Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

?'s dual ball bearing vs traditional journal bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s dual ball bearing vs traditional journal bearing

im interested in the actual real world differences between DBB and journal bearing

not copy and paste or ive heard this or that...

can the people with DBB turbos please chime in and let me know the experiences they have had with them good and bad....

for example spool time boost response, longevity, power, differences.. etc etc

thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2008, 03:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dbb spools faster. No personal experience but apples for apples it should spool a couple hundred RPMS sooner.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a good read for you, And some others,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...696&highlight=
Old 07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Launching!

thanks for the link but still im looking for a few people with them ON a LS1 CAR to chime in

actual real world dynos and experiences ive read plenty about them just wanna know how they work in our setups in the practical real world sense
Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have put on both ball bearing turbos and journal bearing turbos.The ball bearing turbos spool several 100 rpm's quicker.For combos that are using a turbo on the large size for the engine it is a great help,otherwise ther is no great benefit-no real hp difference.I like the ball bearing turbos on the v-6 stuff we do.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Launching!

thanks alot thats the kinda input i need i am goin a little large on the exhaust side so wanted input

also did you notice any differnce in the area under the curve ?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

maybe a little,but it was not a direct a-b comparison,just real similar combos with different turbos
Old 07-19-2008, 12:17 PM
FormerVendor

From what I have experienced std bearing turbos have better street car longevity.
I believe that ball bearing turbos are more susceptable to contaminants than their std bearing counterparts, this can be helped by adding a small 10 micron filter to the oil feed line.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Launching!

thank you i was planing on adding a separate cooler also for the oil goin to the turbo I.E. some where before the turbo
Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i will add a basic comment

there is a reason that all OEM turbos have hydrodyamic journal bearings vs ball bearings. Ball bearings are good for reducing lag, but sacrifice longevity
Old 07-19-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanO

there is a reason that all OEM turbos have hydrodyamic journal bearings vs ball bearings. Ball bearings are good for reducing lag, but sacrifice longevity

We have spoken to CAT and Perkins about this....it comes from a money standpoint as to why they use journal over BB. Also servicing is easily done on a journal where its not on a BB, so that is a plus I will agree. Makes sense when you buy 200 turbos at a time. $300-$400 difference per turbo become a big amount after buying 200 or more. Especially at this time with $5 diesel.....cost has to be cut where ever they can. JZ would probably be the one to talk to about this.....he talks with the big companies quite a bit.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DanO

Many Subarus have IHI units which have BB cores. Not full BB admittedly, but they do run BB's on the thrust side AFAIK.

Again, its all down to cost.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:49 PM
FormerVendor

i have not seem any longevity problems with ball bearing turbos when properly maintained,most of the problems come from people not changing oil and getting dirt in the bearings
Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DBB turbos also tend to have a faster transitional response vs journal bearing. Having had both I don't feel the extra cost of a DBB justifies their small advantage (my oppinion).
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a question about oiling between the two. does a Ball bearing turbo have a greater or reduced resistance to oil getting past the seals?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
I have a question about oiling between the two. does a Ball bearing turbo have a greater or reduced resistance to oil getting past the seals?
Good question. I asked Precision about this a while back and again recently and theys said no both times. Take that for what its worth??

But I can tell you like Shawn just did I did notice the difference in DBB turbos and Journal. Spool is quicker for sure and the boost drop from shifting gears in a manual is noticible. Now for another part of that is when making 4 diggit HP to the tires. That extra lag could be good for traction on the hit and when shifting gears on a clutch that could be on the edge of its power rating or traction again??? Just depends on the setup and what its being used for. Race cars I don't believe it matters a ton, as long as its properly sized somewhat LOL! They usually have time to spool at the line and then most are automatics so no real boost drop between gears. GL! This topic had been debated many times and it all comes down to personal preference. PPl can and will justify there choice LOL! Sorta like clutches and exhausts lol!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Not LS engine, but I've used a 62-1 turbonetics with a .63 ar t3 housing and a GT35 with a .82 T3 housing on my car, the 62 with a JB and the garrett with bb. The garrett lights off at the same time, if not a little sooner and comes in harder than the jb turbo did. It is also making more power at the same boost as the old turbo due to the larger turbine. Never had either set up on the dyno, but the old jb went around 120 at the track at 25psi, and I think the new one will trap that now on 20 psi, judging by the data logs, but will find out soon. I had almost 30k on the jb turbo and it still had no shaft play. Cant speak for the BB turbo yet as there is only 3k on it, but I do change my oil every 1k miles on the car.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:15 PM
Teching In

nuff said

Quick Reply: ?'s dual ball bearing vs traditional journal bearing