Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

building a 1300-1500hp turbo LSx ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twin 76's will be more efficient, but cost more. Also, you can still have an air to water intercooler and keep your passenger seat for the ladies. Just need to have the right people building your turbo kit
Awesome.... So can you guys mock up something like this on one of your motors down there for mockup and then send all the parts as a fabricated kit? So that I don't have to have my car sitting at a race shop for a hundred bucks a day???? Cuz that's my #1 worry if I decide to do a swapover....

Outlaw, that is one of the cleanest engine bays I have ever seen. Nice job, and just to let you know we can build you a COMPETELY RELIABLE sub 8.50 car. That is so easy for me to do now. Hell at the last race we attended (The Clash of The Titans) we were running 8.0's all day with our little 91.5 mm turbo. It would also be no problem to keep the passenger seat functional for the ladies
Coming from you guys down at LMR believe me that means ALOT. Thanks for the kind words. So dual or single is more of what i'm contemplating now. Hell if I can get by doing a single isn't the plumbing much easier? Seems like half of the headache once fit. Half of the oil lines, etc....

Other things to consider:

Dry sump system $3K
Transmission $4K
Converter $1
Rear End $3K
25.5 Cage $4-8K depending on if you can do it yourself or not

This also does not include the misc BS like hoses, gauges, fuel tanks, ice water resivor, radiator, water pump, shifter, etc, etc, etc
yeah totally agree with your numbers... Where i'm lucky is that this car i'll be doing this with is already a 1000-ish HP nitrous car..... Fuel system is stout, nasty tank, 10AN supply, 6An return 160lb injectors, FAST XFI, ATI TH400 with 4400 stall converter and a 9" Moser rear.... So I won't have to spend money getting the car together just the motor/turbo/intercooler setup....

I was hoping I could get away with it for about 12-15K.... doing the install and most everything else myself.... With my sponsors assisting as well where needed....
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
yeah totally agree with your numbers... Where i'm lucky is that this car i'll be doing this with is already a 1000-ish HP nitrous car..... Fuel system is stout, nasty tank, 10AN supply, 6An return 160lb injectors, FAST XFI, ATI TH400 with 4400 stall converter and a 9" Moser rear.... So I won't have to spend money getting the car together just the motor/turbo/intercooler setup....

I was hoping I could get away with it for about 12-15K.... doing the install and most everything else myself.... With my sponsors assisting as well where needed....
Okay... didn't catch you current set-up..that helps. You will be close then. Good luck...I have not even maxed my set-up out and I'm loving it!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
9 Second Club

your cars are crazy man.... yeah i've pretty much decided that i'm going to do a 408.... can't decide between twin 76's or one 91/94.....

decisions, decisions...
Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twin 76's or 94mm...hmm. Both are good setups....
Old 07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
9 Second Club

yeah i'm leaning toward the single for the ease of packaging it under the hood.... I think with one big one i'll have more mounting options and clearance versus two medium ones..... but we'll see.... Thanks for all the input...
Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

Single billet 106 ans be done with it
Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

your cars are crazy man.... yeah i've pretty much decided that i'm going to do a 408.... can't decide between twin 76's or one 91/94.....

decisions, decisions...
Yea, it will be easier and cheaper to go with the BIG single.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

So do you guys at LMR need the vehicle to fab a hot side for the turbo?? If you put the turbo in the front of the motor????? Just wondering if I would need to plan a trip to Texas.....

Hey stephen what is the status of your old car? The one I saw down in San Antonio when I was down there in 2006???? You still racing it??? Tore down for updates????

And yeah I'm leaning towards a big single.. Like a 94mm or so....
Old 07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

So do you guys at LMR need the vehicle to fab a hot side for the turbo?? If you put the turbo in the front of the motor????? Just wondering if I would need to plan a trip to Texas.....

Hey stephen what is the status of your old car? The one I saw down in San Antonio when I was down there in 2006???? You still racing it??? Tore down for updates????

And yeah I'm leaning towards a big single.. Like a 94mm or so....

It would definately be best for you to have the motor and everything else in the car when you bring it to us. That way there are no fitment issues like if you plan on running an external oil pump, motor plate etc etc....

Here are a few pics of the car now, wheelie bars and tin should be done this week!

Name:  9-22-07-5.jpg
Views: 3128
Size:  141.9 KB

Name:  9-22-07-6.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  165.8 KB

Name:  9-22-07-7.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  9-22-07-8.jpg
Views: 3133
Size:  154.2 KB

Name:  11-29-07-4.jpg
Views: 3137
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  11-29-07-5.jpg
Views: 3106
Size:  163.3 KB
Old 07-03-2008, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Uhhhhh Stephen where is the car????? All I see is a WHOLE LOTTA BARS..

seriously though, holy crap..... You building a TT5 terror or an outlaw 10.5 deal???? that friggin outrageous....

And yeah if I bring the car down to you guys i'll have the motor in it.....

