Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Turbo ZO6 by Speed Inc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question about the intake ports on the cylinder head. How come the intake ports are more of a square instead of the long oval desgin? I wish I had a twin turbo vette.LOL. What is the power est. to be? !!!NICE!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats sick.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
FormerVendor

W8N2SQZ- I hope so! Just crossing my fingers that it will fit where I want it to.

RsSean- That is the LS7 port design. Power will be in the 1000-1100rwhp range.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Well that thing is going to be a beast. Well I leraned something new today about hte desgin of the heads on a ls7
Old 07-26-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Wow this will be an amazing car.

I really wish I had the cash to do something like that myself.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jim, where do you plan to put it?

Roy and I had a discussion/debate about whether or not the pump will work how you want it to.

When he rebuilt the used pump I bought a few months back, I asked if he could do what you want out if the pump and he said he could but.....

Good luck with the build buddy,
Glenn
Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 PM
FormerVendor

Glenn,

I plan to put it on the lower drivers side of the engine and run it off the main serpentine. At first I just wanted to have a mechanical scavenge for the turbos but then figured if I was going through the trouble why not add a scavenge stage to the engine as well.

Even if it isn't enough combined scavenge to draw a vacuum on the crankcase it can only help. (But I do think it will be capable of drawing a slight vacuum considering it's being driven at 125%)
Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jim I agree and Roy agreed that it would pull some, but doesn't think it will be enough for your set up and the power you will be making.

What rings are you running on the motor?

I am looking forward to your results as I would like to try the same setup on the end of my pump.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by W8N2SQZ
Jim I agree and Roy agreed that it would pull some, but doesn't think it will be enough for your set up and the power you will be making.

What rings are you running on the motor?

I am looking forward to your results as I would like to try the same setup on the end of my pump.
I'm running PVD coated stainless top ring and ductile iron second, std tension. Even if it only pulls a few inches I'll be happy
Old 08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

I got the pump, which is a very nice piece. Thanks Roy! It didn't fit down low as I originally planned so I ended up mounting it on the passenger side cylinder head.

I milled up a bracket for the upper mounting bolt and also a standoff for the idler pulley. (the pump is now the tensioner).
Attached Thumbnails Twin Turbo ZO6 by Speed Inc.-3-stage-pump-001.jpg   Twin Turbo ZO6 by Speed Inc.-3-stage-pump-002.jpg   Twin Turbo ZO6 by Speed Inc.-3-stage-pump-003.jpg  
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

She looks good Jim
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I got the pump, which is a very nice piece. Thanks Roy! It didn't fit down low as I originally planned so I ended up mounting it on the passenger side cylinder head.

I milled up a bracket for the upper mounting bolt and also a standoff for the idler pulley. (the pump is now the tensioner).
Jim, set-up looks like it's going to be amazing!

What are the advantages of running a scavange pump like that over just a simple breather set-up? Seems like a lot of extra money and work to incorporate that into the system, must be worth it for you to do it, I'm just wondering why and if I should look into doing something like this with my set-up.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

INTMD8 - Wow, this is my dream car........... I wish, its going to be the sickest car on this site IMO. Love it!

rufretic - Scavenging pumps are a great idea for high powered cars, epecially race cars in boost allot. Your rings will thank you allot for it as well as your pistons.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Jim how long until we can expect to see this car at Byron? I'd like to see you and the white stang that was with you guys line up. I believe his name was Dan. Awsome setup btw.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

dayum! every car the man touches are spectacular
I'd hate to have to pay for the parts though
Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice build.Subscribing
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I'm starting the twin turbo build on my ZO6 so I thought I would post some pics and info. I will scale the car before/after to have an exact weight difference.

Here is the basic parts list-

427ci engine, World Warhawk block, LS7 crank, Callies compstar rods, CP pistons (coated), pvd coated stainless top ring/ductile second ring, coated bearings.

ETP LS7 heads, 6 bolts per cyl, PSI valvesprings, Xceldyne retainers/locks, Smith Bros pushrods, LS7 rockers w/harland sharp bearing upgrade, Comp Cam hyd roller, Morel link bar lifters. LS7 intake manifold.

Modified LS7 oil pan w/extra pickup going to external -12 a/n port. Internal volume reduced. Belt driven 3 stage external pump. 2 stages for turbo scavenging, 1 larger section as an additional scavenge stage to the engine (hence the extra pickup in the pan).

APS twin turbo system w/ceramic coated manifolds and turbo housings.

McLeod RXT twin disc clutch and Quick time bellhousing.

Driveshaft shop axles/hubs, diff output shafts, driveshaft.

RPM Level 5 T6060 Thanks RPM!!!

Eboost 2 controller w/gear based boost control.

HP tuners 2.5bar Speed Density operating system.

I'll update this thread with info and pics as the build continues.

jim@speedinc.com
what fuel system setup are you going with?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks guys.

Lou- I don't see any problem with the electric pumps used for turbo scavenge but I just prefer mechanical. Since I was going through the trouble to add the mechanical pump I figured why not add another stage of scavenge to the engine. Reason being is the LS7 oiling system has one scavenge stage which is not enough to pull a negative pressure on the crankcase. With the addition of this external scavenge I have better capability of returning oil from the engine to the dry sump tank and it will likely be capable of pulling a slight negative pressure on the crankcase (which helps ring seal and reduces windage).

You can run a vacuum pump on a wet sump engine but I wouldn't consider it a necessity.

DTB LS1- I have no deadline for the car as I'm just building it in what spare time I have here at the shop. I'm guessing it should be on the dyno in 3-4 weeks. You'll see it at Byron shortly after I get kicked out of GLD for no safety equipment

Ryne@cms- I'm using the supplied APS fuel system with the addition of fuel filters and bosch motorsport high impedence injectors which flow 100lbs/hr at 4bar. (which I bought used from Lingenfelter). If I can't get it to idle relatively clean I'll probably switch them out for Racetronix 79's and run them at 5bar base.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Coal Mining Director

Very, very nice Jim. Can't wait for the results. GT35's with +1AR will make some wicked power with a quick spool.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn! This is beyond my imagination. I thought your 96 SS was the sickest street car, & now this!

What ever happened to your 96 SS?

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo ZO6 by Speed Inc.