Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Got some dyno numbers and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Got some dyno numbers and have some questions

OK, I got my 402/F-1R combo (spec in sig) dynoed yesterday and was alittle disappointed with the results. According the the DynoJet, temp was 84F, humidity was 36%, barometer was 29.4, SAE correction was 1.02. One the hit of the throttle, my AFR started at 11:1 and bleed off to 12:1, running 19.5 degrees of timing, engine temps was 165, inlet temps started at 84 and stopped at 104, and the MAP sensor read 32.77 psia which is about 18.27psi of boost. I was running on BP 93-octane and had my intercooler tank packed with ice. It was consistantly about 750whp. To me that sound low for my setup. Now, we were having problems with the ignition induction clamp picking up a good signal for engine RPMs. I have NGK -8 race plugs gapped at .032", Taylor 10.4mm wires and factory replacement coil pack that are less than a year old. Could my ignition system not keep up with the boost? Could there be other things causing this low output? BTW, the rev limiter is set at 6900rpm and the blower is maxed out.
Attached Thumbnails Got some dyno numbers and have some questions-402-f-1r.jpg  
Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Belt slip maybe? Is it cog drive?
Old 07-26-2008, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

8-rib SDCE with over 15pound of spring pressure on the tensioner, but I figure my boost level would be lower if the belt was slipping.

Last edited by Gold Phoenix; 07-26-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Thats a little tough for me. 18 psi F-1R 402 should make 150 hp more imho. How is the fuel set up? leaning out up top may hurt the numbers. No sure about that texas giant bein boost friendy but Im fo sho not a cam guru. Try puttin more fuel to it and see. What is the compression ratio?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Honeslty for a giant cam, it will be hard to see the extra boost, but still could be managed with a different pulley combo most likely. Your power level for everything seems to be about right to me. Large cubes like you have consistantly don't make the power/boost the smaller cubed engines make. They make killer N/A power, and good spray power, but boosted you would've been better off going with a forged 383 IMO.

If you're looking for a little more, I would reccomend going with a meth injection setup. Your IAT's are a little high, and running the meth injection would allow to safely run more boost and possibly more timing, all while keeping your IAT's a little lower, and still running off of pump gas (93 octane).
Old 07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Thats a little tough for me. 18 psi F-1R 402 should make 150 hp more imho. How is the fuel set up? leaning out up top may hurt the numbers. No sure about that texas giant bein boost friendy but Im fo sho not a cam guru. Try puttin more fuel to it and see. What is the compression ratio?
I am using 96# injectors, -8 feed, -6 return, dual 255L/hr in-tank pumps, Aeromotive fuel rails. The Giant cam is 248/254-114 with .611"/.613". CR is about 8.5:1.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
Honeslty for a giant cam, it will be hard to see the extra boost, but still could be managed with a different pulley combo most likely. Your power level for everything seems to be about right to me. Large cubes like you have consistantly don't make the power/boost the smaller cubed engines make. They make killer N/A power, and good spray power, but boosted you would've been better off going with a forged 383 IMO.

If you're looking for a little more, I would reccomend going with a meth injection setup. Your IAT's are a little high, and running the meth injection would allow to safely run more boost and possibly more timing, all while keeping your IAT's a little lower, and still running off of pump gas (93 octane).

Jesus Christ, you have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously.

First off, you think his power level is "about right"? He's shy an easy 150 HP if not more. Second, you think his motor is too big? Are you retarded? Third, you think meth would allow him to run "more boost" when he's already maxed out the blower? How do you propose he makes more boost? And his IAT's maxed at 104. Thats far from high.

Stop giving people advice when you clearly have no concept of how this **** works.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911

I have seen plenty of F-1Rs in 400+ci motors and made plenty of big power. The IATs are not bad IMO, the ice was getting alittle low and I didn't much of a cool down on the last pull.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gold Phoenix
OK, I got my 402/F-1R combo (spec in sig) dynoed yesterday and was alittle disappointed with the results. According the the DynoJet, temp was 84F, humidity was 36%, barometer was 29.4, SAE correction was 1.02. One the hit of the throttle, my AFR started at 11:1 and bleed off to 12:1, running 19.5 degrees of timing, engine temps was 165, inlet temps started at 84 and stopped at 104, and the MAP sensor read 32.77 psia which is about 18.27psi of boost. I was running on BP 93-octane and had my intercooler tank packed with ice. It was consistantly about 750whp. To me that sound low for my setup. Now, we were having problems with the ignition induction clamp picking up a good signal for engine RPMs. I have NGK -8 race plugs gapped at .032", Taylor 10.4mm wires and factory replacement coil pack that are less than a year old. Could my ignition system not keep up with the boost? Could there be other things causing this low output? BTW, the rev limiter is set at 6900rpm and the blower is maxed out.

I agree you are way low on power. Were you getting any knock? Did you read the plugs? The cam looks a little big but doesn't seem to be bleeding too much boost off. Your fuel system could be marginal, but its not hurting your dyno numbers. I'd be leary of what it does on the track after you start making more power.

