Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IAT readings

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default IAT readings

Curious to know what IAT reading you guys are getting in Traffic.
I got as high as 130 this morning in traffic. Normally I don't drive it during the week.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the outside air temp. Will play a big factor on the IAT. I normal see 15-20 deg above ambient air in town
Old 06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxgee
Curious to know what IAT reading you guys are getting in Traffic.
I got as high as 130 this morning in traffic. Normally I don't drive it during the week.
I've seen mine get that hot in traffic too. Added a puller fan to the back of the intercooler, which helps some, but not enough to make it worthwhile. Thought of having a mister spray on the IC.....never tried it though.

I had to dumb down the timing last week due to this to prevent knock when at part throttle. Once moving, all is well (IAT's w/in 15 of ambient), but that stop and go really heats things up cause no air is flowing through the FMIC. That's an issue meth injection won't solve either.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a 95 degree day, my IAT will read about the same or a little less. In stop and go traffic, it will go up to around 98
Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schantin
I've seen mine get that hot in traffic too. Added a puller fan to the back of the intercooler, which helps some, but not enough to make it worthwhile. Thought of having a mister spray on the IC.....never tried it though.

I had to dumb down the timing last week due to this to prevent knock when at part throttle. Once moving, all is well (IAT's w/in 15 of ambient), but that stop and go really heats things up cause no air is flowing through the FMIC. That's an issue meth injection won't solve either.
Got a pic of that fan set up on the intercooler? I was thinkin of puttin a single no2 fitting at the input of the intercooler and spraying a 50 shot just for cooling on hard runs and hot days still doing some research on it. My only concern is water building in the intercooler.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Got a pic of that fan set up on the intercooler? I was thinkin of puttin a single no2 fitting at the input of the intercooler and spraying a 50 shot just for cooling on hard runs and hot days still doing some research on it. My only concern is water building in the intercooler.
No pics yet but it's too easy to install. Small Spal fan secured to the back of the intercooler with the plastic "push through" fasteners. I wired it to the #1 fan on the fuse block, so when the radiator electric fans come on....so does the intercooler fan.

It doesn't decrease IAT's when driving. It helps control them when sitting in traffic and helps pull them down pretty fast when the car is hot and first started. Again, it helped, but minimally. I think a mister on the front of the intercooler would be a better setup. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think some of it is actuall heat soak from the pipeing onto the threads of the IAT sensor. I'm thinking of using my w/s reservoir as a mist over the intercooler.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

mine gets to 155 on a hard pull with no intercooler running 7psi. I am adding the procharger twin set up and some water meth and see what happens.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by maxgee
I think some of it is actuall heat soak from the pipeing onto the threads of the IAT sensor. I'm thinking of using my w/s reservoir as a mist over the intercooler.
My IAT sensor's isolated from the pipe by the factory rubber grommet. Mister might work well for the street. Wouldn't use it at the track, though....might **** people off dripping water on the staging lanes
Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I look at that but, My intercooler is exposed and that just wont look right on a f-body. But sweet system
Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

thats fine for the street i mean you cant continuously cool a Air to Air intercooled car in stop and go by spraying nitrous or water or whatever thru a bar like that, its just not convenient. Its not something i would enjoy having to constantly "maintain"(too much crap to maintain on the car already lol). If you'd like continuous cooling (which still might not work in stop and go, go with a water to air intercooler but then you'd need some new plumbing along with lines, a water pump, reservoir and a small heat exchanger/radiator to do it "right". It can be done but remember that if using coolant from the motor it will still be hot since the motor constanly gets 200+ just driving normal if not more. Also if you would put it in a seperate water source with a reservoir you would have to install and route a water pump of some sort with a small radiator as it will still get to ambient temp if not alittle hotter since the reservoir would be witting inside of a hot engine bay. Max I'd say leave it as is and you'll be fine for what you do with the car. As soon as you get moving that air temp goes down considerably and is not a big problem. That intercooler is very good for that setup and can handle quite a bit more without becoming a "issue" in the system. I'll call you up later to see whats new man, hope everythings going good!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My truck runs about 20-30 above ambiant. Could be worse,tuned a 05 GTO the other day and the IAT went as high as 180 degree's sitting in traffic--and it was NA!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

yup Max, i just finished another turbo camaro today and the IAT's when it was nice and humid out were between 90-130 on hard pulls. After we let off the iats would come back down to about 90* and stay there while moving some with traffic. So no biggie the location of where you have the sensor might be it but i wouldnt sweat it. There are guys running sts turbo cars with NO intercooler so you get the idea lol
Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fenix999
yup Max, i just finished another turbo camaro today and the IAT's when it was nice and humid out were between 90-130 on hard pulls. After we let off the iats would come back down to about 90* and stay there while moving some with traffic. So no biggie the location of where you have the sensor might be it but i wouldnt sweat it. There are guys running sts turbo cars with NO intercooler so you get the idea lol
I think my relocating my sensor to hard pipeing might be getting heat soak. I'm going to maybe get a turbo jacket for the turbo.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iats in traffic are fine at whatever they read, when you tip into it they should drop quickly and steadily go up depending on power and intercooler.

Higher IAT's = better gas milage, think cold air kit (good in summer, horrible in winter).

Its the IAT's that run the show, higher IAT's less timing and less hp, this is why a huge intercooler is a MUST for a FI setup, goes to show the buttmount turbos that are non-ic are not even worth installing.

The NOS spray bar we have used in the past, it does chill it down, BUT at the expense of $4/lb, you might as well put it in the air filter for the extra hp.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schantin
My IAT sensor's isolated from the pipe by the factory rubber grommet. Mister might work well for the street. Wouldn't use it at the track, though....might **** people off dripping water on the staging lanes
I have a sensor from one made for GMC Cyclone, it thread into a bung I have welded into the pipeing. This might be asking a lot, can you post a pic or email it to me?
maxg929@gmail.com

Quick Reply: IAT readings