Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

370 iron block build....few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big hair dryer is barely spinning and it isnt heating anything just cruising.

what is the expected weight of the car? a 370 should be fine with the 88. If it were my money, i would do a ls2 block with doweled mains......save a good bit of weight that way and still meet the hp goal you will need.

Heads are gonna be costly but you can find some good deals used to save some cash. You will need the thicker decked aftermarket castings like ETP..AFR...etc
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cablebandit
big hair dryer is barely spinning and it isnt heating anything just cruising.
what is the expected weight of the car? a 370 should be fine with the 88. If it were my money, i would do a ls2 block with doweled mains......save a good bit of weight that way and still meet the hp goal you will need.

Heads are gonna be costly but you can find some good deals used to save some cash. You will need the thicker decked aftermarket castings like ETP..AFR...etc
I will politely disagree w/ that statment concerning heat....as 5K miles worth of data logs showed it didn't hold true for my rear-mount setup. I had to run a FMIC + an electric fan on the intercooler to keep things in check during stop/go traffic. (Keep in mind I'm talking IAT's here and heat soaking from traffic and low speed driving, NOT engine coolant temp.) Guess it also depends what you're comfy with. I didn't like IAT's to exceed 15 over ambient at any time (pulls timing) and didn't feel good about resetting the IAT spark retard threshold above 110.

Of course, front-mount w/ the charge pipes not being near the exhaust could be a very different story.

Anyhow, just my $0.02

Last edited by Schantin; 06-30-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Schantin
I will politely disagree w/ that statment concerning heat....as 5K miles worth of data logs showed it didn't hold true for my rear-mount setup. I had to run a FMIC + an electric fan on the intercooler to keep things in check during stop/go traffic. (Keep in mind I'm talking IAT's here and heat soaking from traffic and low speed driving, NOT engine coolant temp.) Guess it also depends what you're comfy with. I didn't like IAT's to exceed 15 over ambient at any time (pulls timing) and didn't feel good about resetting the IAT spark retard threshold above 110.

Of course, front-mount w/ the charge pipes not being near the exhaust could be a very different story.

Anyhow, just my $0.02

Yeah.... a way diferent story.... another - on the STS side......
Old 06-30-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had my sts at 5psi and it was super DD.

i as well am lookin at the s88-s91 for a 370. in my head either will work and im leaning to the S91 same reasons less boost same power, and room to grow.

go 91 and never look back
Old 06-30-2008, 03:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin

Anyhow, just my $0.02
must be different...mine generally runs 3-4 over ambient and does rise in traffic but of course i cant race it in traffic...it quickly cools down once you start moving.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I say street driven....its not a primary vehicle honestly, it'll be brought out for meets, cruises, etc. for fun. Don't see a problem with that at all.

I may juts run the truck head setup with an 88.

weight? as low as I can get it with the Iron block....still thinking about ls2 though.

to many different ways to go.

Chad
Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
when I say street driven....its not a primary vehicle honestly, it'll be brought out for meets, cruises, etc. for fun. Don't see a problem with that at all.

I may juts run the truck head setup with an 88.

weight? as low as I can get it with the Iron block....still thinking about ls2 though.

to many different ways to go.

Chad
Then that wont be a problem at all. Like i said in my PM. A Good fan on the tranny cooler and on the cars rad. and you should be fine in even 100+ degree heat.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

What kind of rpms are you going to try to spin? If you're looking for something lower that low to mid 9s in the future I would look really hard at investing the extra money required into a, lets say, 8000 rpm valvetrain top end. Whenever I change anything up on my car, I try to go a little bit overboard, because I know I'll always be looking for some more power here or there on down the road.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elcaballoloco
What kind of rpms are you going to try to spin? If you're looking for something lower that low to mid 9s in the future I would look really hard at investing the extra money required into a, lets say, 8000 rpm valvetrain top end. Whenever I change anything up on my car, I try to go a little bit overboard, because I know I'll always be looking for some more power here or there on down the road.
7,000 tops.

that w/ 3.50 rear gear should be PLENTY.

Chad
Old 06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elcaballoloco
8000rpms?? WOW! I go thru the traps at 6500-6700rpms with the PG and 3.50 gear! That's enough RPM to go mid 8's. I even have stock rocker arms.LOL
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
8000rpms?? WOW! I go thru the traps at 6500-6700rpms with the PG and 3.50 gear! That's enough RPM to go mid 8's. I even have stock rocker arms.LOL
that was just an "example" number. i plan on turning the 408 setup i'm getting ready to start on to 7500, but would like to say if the need ever arose that i would feel comfortable with 8k.

if you plan on keeping the car and are the kind of person who can't leave good enough alone, what may seem overboard for what you want now will not be overboard for where you want to be 1-2- or 3 years down the road. less money in the long run too.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 AM
9 Second Club

you dont need to turn a 370 on boost that hard for just low-mid 9s. I understand the overbuild part but he should be fine for the future with your standard 370 FI build.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well your BIG thinking is another $8-10 K. Thats 1/2 of his whole budget.

I know I have a solid roller going togeather right now.
Have you priced Jessel rockers latley??? $2k for just them.
Dry Sump.... Price that out.... $4k......

Im like Hunter. Did Bottom 9's on stock rockers....
Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

I see where you guys are coming from and forgot about his budget and yea I understand the cost of it all. When I look at my project, I don't see it getting done until the year 2093 with my broke *** but I have my goals.

I think he's definitely on the right track for a killer setup though.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
lol exactly.

I understand what hes saying though, but turning those rpm's i'd want to go solid roller, than that means dry sump....no thanks.

pulled the rear end out yesterday. pulled dart heads as well, doing the cam today/tom.

Chad
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go S91......BIG power, quicker spool then any other turbo that size, and will make 800-900rwhp on pump gas with the right combo. If you want just a little less the S88 is no slouch either...Na$tyTA above made over 1100rwhp with his S88 on a PG tranny.

Quick Reply: 370 iron block build....few questions.