Default Re: What oil do you all run in your forged internals boost motor

Yeah, it's close to $8 bucks.

These pdf's are good reading.
Those serious about oil might want to read them:

"Is Amsoil Series 2000 really better than Red Line?"
http://www.blackls1ta.com/AmsoilS2000.pdf

Redline Oil Specs and Claims
http://www.blackls1ta.com/MotorOilTR0203.pdf

Note the testing philosophy and engine builders' claim near the end of hte first article:

We have performed these tests at an independent testing laboratory
using coded names to insure an unbiased result.
We have proven Red Line to provide excellent engine protection and these results confirm what engine builders have been describing to us for years.

Old 08-28-2003, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want an educated opinion on this, you'll want to search for Patman's input. Outside of BobTheOilGuy (or whatever) he's the next best Oil-Genius.

Give him a page, or do a search for Patman.

SC-
Old 08-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Isnt this really a no answer question. Just because every motor is different. Depending on your clearances in the motor you build. This will dramaticly effect the viscosity of oil you should use. I know if i was running a some what loose motor i would never run what to run the same type of oil as someone with a close tollance motor. I think that most people run what they have heard works best for other people instead of there application. I dont know i could be wrong, but it my two cents.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Isnt this really a no answer question. Just because every motor is different. Depending on your clearances in the motor you build. This will dramaticly effect the viscosity of oil you should use. I know if i was running a some what loose motor i would never run what to run the same type of oil as someone with a close tollance motor. I think that most people run what they have heard works best for other people instead of there application. I dont know i could be wrong, but it my two cents.
That is a reasonable assessment, I think... this was also the point I was making.

My decision to use 10W-40 Synthetic is based on an LS1 motor, forged and built to the tolerances for a supercharged street/strip car. I think it is the BEST viscosity for my application.

If it were pure "strip" and tolerances were looser, I my would use 15/50, but STILL I'd use synthetic with this engine.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

in a blown motor you should be changing oil every 2500 miles or so. With oil intervals that close the type of oil you use isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be imo
Old 08-29-2003, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Jimmy. My brother had his engine rebuilt after 120,000 miles. 70,000 of which were with the blower. He used both synthetic semi synthetic and regular over the lifetime of that engine.. Majority of the time though he used regular oil. The machine shop said BS this motor has 120,000 miles on it. It's in too good of shape. It's all about changing it every 3,000 miles IMO.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used Mobil 1 syntehetic Delvac 5W 40 before and it was awesome. Patman really liked that one. I am running 5W30 Mobil 1 now.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

let me say one more thing before someone yells at me.

IMO the only time you DO NEED TO WORRY is when you have an extreme high effort high rpm engine where oil temps get near the edge A LOT.

This is why a lot of the RX-7 guys who rely on their oil to turn their 8000-10000rpm engines use redline products.

otherwise if you dont have a huge rpm turning, high effort, high oil temp type of motor. Just go with what you are comfortable with and just change it frequently

Quick Reply: What oil do you all run in your forged internals boost motor