Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Are exhaust cutouts worth it on a turbo car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have cutout and turbos and nitrous. They all work just fine together. Turbos gain a lot of power with cutouts .The best exhaust on turbo car is bascially none. The sts runs no muffler nothing.

I also like my turbo cars because they are stealthy .With cutout closed my car is not very loud at all. With it open you can also hear the turbos much better which is also fine with me. And I like what you said.I can run around say at 7.5psi you can't go under your gates on external gates but you can go under by controlling with your right foot.
At wot though you go to gate boost or sometimes creep past it some.

But anyway can have 7.5 psi for general street use. Still about 750 engine hp with no spray on my combo and then dial it up to say 15psi and have 1000rwhp with spray and boost. And you can also do various methods of ramping up the boost with rpm or gear ,etc.

Nice to have options.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I have seen cars blown up by changing the exhaust going big and cutting out the cat as well.but these are internally gated turbs. External gates keep control much better as they are much bigger than little internal gates .
Most of the big dogs run external gates.
maybe engineer mike was on internal gate? If he was on external almost sound like he had a crappy gate or line fell off it or something.
Quality gates are one thing you don't cheap on for good reason. I like tial and turbomsmart personally. Both good stuff.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dear God, what all did you have to do to your engine to be able to run 15 psi in it without it going pop?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
....but these are internally gated turbs. External gates keep control much better as they are much bigger than little internal gates .
Most of the big dogs run external gates.
maybe engineer mike was on internal gate? If he was on external almost sound like he had a crappy gate or line fell off it or something.
Quality gates are one thing you don't cheap on for good reason. I like tial and turbomsmart personally. Both good stuff.
I have a Tial external gate. Was running ~18 psi boost, removed the exhaust system, and the boost went to the moon and blew both head gaskets. It's not an indicator of the wastegate quality, but an indicator of just how bad the Aerochamber was. The only way prevention could have been built in was to have a feedback electronic boost controller.
The following users liked this post:
superchargedintrigue (04-06-2023)
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been there done that on my first pass with the OFI kit...same result as well

Quick Reply: Are exhaust cutouts worth it on a turbo car?