Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Auto or Manual? What are you running and why?
Auto-Street
36.36%
Auto-Track
13.64%
Manual-Street
46.36%
Manual-Track
3.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Auto turbocharged vs. Manual turbocharged

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres

You sound like an idiot. Just FYI. The only cars trapping near 200mph are the all out $100k+ drag cars that are sponsored. Keep freeway racing supras bro with your mad tyte shifts!!!!!!!
Right. Youre the one who doesnt have anything intelligent to say so youre resorting to name calling. And fyi, you can build a seven second car for WAY less than 100k. If you really think that you cant, Id look in the mirror to find the idiot. Just FYI. LSX block, suspension, cage, good heads, big turbo/a2w, glide, alumastars, nice convertor, fuel system, tune, etc. round you out a 7 second car for about 50k depending on labor. Less than a z06. You might want to actually know what youre talking about somewhat before you jump into threads and make yourself look like a fool.

zombie:

my car was a street car when it was a nitrous car. 93 octane, full interior, almost daily driven. Never trailered to the track and went consistent bottom tens @ 130 without any issue. Stock k member and everything. You arent doing anything special saying your car is a street car. Why did you put your cars weight in your sig? Is that to justify why it didnt go faster? My car was full weight too, thats nothing special.

You two are the reason the internet is full of a bunch of bs. You try to have a civil conversation with someone, then one reverts to making snide remarks, and the other goes to name calling. Goddamn I wish i could be as badass as you guys.

Last edited by VENGEANCE; 07-16-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VENGEANCE
Right. Youre the one who doesnt have anything intelligent to say so youre resorting to name calling. And fyi, you can build a seven second car for WAY less than 100k. If you really think that you cant, Id look in the mirror to find the idiot. Just FYI. LSX block, suspension, cage, good heads, big turbo/a2w, glide, alumastars, nice convertor, fuel system, tune, etc. round you out a 7 second car for about 50k depending on labor. Less than a z06. You might want to actually know what youre talking about somewhat before you jump into threads and make yourself look like a fool.

zombie:

my car was a street car when it was a nitrous car. 93 octane, full interior, almost daily driven. Never trailered to the track and went consistent bottom tens @ 130 without any issue. Stock k member and everything. You arent doing anything special saying your car is a street car. Why did you put your cars weight in your sig? Is that to justify why it didnt go faster? My car was full weight too, thats nothing special.
You are the one bashing Zombie in this tread. Maybe you forgot he is one of the fastest rearmount members on the board....who DD his car.

I haven't seen one member post up 7 second videos or slips whose car is not well into the 100k dollar territory. Can you shoot me some links? I missed them. If not....STFU. The list you posted is well over 50k BTW. 2000hp ready LSX block, BIG single, 6 bolt heads, 2000hp A2W, and a 7.50 certed cage is over $50k by itself. Don't get me started on labor and all of the other parts.

Have you built a 7 second car for $50k? If so thats ****. Post up pics and specs. I for one, have built a 10 flat car that probably cost me OVER $50k.

Are there any members supporting your claims? Or backing you up? I still think you sound like the idiot defending your 100-200mph ricer freeway races and all of these magical budget 7 second cars.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are the one bashing Zombie in this tread. Maybe you forgot he is one of the fastest rearmount members on the board....who DD his car.
Car hasn't been a DD for 2 years now. I only drive it when I feel like it, and I don't feel like beating on a turbo car when its 110+ outside. My DD is an 02 Z06
Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't seen one member post up 7 second videos or slips whose car is not well into the 100k dollar territory. Can you shoot me some links? I missed them. If not....STFU. The list you posted is well over 50k BTW. 2000hp ready LSX block, BIG single, 6 bolt heads, 2000hp A2W, and a 7.50 certed cage is over $50k by itself. Don't get me started on labor and all of the other parts.

Have you built a 7 second car for $50k? If so thats ****. Post up pics and specs. I for one, have built a 10 flat car that probably cost me OVER $50k.

