Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

So many ways to go...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Bro, I am turbo so you know I'm speaking truth. The procharger kit from epp with the 8 rib set-up and FMIC is a pretty god damn nice slap on and drive package. Turbo set-ups are much more complicated, and more expensive.
I really can't see that going twin turbos on the F body is any more complicated or difficult or more expensive than any other form of forced induction. At the end of the day, both forms of FI are simply air pumps (turbos gas driven, superchargers belt driven) and both need upgraded fuel systems and tuning.

Peter
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peter@aps
I really can't see that going twin turbos on the F body is any more complicated or difficult or more expensive than any other form of forced induction.
Peter

Are you joking me? Or just trying to sell one of your kits? While I have heard yours is relatively well designed and complete......if you think it isn't more complicated or more expensive than a procharger kit......try again.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ninetres

Are you joking me? Or just trying to sell one of your kits? While I have heard yours is relatively well designed and complete......if you think it isn't more complicated or more expensive than a procharger kit......try again.
I'm deadly serious..........lol.

Both forms of FI require a fuel system and tuning so that amounts do the same degree of difficutly and cost imho. At APS it takes our techs just 3 days to install and dyno tune a twin turbo system. Maybe I take this view because APS is very experienced with twin turbo installs. Bottom line, if you deal with a shop who has a good deal of experience with turbo installs it's all a simple straight foward procedure.

Peter
Old 07-10-2008, 01:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peter@aps
I'm deadly serious..........lol.

Both forms of FI require a fuel system and tuning so that amounts do the same degree of difficutly and cost imho. At APS it takes our techs just 3 days to install and dyno tune a twin turbo system. Maybe I take this view because APS is very experienced with twin turbo installs. Bottom line, if you deal with a shop who has a good deal of experience with turbo installs it's all a simple straight foward procedure.

Peter
Thank you for proving my point. It takes my mechanic (who is NOT A procharger expert) less then 8 hrs to install a procharger kit. Sooooooooooooo more labor costs in installing a turbo kit. Most turbo kits (even APS) require tweaks here and there to make them fit from car to car (not a bad thing, its expected in the FI game, but time is money). Doesn't your kit also require a BMR K member?

Your kit also costs more than a procharger kit. Right?

This kit includes an appropriate fuel system:
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...x.html?item=34

How much is your basic F-body kit going for these days? I imagine shipping to US is a pretty penny to!

I think your turbo kit is BAD ***, and a GREAT PRICE for what you get. Don't get me wrong. I just think every member on this forum has different goals, budgets, and needs.

Last edited by ninetres; 07-10-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there any members who have driven their turbo car an extended amount of miles incident free? If going 30k miles on the street in a few years is too much to ask for then maybe the blower is for me. Working on my car is something that I enjoy very much, but I don't want to be 500 miles from my tools and have something go horribly wrong.

I am more than prepared to to the vertical radiator mod, yank out my washer fluid res, pull off the bumper, etc. to get a turbo installed. I have all the tools for fabrication at my disposal... hell, Im a manager at Harbor Freight. The initial work is of no concern to me. Its the overall cost of the initial build, and then the recurring cost to keep it wife friendly that I am concerned with most.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

I'm going through the same thing right now KurtRardin, tho I've been in/worked on procharged cars and it didn't budge me and i'm still all about my turbo kit. I'd only be procharged if it was a F1A and thats it. Only confusion I have is between APS and an OFI kit, I pretty much was dead set on OFI but seems there have been issues with customer service and delivery delays that are too extreme for my likings even though when I talk to Joel he seems great, 5-6K is nothing for me to sneeze at though and risk problems. I love the idea of a single 76mm in a DD, tune it to 7-8 pounds and build everything else up then when your ready just turn up the boost I plan on running just 5lbs till the car is where i'd like it to be. Much easier to do that on a turbo setup. APS on the other hand makes a fantastic TT kit, I just LOVE the sound of a big single lol..so its hard to be like fineeee i'll go APS. The only thing i've seen is a couple overheating issues(which is important to me I live in FL.) and the intake sucking shut at high boost(12-14lbs). Also I wouldn't look at it needing a K-Member as a downfall. You would want to upgrade that anyways, makes everything easier and lighter to put back in.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
hell, Im a manager at Harbor Freight.
Too bad you don't work at the one down here, i'd help ya and beg you to borrow tools lol

Last edited by TripleWhite96; 07-10-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
In what way would a supercharger setup be cheaper? I'm not trying to sound like a smart-***, just wondering. With a ProCharger D1SC, the kit still isnt complete. You still have to buy injectors, fuel pump, tuning, crank pin and new balancer (right?), and the cost of the kit is roughly the same as a turbo kit.
speed inc d1sc race kit. check it out. i got mine w/o the fmic they have and went with the epp one.

im no expert on FI, but I chose the procharger for simplicity. all I want is 500-500rwhp. and it seems every turbo car keeps having trouble and keeps eating up money. i wanted a simple bolt on and almost no maintenence. we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by 99ssleeper; 07-10-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: So many ways to go...