes some experience. If you could find someone who has done them and file fitted rings, etc, to help you out in building the engine, your learning curve would be much faster and less costly. Also, make sure you use a machine shop that has and uses torque plates to ensure you end up with round bores. Bob
Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I hesitated because I knew you would take it the wrong way. These engines are very strong, but they are also harder to assemble than an old school small block Chevy. Since you didn't know that you can't make a 408 without it being a stroker, I knew you were pretty new to engine building, and building a forced induction engine that is going to last takes some experience. If you could find someone who has done them and file fitted rings, etc, to help you out in building the engine, your learning curve would be much faster and less costly. Also, make sure you use a machine shop that has and uses torque plates to ensure you end up with round bores. Bob
Like I said before I am a Nissan guy, I build 2.0 Liters with big turbos out of my garage... You are right I am new to American motors but I am a big fan of LS series motors and when I came across this LQ9 for 300.00 I had to pick it up... Being new to American motor I wanted to know if I could net 408CI without making it a stroker... But I learned you cant do it. And I also learned that a 370CI motor is perfect for boost and I am very happy that I found this out because I decided that 370CI is what I'm looking for...
Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 AM

once again thanks a lot for bearing with me guys this forum rocks, I know the questions I was asking probably sounded like if you fart into a turbo will gain a 1000hp, sorry about that...

And this is what I came up with from researching for my 370CI (let me know what you guys think)

CRANK
- Gm crank OR Callies Dragonslayer 3.622 (Do you guys like Callies crank?)

RODS
- Compstar 6.125 rods

PISTONS
- -15cc Diamond pistons OR Wiseco? (I've heard great things about both)
8.5:1

WHAT PISTON RINGS SHOULD I USE?

CAM
- 230/238 .580/.590 115 LSA

HEADS
- AFR 225cc

INTAKE MANIFOLD
-Ported Fast 92mm intake from Vengeance OR LS6 Mani (Do you guys like the FAST 92?)

TIMING CHAIN
- Do you guys like the double roller timing chain kit?

Last edited by X-MAN510; 06-13-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would reuse the stock crank. If your going to buy one, go ahead and get a 4" to make a 408. That's what I ended up doing ( snow ball effect after that ). Plenty of people are running the stock crank to some big numbers. I don't think you'll need a forged crank unless your planning over 1k.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:53 AM
FormerVendor

stock crank has been to 1300HP, no problems!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 AM
9 Second Club

"Sinister" has a new eagle 4" crank for sale in the for sale section for 720 shipped I think it is and SHE is an honest member as you can get. I know her personally.

Quick Reply: 408 Rotating Assy