What tranny? Locked or unlocked?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
I agree you are way low on power. Were you getting any knock? Did you read the plugs? The cam looks a little big but doesn't seem to be bleeding too much boost off. What heads are you running?
No knock was recorded. The plugs have been looking good. They have shown alittle black, but around the center and ground strap shows normal combustion. The heads are Dart 225cc ported by TEA to 240cc with 2.08" I / 1.60" E valves.

Almost forgot, I did this thru a T-56, RAM 910 disk and 402 PP, Moser 12-bolt with 3.73 Gears on M/T ET Street 28x11.5-15. And I haven't hooked yet at the track leaving really soft off the line. As soon as it hits boost, 1st and 2nd can't hang on.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you verified that the ignition timing that is commanded by the pcm is actual?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:54 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

No knock was recorded. The plugs have been looking good. They have shown alittle black, but around the center and ground strap shows normal combustion. The heads are Dart 225cc ported by TEA to 240cc with 2.08" I / 1.60" E valves.

Almost forgot, I did this thru a T-56, RAM 910 disk and 402 PP, Moser 12-bolt with 3.73 Gears on M/T ET Street 28x11.5-15. And I haven't hooked yet at the track leaving really soft off the line. As soon as it hits boost, 1st and 2nd can't hang on.

Wow, you should be making 900-1000 RWHP. Well, I'm no pro by any stretch, so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Have you verified that the ignition timing that is commanded by the pcm is actual?
No, I have not. My engine bay is really cramped right now, but I going to try to clean it up. Part of my re-engineering.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
Wow, you should be making 900-1000 RWHP. Well, I'm no pro by any stretch, so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.
I was thinking it might have something to do with my intermittent ignition signal on the dyno. Maybe there isn't enough spark energy to light the mix. I am hoping to get some others with similar builds and see what they have as far as ignition systems.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19degs is a bit for a f1r on pump gas, but you are barely over 100 on the IAT's , this will change at the track alot. With 18psi and close to 20deg timing, something aint right. Your making the boost for sure. What pulley is on there? Post a log possibly?

I sincerly doubt the cam would make the engine loose 100-150rwhp. This is even on a dynojet to boot!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by usd2sing
valve springs?
possible floating issues on the big end..???
It very well could be. Looking at the power curve, it has a good incline then levels off flat. But then I have ran most of this on my Engine Analyzer Pro Software, it shows that the valvetrain is good.

Last edited by Gold Phoenix; 07-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
19degs is a bit for a f1r on pump gas, but you are barely over 100 on the IAT's , this will change at the track alot. With 18psi and close to 20deg timing, something aint right. Your making the boost for sure. What pulley is on there? Post a log possibly?

I sincerly doubt the cam would make the engine loose 100-150rwhp. This is even on a dynojet to boot!
This is the log for the dyno chart I posted. The crank pulley is 7.25" and blower pulley is 3.7" and it is SDCE Max pulley.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Dyno 7-25-08.hpl (15.0 KB, 94 views)
Old 07-26-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

I am using 96# injectors, -8 feed, -6 return, dual 255L/hr in-tank pumps, Aeromotive fuel rails. The Giant cam is 248/254-114 with .611"/.613". CR is about 8.5:1.
Holy **** ***** batman! That is the same fuel set up Im going with That car should have more then enough fuel! Im puzzeld
Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Holy **** ***** batman! That is the same fuel set up Im going with That car should have more then enough fuel! Im puzzeld
You and me both. On the dyno, it puked some black smoke, so I tried leaning it out, but the power dropped. So I put the fuel back in it and the numbers came back up. The only thing I can think of is the spark getting blown out with the higher boost and with stock coils.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TS6
Jesus Christ, you have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously.

First off, you think his power level is "about right"? He's shy an easy 150 HP if not more. Second, you think his motor is too big? Are you retarded? Third, you think meth would allow him to run "more boost" when he's already maxed out the blower? How do you propose he makes more boost? And his IAT's maxed at 104. Thats far from high.

Stop giving people advice when you clearly have no concept of how this **** works.
I think he is a little low, but I wouldn't go so far to say he is 150 RWHP off. I was refferring to his cubic inches, and the fact its easier to see more boost and as a consequence more power from the boost with smaller cubes. Do a search and you will find that the guys with more than 400 cubic inch engines trying to run big boost numbers usually have a hard time seeing more than 18#'s, where as the guys with forged stock cubes or 383's do boost into the 20-25# range. I wasn't aware he was already at the max pulley combo for his blower. Having a large cam can also lead to lower boost numbers. Swapping to a more boost friendly size cam can make a difference. As far as the IAT's go, mine is usually at whatever the outside air temperature is. Him being at 104 (and doing that with ice keep in mind) tells me he could do better with meth injection. If no more power with added boost, then with added timing.

I have seen plenty of F-1Rs in 400+ci motors and made plenty of big power. The IATs are not bad IMO, the ice was getting alittle low and I didn't much of a cool down on the last pull.
I retract my original statement that they were "high". But they are not ideal, especially if you had to use ice to achieve 104 IAT's. F1R's and lots of cubes is bound to make power. All I was saying was that you usually will see more boost, and as a consequence more power with a smaller cubed engine such as a 383.

Quick Reply: Got some dyno numbers and have some questions