Are there any members supporting your claims? Or backing you up? I still think you sound like the idiot defending your 100-200mph ricer freeway races and all of these magical budget 7 second cars.
Ok. whatever. Im done arguing with you. I never attacked zombie first, he was the one who started with the "im LOLing at you" comments.

The point of this thread was to state whether you preferred a manual or an auto, and why. Thats what I did, and evidently its wrong to have an opinion.

And to be honest I dont know where youre buying your parts from, but the list I posted is well under 50k. The cage was the most expensive part other than the motor (which id put at about 12k), and theres a guy here in NC that builds 25.5 cages for right at 7k installed. Turbo = 2k, IC = 2k, build your own turbo system for dirt cheap, truck manifolds are basically free and have been 7's on the ohio boys car i remember off the top of my head, beef 12 bolt 2k, etc. if you want to add everything up to prove me wrong, feel free. I made a rough estimate that if you did alot of it yourself, it can be done easily. I stand by my assumption.

But thats not really the point of this thread again, is it.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zombie
Car hasn't been a DD for 2 years now. I only drive it when I feel like it, and I don't feel like beating on a turbo car when its 110+ outside. My DD is an 02 Z06
Neither is mine, 116 is way too expensive. Gas period is way too expensive to drive it every day.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddnspider
im calling BS on that 1 unless youre making over 1000 rwhp.otherwise they couldnt drive to save their life.I watched a turbo busa walk away from an 800rwhp nitrous corvette that was an auto.

and to stay on topic.im sure having a th400/auto is awesome for a mostly track car.but for a car that rarely seeing the track i prefer a stick.i have a t56 and just put in a new clutch from a different company,doing a little experimenting
.........lol... I do have around 1000rwhp.....with the help of a t101....and as of today it's a ez-94x...makes about the same power and spool should be better.... I will find out for sure tonight when traffic dies down!!!
BTW....the race was from 2nd gear to most of forth gear...I don't want to go faster then 160mph on the street....no thanks....and the way I can shift that six speed I don't think I will ever go back to an auto....unless I go full race...

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 07-16-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
.........lol... I do have around 1000rwhp.....with the help of a t101....and as of today it's a ez-94x...makes about the same power and spool should be better.... I will find out for sure tonight when traffic dies down!!!
Video!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get this thread back on track, i'm creating a new one

Let's keep the turd stuff in my new thread please
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/955205-pros-cons-t56-vs-th400-turbo-car-aka-why-t56-turbo-cars-suck.html

Last edited by Zombie; 07-16-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Video!
I thought about bringing the camera too....but then I would need a passenger, and I like not putting more people then nessessary at risk. Beside ...the extra weight would hinder me......
Old 07-16-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default s

You do understand that seven second cars aren't merely slapped together? Its not just the cost of the parts. Mild enthusiasts, such as myself, don't just slap together a 7 second car. It takes a team of people who know what they're doing. There is a considerable difference between slapping H/C/I and some spray on a car and running low-mid 10s and building a big cubed FI car and going 7s.

To get an idea of what goes into a sub 8 second car, Look at this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/774191-sfi-25-2-mustang-lsx-build-renegade.html

However, I do think that someone could put a car together for less than $100 grand and run 7s. Would probably cost more than $50K though.

BTW, which RPM tuned your car?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by landonew
You do understand that seven second cars aren't merely slapped together? Its not just the cost of the parts. Mild enthusiasts, such as myself, don't just slap together a 7 second car. It takes a team of people who know what they're doing. There is a considerable difference between slapping H/C/I and some spray on a car and running low-mid 10s and building a big cubed FI car and going 7s.

To get an idea of what goes into a sub 8 second car, Look at this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774191

However, I do think that someone could put a car together for less than $100 grand and run 7s. Would probably cost more than $50K though.

BTW, which RPM tuned your car?
I totally agree, I didnt build my car myself either, and its not going to be going 7's. I was talking from purely a dollar standpoint.

