Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS, little things

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS, little things

First lets go with the Knock sensors in the Ls2/ls3 block. what is the best place to put the knock sensor.

second the pvc system. what is the best way to do it? just follow the instruction? or what everyone doing?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

The ls2 KR sensor fits where it should be located at, it is up against the compressor housing, but it fits.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Part # on Valve covers & breathers

I by passed my whole PCV system completely and went with GM breathered valve covers Part #25534398 is with breather hole
25534399 is without breather hole. I went with 2 with the breather holes and bought 2 special GM stems what keep oil out of the breaters and 2 GM filters Hers some pics of em

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/APs%20Engine
The breather baffled tube is part #88962074
The breathers themselves are #25534355
and these are made to work with each other and the valve covers Good luck !!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barnat
I by passed my whole PCV system completely and went with GM breathered valve covers Part #25534398 is with breather hole
25534399 is without breather hole. I went with 2 with the breather holes and bought 2 special GM stems what keep oil out of the breaters and 2 GM filters Hers some pics of em

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/APs%20Engine
The breather baffled tube is part #88962074
The breathers themselves are #25534355
and these are made to work with each other and the valve covers Good luck !!
This does not allow the harmful combustion byproducts to be "flushed" from the crankcase & damage will eventually result. You need the proper PCV system for engine life and just venting excess crankcase pressure is only part of the solution. You need filtered fresh air to be pulled through the system to flush out the vapors or the majority are still in the crankcase when you shut down & the motor cools....and all the harmful gasses re-condense back into your oil & internal parts.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
This does not allow the harmful combustion byproducts to be "flushed" from the crankcase & damage will eventually result. You need the proper PCV system for engine life and just venting excess crankcase pressure is only part of the solution. You need filtered fresh air to be pulled through the system to flush out the vapors or the majority are still in the crankcase when you shut down & the motor cools....and all the harmful gasses re-condense back into your oil & internal parts.
Alot of people, including myself (in the past anyway), run a basic breather system likes this. What do you recommend?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 AM
12 Second Club

subscribed
Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I have been trying to search about this. It looks like a pretty awesome looking kit. I am not real happy about having to cut up my Firehawk though to install it.

If I understand right the F body kit doesn't come with the fuel pump or injectors? I guess a dual pump in tank setup would be the way to go? I think they recommend 60lb injectors with the kit.

I have read a bunch of problems with the STS kit but not the APS kit. Is there just not that many people using the APS TT?

I am planning on using the dual/dual catback that came on the Firehawk.

Right now this is a long term idea. I hopefully can have enough money saved up buy the end of the year so I can work on it this winter.

One more thing. Has anyone used the UMI k member strano designed instead of the BMR unit?

I did not mean to high jack your thread...but I think I did.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
As Lewis stated, if you do run with the PCV system removed and run a breather(s), you need to change the oil much more frequently. Personally I feel it is better to run without a PCV system and change the oil more frequently than having the PCV system and pull of bunch of crap through the top end of the engine.

Keith
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1290
As Lewis stated, if you do run with the PCV system removed and run a breather(s), you need to change the oil much more frequently. Personally I feel it is better to run without a PCV system and change the oil more frequently than having the PCV system and pull of bunch of crap through the top end of the engine.

Keith
are you talking like every 1000 miles?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hennytime
are you talking like every 1000 miles?
About that or every two race series.

Keith
Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
One more thing. Has anyone used the UMI k member strano designed

Our K-member was not designed by Strano... it was designed by us but Sam saw the initial design and added some input such as longer A-Arm slots for caster and camber adjustment. The K-member will also work with the APS system, one turbo just needs tilted slightly... but we have quite a few people using it with the APS system.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1290

Keith
For a track only car you can run a vac pump to a vented collection can (or to evac valves in your header collectors) and not need any PCV system besides breathers & the evac. If just breathers though there will be issues from the moisture. (take your valve cover off & see the condensation rusting the rockers, etc.)

On our BBC Alky motors we run belt driven vac pumps & a adjustable vac relief valve (you don't want to pull more than 14-15" of vac or it pulls oil off the wrist pins). Fills the collection can up in 4-5 runs but we also change oil every few races to get the contamination out. As far as pulling the vapors through the top end, only the oil is really a power robber & carbon creator....the moisture, unburnt fuel, and combustion byproducts have almost no negative effect on the upper end & burn off nicely.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Our K-member was not designed by Strano... it was designed by us but Sam saw the initial design and added some input such as longer A-Arm slots for caster and camber adjustment. The K-member will also work with the APS system, one turbo just needs tilted slightly... but we have quite a few people using it with the APS system.
That's what I should have said was Sam had some input. Thats good to hear it will work with this kit.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Which k member will the kit work with? The regular double tube version or the reinforced version?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

I run breathers on a 100% street car. I rather change my mobil 1 every 2k and not have to worry about pulling in oil and possible detenation.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just throwing this out there. I plan on running a breather on each valve cover with the LS6 style valley cover hooked up to a sealed catch can then back to the intake. Under engine vacuum filtered air will be pulled into the valve covers, down into the crankcase and back out he LS6 valley cover flushing the harmful vapors out of the crankcase. Under WOT any crankcase pressure will be able to escape threw the same valve cover breathers.

I suggested this in another PCV thread and it was put down by others but it still seems like a good idea to me. The only potential problem I see with it is that you might get some oil mist out of the breathers on a high HP application. I think that problem could be solved by running a vented catch can off of each valve cover. Three catch cans might be a little excessive. I'll find out how bad the oil mist is pretty soon

Quick Reply: APS, little things