Bout time you handled a real cage in that thing. When you were running like 8.0 down in SA with a mild steel cage I was like "That guy has the bigggest ***** ever".....

how badly damaged was the car when you hit the wall???? I had heard it wasn't very bad....
Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 PM

We are going to run true ten but we will be able to strap on the BIG hides to out run guys like Matt Harlan. However we will not be putting a LSX motor in it. We are going to run a 622 C.I.D. big block with twin GT55 PRO-MOD 91.5 mm turbos. The plan right now is to stick with gasoline but things may change and we may go with METHANOL. I can't wait to get the rolling chassis back so I can work my magic on it .
Old 07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree there is no car there just a bunch of bars....91.5 turbos huh.. What the hell kinda power does that make!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
I agree there is no car there just a bunch of bars....91.5 turbos huh.. What the hell kinda power does that make!
Yeah, what kind of power would you expect from something like that?
Old 07-03-2008, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Jason, I don't know if it's possible to build what your looking for, for 12-$15K. I would be extremely surprised if a major sponsor on here can build a LSX with 6 bolt heads to handle 1600 HP for under $20K with all supporting stuff. I just built my LSX 427 with out 6 bolt heads for 15K and I got lucky on some deals, there is alot of hidden costs in this. Now add on the custom turbo kit, turbo/s and all the other goodies, well, your looking at about double what you anticipated. Again, i just did the same thing with expecting to spend only about $17K and lets say it's about doubled on me. Folks may think different, but thats my experience doing something with that kind of potential.

Dan
Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by VENGEANCE
Yeah, what kind of power would you expect from something like that?
If we ever maxxed it out we could easily see 3000 + Horsepower. Each turbo can support a little over 1600 hp.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I'm looking at the financials of the whole thing right now..... Appreciate it Dan... What I would probably end up doing is keep cash in the bank and try to capitalize on people misfortune having to sell stuff for pennies on the dollar....

Like that shortblock LS2 that someone just linked on this thread for 3500 bucks..... would make a sick shortblock and wouldn't have the wait and associated crap you have to deal with when building a motor.... I also think if I make the jump it's gonna be a big single....

I have one other option as well... My current nitrous LT1 which is built as a pretty stout motor in itself is only a piston swap away from 8.5:1 compression.... I could then get to buying the turbo, intercooler, and start building headers for it.... I mean the block is half filled, splayed 4 bolt mains, Lunati crank and oliver rods... I've got close to 5K in just the rotating assy so it's a pretty durable engine.... Wonder what she'd do with a thumper strapped on the front???

I mean Big Rick went 8.08 with his turbo LTx motor.... can't be a half bad deal..

ultimately though I want the latest and greatest which is why i'm contemplating this in the background....
Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Agree, definately some deals are to be had out there, just be wary your not getting someone elses headache. Your motor with some pistons and a cam swap would be just fine IMO. Gives you that much more $$ to build a top notch turbo setup and your car already has all the supporting mods, just need a gear swap. Going LSX is nice, but man you have to buy everything from oil pan to coil packs, new intake, wiring harness, etc. I could have bought a new Z06 cash by now ...seriously! Enjoy the car the way it is for a while, your as bad as I am about doing something different all the time, your car is bad *** bro!!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

My LT1 is totally reliable. Twin GT 72's. I could drive it to the track 4hrs away run my 8.80's then drive it home. Im trying to work a few things out right now with the car. It should be faster imo, but it does weight 3700 with me in it right now. car put down 1050rwhp spinning the slicks on the dyno
Old 07-04-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Jason, I don't know if it's possible to build what your looking for, for 12-$15K. I would be extremely surprised if a major sponsor on here can build a LSX with 6 bolt heads to handle 1600 HP for under $20K with all supporting stuff. I just built my LSX 427 with out 6 bolt heads for 15K and I got lucky on some deals, there is alot of hidden costs in this. Now add on the custom turbo kit, turbo/s and all the other goodies, well, your looking at about double what you anticipated. Again, i just did the same thing with expecting to spend only about $17K and lets say it's about doubled on me. Folks may think different, but thats my experience doing something with that kind of potential.

Dan
I agree, all the motors we build to support 2000+ hp sell between $20-30k depending on which oil system, head intake combo, etc etc we decide to go with for you application. Dont get me wrong we can definately build you an LSX in the ballpark of $15k that will support the 1200hp you are looking for. All are longblocks are from intake to pan, and will soon be able to be dyno tested before they go out the door!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=I mean Big Rick went 8.08 with his turbo LTx motor.... can't be a half bad deal.. [/QUOTE]

Yes, but every pass we made that went 8.1 or quicker knocked the bearings out of it. If your going to spend the money to go fast, you want to get the best of the best stuff so you will not be pulling your motor after every 3-4 runs. You will end up saving ALOT of money in the long run. Thats what I tell all my customers because I have been down this road quite a few times!

Quick Reply: building a 1300-1500hp turbo LSx ?'s