And the RPM in Garner, NC.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
BTW....the race was from 2nd gear to most of forth gear...I don't want to go faster then 160mph on the street....no thanks....and the way I can shift that six speed I don't think I will ever go back to an auto....unless I go full race...
sounds sweet!post up some pics....but hey we cant let u make a post like your original without someone calling it lmao congrats.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I asked a similar question with poll results a while back.
I think it pertains to what your asking here.

let me dig it up for you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/690980-auto-sc-manual-turbo.html
Old 07-19-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Auto vs Manual

I had a supercharged auto car, Loved it but after blowing up 4 or 5 4L60E's I went with a fully manual 700R4, The only thing I did not like was that every time is shifted, even just driving around it would snap your neck off!! so I went Manual, well after 4 clutches later I have not found one that would hold, Now I am going Turbo with the T-56 and will see.. Some people can shift pretty quick, Myself I never let off the gas, keep it floored during shifts, But you will NEVER out shift an automatic. Fun Factor = Stick, Performance = Auto in my opinion..
Old 07-19-2008, 08:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

How much power do you have ? Im surprised you cant find a clutch to hold....you must be well into 4 figures ???
Old 07-19-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
How much power do you have ? Im surprised you cant find a clutch to hold....you must be well into 4 figures ???

Well I should clarify a Street Clutch, Yea a 4 puck race clutch would work at the track but would be a bitch on the street, My car sees the track once a year, Usually at the LS1 Tech Shoot Out, It is a true DD, Power is 648 RWHP/612 TQ on Pump Gas and 722 RWHP/713 TQ on Fast Gas....So far I have only managed an 11.4 @ 138 MPH with a slipping clutch..
Old 07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Well I should clarify a Street Clutch, Yea a 4 puck race clutch would work at the track but would be a bitch on the street, My car sees the track once a year, Usually at the LS1 Tech Shoot Out, It is a true DD, Power is 648 RWHP/612 TQ on Pump Gas and 722 RWHP/713 TQ on Fast Gas....So far I have only managed an 11.4 @ 138 MPH with a slipping clutch..
Any of the big twin disk clutches could hold your power without breaking a sweat, no offense.

And some are as streetable as OEM.

In fact, with the Exo-Skel, in my case, the clutch works with all the factory hydraulics and the pedal pressure is now lighter than stock.

My car's driven only on the street, many times in traffic, and NEVER goes to the track.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boosted 99 TA
My car is a M6 and thats what i wanted, i just think its more fun to drive, i make decent power, i know an auto would make more sense. Im not lookin to be the fastest guy around town, i have fun driving my car, its still fast and thats what matters to me.
this is the same way i feel about it i have an auto but i wish i had a m6 just because it would be more fun to drive
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Any of the big twin disk clutches could hold your power without breaking a sweat, no offense.

And some are as streetable as OEM.

In fact, with the Exo-Skel, in my case, the clutch works with all the factory hydraulics and the pedal pressure is now lighter than stock.

My car's driven only on the street, many times in traffic, and NEVER goes to the track.
I am looking into those now, My Spec Stage 3+ was quoted at 750lbs of torque capability, of course the spec tech told me with my combo this was no problem, well yes it is. Really doesn't make sense, If I let out and let the clutch engage then hammer down, it will hold, but I have to do this in every gear, If I power shift or launch at like 4500 it will just slip and go straight to the rev limiter...
Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

I had a manual with a single turbo for a while then when I put the APS kit on i changed it to a 4l80e
I love banging gears but with the turbo the auto is hands down better
when you stomp on the loud pedal it spools instantly and it is gone
with the manual I always had to wait for the turbo to spool up even when I was in the boost RPM range with the auto I have a 3000 RPM stall and at cruise speed it goes to 5500 instantly and is at full boost with just a stomp of the gas

Quick Reply: Auto turbocharged vs. Manual turbocharged