Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree KP is right its just most assume its just a Procharger issure.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Nice pull-away in that Vid Jeff.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all honesty, if I had put the setup on the car (I bought it built basically) I would have gone w/Vortech for this sole reason. I think the only other thing I can do is replace the ATI fan (I have both the ATI fan and a 9" Spal) with a 16" Spal like mentioned and see if that helps, if not, I'll just have to live with it.

As a disclaimer, mine has never overheated, just ran in the upper 230's w/the a/c on if it sits idle for a few minutes in 90* weather, I haven't go to to drive in the 10X* weather yet since I don't have the car back from tuning. But like ajrothm said, adding the 9" Spal helped, but the real difference for me was the 2 core radiator.

Originally Posted by kp

Its not just a procharger specific issue though, any kit that loses the stock fans is going to have cooling issues with the a/c on when its 90*+ outside.
I agree, is there another kit that removes the 2 stock fans though? Not trying to come off as rude, I just don't know.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 'Trust'

I agree, is there another kit that removes the 2 stock fans though? Not trying to come off as rude, I just don't know.
I dont know either, obviously an STS doesnt remove the stock fans, but I dont know about the various other turbo kits out there.

Also a lot of it depends on where you live, at lower elevation the denser air not only makes more power but caries heat away better through the radiator. If you up there in elevation even the stock fans on these are marginal. Also have to remember these cars are made to run fairly hot, they dont have the cooling capacity stock to drive around at 180 degrees on a 100 degree day with the a/c on.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Nice pull-away in that Vid Jeff.
Thanks John. Upgrades going on right now well see how much more it can take LOL!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a becool rad and the 9in fan and it runs very cool
Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

I just order the 9inch fan hopefully that will help me with the overheating!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I keep these 9 inch fans in stock. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=729

Here is one car we installed it one.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/hotCars.php?car=62 Bob
Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm assuming the reason that prochargers cause temp issues is because they have a little more parasitic drag over other supercharger due to their ratios, this is why they make more power, anyway I had a D1 on my LT1, had overheating issues also in the summer with the ac on. I still have the stock fans, stock shrouds, all I did was install a pusher fan in front of the condenser, just basically wedged it in there and wired it up to the stock fans, After that, I could sit in traffic with over 100 degree weather, AC on and the temps never went over around 190
Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
In all honesty, if I had put the setup on the car (I bought it built basically) I would have gone w/Vortech for this sole reason. I think the only other thing I can do is replace the ATI fan (I have both the ATI fan and a 9" Spal) with a 16" Spal like mentioned and see if that helps, if not, I'll just have to live with it.

As a disclaimer, mine has never overheated, just ran in the upper 230's w/the a/c on if it sits idle for a few minutes in 90* weather, I haven't go to to drive in the 10X* weather yet since I don't have the car back from tuning. But like ajrothm said, adding the 9" Spal helped, but the real difference for me was the 2 core radiator.

So yours is still getting hot with both fans on? Down here in Houston, we AVERAGE about 95* and high humidity about 6 months out of the year....LOL Summer is in the upper 90s and occassionaly breaks 100*. Not running the AC is not an option.(if I was building a POS 79' camaro budget race car or something it would be different). I am gonna keep digging into this deeper and see what I can find but in all honesty, spending $8k for a kit and install is pretty steep, then having to dump another $1K+ in the cooling system that still might not keep up isn't very cost effective for me. For that kind of money, I could build a 550rwhp 408" or 414" or something and not have heating issues or be driving around on a time bomb....(stock bottom end at 550hp+)..... Decisions decisions....
Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

I have similar goals with mine, about 600-650RWHP. It is a 403 with a D1 and stock 4.5" coolers with a meth kit. Looking to be around 10-12psi. Anything over and the boost relief valve and air filter are not adequate.

On the racetrack the set-ups are great for these cars, but for a real street peeler there seems to be alot of issues.

I added the 9" Spal fan, but I am leary based on what I have read on the site about the 'real' streetability in the heat of the set-up. One of my main caveats of this build was to keep A/C.

I tend to agree the stock ATI F-body set-up is a pricey investment for the cooling, air intake and tensioner problems they are known for. Glad I bought most all my stuff used

I also contemplated the high comp 403 route with a N20 kit, driveability may have been better, I don't know yet. All depends on what kind of cam and converter set up you would have to go with to meet your goals.

