Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AMS-1000 Boost Controler

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my honda, it had the ams-1000 in it. Over 830whp and my car had traction pretty much all gears with slicks at the track.

What ems are most of you boost guys using? Stock with a chip in it? Im pretty sure that all gears give a certain voltage, you just have to find out what it is and setup the nlr to that, so that you can boost by gear with the ramp feature.

Once you get the 1000 setup, its easy as cake to change anything. I would drive my car home from the local 1/8th mile track, I would change the boost settings before I left so I could play with some cars, and bikes on the way home.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not all of us run autos in order to take advantage of the boost by gear feature.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Not all of us run autos in order to take advantage of the boost by gear feature.
There should be some sort of output for the gear your in. The stock ecu makes fuel corrections, for each gear, iat, barometric pres. etc etc. Im not sure which ecu most of you guys are using, if its stock, then the software you are tuning your car with will show the gears your in on your datalogs.

If your using a standalone ecu, Im sure there is a gear output source.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First time I heard of that. I use the OEM LS1 ECU. Can anyone else either agree or disagree with the above statement?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AMS-1000 speed based boost control

In case this is of interest, our MPH activated switch (STOV-001) also has a stage output and an analog voltage output for vehicle speed that you can use on the AMS-1000 to have speed based boost control if you want to increase boost at higher speeds when you have less traction problems.

Here is a link to the product instructions:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/document...ctionsv2.1.pdf

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
oh-yeah,if you looking for one,i am a dealer for them
Old 08-16-2008, 01:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Factory ECU gear output

The factory LS1 ECM or PCM doesn't have a gear based output although you could probably look at the scan tool/diagnostic information on the data bus (serial data or CAN data depending on the vehicle) and then convert that output to an analog voltage output or a frequency output (depending on what you need for the boost control system you are using).

Some of the aftermarket scan tool hardware has output capability (EFILive and I think HPTuners for example) so you might be able to program them to pulse an output or provide and analog output for gear position).

As I mentioned in my previous post, our MPH switch has an output based on vehicle speed. It has two such outputs (in addition to the normally open and normally closed switched outputs) - one is a simple analog output of vehicle speed. The other is a pulsed output meant to simulate a gear change switch like that used on many racing transmissions to indicate a gear change has occured.

Our MPH switch gets its vehicle speed from the factory ECM or PCM. It takes the 4000 pulse per mile (ppm) output used on most of the newer GM vehilces and converts it to vehicle speed.

BTW - we have several unused switch positions on our MPH switch so if you have some other pulse per mile configuration that you feel we need to add for use on some other GM, aftermarket or other OE application, just email me the info and I will see if we can add it. We can't use the 128,000 ABS pulse per mile signal though (too high a pulse count).

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
First time I heard of that. I use the OEM LS1 ECU. Can anyone else either agree or disagree with the above statement?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

jason, it is too bad your box takes square 12vdc wave to make the output. that means our a/c square wave wheel sensor still has to be processed by the stock computer to be outputted in the manner this box needs.

i would say lots of the cars in this thread do not have a stock computer on board.

perhaps the bigger dissapointment is that vehicle speed is based off the rear speed sensor.. rear wheels spinning will send your boost up = not good

if you made a box that could hook directly to a front abs sensor and give this ouput then i would buy one for use with my e boost 2.

please let me know if i got any of that wrong.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Speed output box

Our box was specifically designed for the stock GM ECM/PCM vehicles. The speed output is based on what ever the factory ECU uses for speed. In most cases that is the rear wheels.

Because of the massive number of different sensor/reluctor combinations that exist it would take a very different box to take the pre ECU signal and it would require more calibration by the user to account for tooth count, tire size, gearing (if before the differential).

I don't think our box could take the ABS output but I will check if we could add that (if it can be done in software). If it would take a hardware change then we probably couldn't add that feature (at least not right away). The other thing I will need to find out is how many different ABS wheel speed output configurations GM (and maybe other manufacturers) use.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
jason, it is too bad your box takes square 12vdc wave to make the output. that means our a/c square wave wheel sensor still has to be processed by the stock computer to be outputted in the manner this box needs.

i would say lots of the cars in this thread do not have a stock computer on board.

perhaps the bigger dissapointment is that vehicle speed is based off the rear speed sensor.. rear wheels spinning will send your boost up = not good

if you made a box that could hook directly to a front abs sensor and give this ouput then i would buy one for use with my e boost 2.

please let me know if i got any of that wrong.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AMS-1000 is on the fastest 2 wheel and 4 wheel vehicles out there.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
AMS-1000 is on the fastest 2 wheel and 4 wheel vehicles out there.
not all of them
Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quite a few people run the MSD.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

they would pick up with the ams-1000
Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

They tried it and went back to the MSD.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 PM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Who are you talking about? Thats a first. If they needed some help they should have called me.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The AMS is a nice unit, I have one on my car, but don't sell the MSD short. It works just as well. I've seen the pressure logs from both units on Wolfes car....
Old 08-23-2008, 07:11 PM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

I beg to differ. You can do things with the ams that is just not possible with a PID loop.

Plenty of options out there for people to run.

Ill put a controller on a car with another unit to prove it.

Have a good weekend boys

Last edited by NLR; 08-23-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

absulotly love it
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Teching In

I'm currently finishing up work on weatherproofing and final fitment of a shift position sensor that allows true boost by gear for many different cars and will be using the crane cams "street shark" car shown in the picture to figure out how to fit it to the GM flavored M6.

This is true boost by gear we use with the ams1000 boost controller meaning you can go through the gears and the display on the ams1000 will show what gear you are in and apply boost control based on that gear regardless of car speed.

This is important because gear ratio determines torque to the wheels...........not vehicle speed.

For the last two years it's worked well enough for us to hit over 270 (unofficial) in the standing mile (252.9 official) even when someone set the boost levels far too high for the lower gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMuPknhk67I

Look for this car to take the record over 270 sometime this year but don't expect that at texas as the venue is proving too short in length.

We've moved the shop and will be having a grand opening in march.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5610284_n.jpg

Though this post is nearly the same as another one here, it is not a spam post.

This is a post offering a solution to questions asked.

In the coming weeks, I will be working with other boost controller manufacturers to achieve true "boost by gear" with thier hardware.

Last edited by HowlerMonkey; 02-24-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: AMS-1000 Boost Controler