Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BOV and BPV the same thing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BOV and BPV the same thing...

I been reading many post on what people think a BOV and BPV do. But what i get from wiki is that the two are the same. One just vents. Any one have any input on this? I want to use a BOV on a D1SC I would lke to use the HKS SSQV But people say that it will damage my head unit i would like to know how it would damage the headunit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bypass_valve

thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

A bypass valve is always bleeding off boost until is sees close to zero vacuum, such as when going to wide open throttle. This way there is no load on the blower.

A blow off valve typically does not bleed off boost until a set psi is achieved, then it releases the pressure. A supercharger is always making boost, even at idle. If this boost is not vented off, it has to go somewhere when the throttle blade is closed shut. If it can't find a weak hose in the plumbing, it will try to slow the blower down, putting a strain on the blower as the blower is belt driven. A blow off valve can also cause supercharger belt slippage when letting off the throttle. Bob
Old 06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

exactly. In other words... No there not the same and dont use a BOV on a Blower setup.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a reason you can't run both a BOV and a BPV on a blower setup, using the BOV as a back up essentially if the BPV can handle the venting all the boost after WOT?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:19 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you do that instead of just getting an appropriately sized BPV? I say just get the red ATI race BPV and be done with it.

But as Bob stated- they are not the same. BPV's are always open until it starts to see boost. BOV's are closed all the time until they see a spike in backpressure...
Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
A bypass valve is always bleeding off boost until is sees close to zero vacuum, such as when going to wide open throttle. This way there is no load on the blower.

A blow off valve typically does not bleed off boost until a set psi is achieved, then it releases the pressure. A supercharger is always making boost, even at idle. If this boost is not vented off, it has to go somewhere when the throttle blade is closed shut. If it can't find a weak hose in the plumbing, it will try to slow the blower down, putting a strain on the blower as the blower is belt driven. A blow off valve can also cause supercharger belt slippage when letting off the throttle. Bob
very nice... Questions

Can you set the PSI to be very low IE idle speeds?

How would you make a BOV stay open untill it sees the boost?

Can you use a BOV and a BPV?

Reason why i ask is because i LOVE the sound off SWOOSH!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Were do you run your reference to for a blow off vlave? Does it go to the maifold or inlet piping?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

you can vent the bypass if you wish to have noise.

if you try to run a blow off with real low opening pressure your car will chirp like a bird 90% of the time.

go with a mondo bypass and vent it and you will get the sound you want as well as keep your blower healthy
Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ineed a sound clip of a mondo
Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus

Damn, Bob, your expertise at making power may be exceeded by your inability to explain it. I have a boss like that. He knows EXACTLY what he is doing, but to hear him explain it sounds like a 4th grade retard class.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Damn, Bob, your expertise at making power may be exceeded by your inability to explain it. I have a boss like that. He knows EXACTLY what he is doing, but to hear him explain it sounds like a 4th grade retard class.
I understood it well . I thought it was some good info
Old 06-18-2008, 05:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BigBenz
very nice... Questions

Can you set the PSI to be very low IE idle speeds?

How would you make a BOV stay open untill it sees the boost?

Can you use a BOV and a BPV?

Reason why i ask is because i LOVE the sound off SWOOSH!!!!
If you kept a blow off valve open until it sees boost, you wouldn't build up the pressure that creates that whoosh sound. You will hear a little of it with the ProCharger race Valve and the Vortech Mondo valve, especially if you are running a lot of boost, but certainly not like you would with a turbo. Bob
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
LOL

In other words, only run a bpv with a SC beacouse it will surge the compressor and break stuff.

Bov's have a spring inside them, the BPV's do not or very small.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

dont base your knowledge off of wikipedia. Its an open sourced website where any ricer can add it in.

Believe me..there is a difference. Go put a BOV on a blower car and downshift hard.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Why would you do that instead of just getting an appropriately sized BPV? I say just get the red ATI race BPV and be done with it.

But as Bob stated- they are not the same. BPV's are always open until it starts to see boost. BOV's are closed all the time until they see a spike in backpressure...
I was more curious than anything, it looks like a couple of people have asked and I was just wondering. Does anybody know?

Quick Reply: BOV and BPV the same thing...