I figure the D1/403 set-up will get easy mid 10's at full weight, the same or better can be easily done with the right 403 LS2 and a small N20 shot. Just depends what you want.

Should be running real shortly/
Old 08-12-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would changing over to an eletric water pump or maybe an Evans water pump help any with the cooling?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ajrothm
So yours is still getting hot with both fans on? Down here in Houston, we AVERAGE about 95* and high humidity about 6 months out of the year....LOL Summer is in the upper 90s and occassionaly breaks 100*. Not running the AC is not an option.(if I was building a POS 79' camaro budget race car or something it would be different). I am gonna keep digging into this deeper and see what I can find but in all honesty, spending $8k for a kit and install is pretty steep, then having to dump another $1K+ in the cooling system that still might not keep up isn't very cost effective for me. For that kind of money, I could build a 550rwhp 408" or 414" or something and not have heating issues or be driving around on a time bomb....(stock bottom end at 550hp+)..... Decisions decisions....
Unfortunately yea, 95* is about the coolest we get here unless there is a cold front. We've had 2 weeks straight in the 105+ area lately. I have about 1k in the cooling system alone, but I'm keeping my A/C no matter what. It was about $900 for the radiator, $100 for the Spal fan then of course I have lower fan temps, t-stat, purple ice etc. I'm basically out of ideas, HOWEVER, the car hasn't overheated since I put the radiator in (it went radiator then Spal fan), its just got hot. It is 100% fine driving around, but our city traffic is pretty lax compared to everywhere else, it ONLY get hot at if its not moving for 5+ minutes, but still hasn't overheated. I don't think you should nix the ProCharger idea, just go at it knowing you'll have to tweak the cooling system. Just my thoughts tho.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Looks like a double pass radiator would be the ticket for forced induction cars,blowers or turbos.If the info on these double pass rad. is true wouldn't they be a better selection?You hardly ever see anyone using one except for the occasional high dollar ron davis setup.There are some very reasonably priced double pass rad.in jegs and summit and also on ebay,why don't more people use them?Most people use the basic griffen 27.5x15.5 but it only rated at 400 h.p.Double pass rad.have both inlet and outlet on the pass. side which would actually work out better on ls motors.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I am still looking at all the options. With the kit from EPP, it comes with the SDCE, 8 rib, and all the other goodies you need to improve the shortcomings of the base ATI kit.... BUT the cooling issue is definetly a major concern. Like I said, I don't drive it daily, but do drive it often and I am constantly in traffic. I don't want to be worrying about sitting at a traffic jam and watching the temp gauge climb, hoping it plateaus at a certain temp etc.... Right now, I can literally idle all day long with the AC on and never worry about it going over 210-215*. I want this car to stay reliable as stock.

As Helicoil mentioned, I could simply add a head/intake combo on top of my cam only/NX150 setup and probably touch high 10s and still have it be reliable as stock. Much cheaper and much more simple. Only thing that sucks is the bottles run out and they ain't cheap to fill.

Still kicking everything around...
Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Yeah I am still looking at all the options. With the kit from EPP, it comes with the SDCE
No it does not. You can order the kit as an 8 rib set up but it is not the sdce set up. Thats a whole diffrerent tranasction with a different company. I cannot post sdce's link becuase they are not a sponsor.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
Looks like a double pass radiator would be the ticket for forced induction cars,blowers or turbos.If the info on these double pass rad. is true wouldn't they be a better selection?You hardly ever see anyone using one except for the occasional high dollar ron davis setup.There are some very reasonably priced double pass rad.in jegs and summit and also on ebay,why don't more people use them?Most people use the basic griffen 27.5x15.5 but it only rated at 400 h.p.Double pass rad.have both inlet and outlet on the pass. side which would actually work out better on ls motors.
Agreed. The price is one reason, like I said my 2 pass Howe Racing radiator was $900 and it was custom made. It is also about 1" thicker and bends the IC Piping on the passenger side a little. I guess having it built custom for our cars isn't a must if you get the basic measurements right, but for the auto cars you have to think about the PS cooler (which I needed on mine), for guys with A/C you have to make sure it has that indention on the side so you can get the A/C line to the condenser, and it can't be too tall or you're looking at some custom piping from the plenum to the TB.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
No it does not. You can order the kit as an 8 rib set up but it is not the sdce set up. Thats a whole different transaction with a different company. I cannot post sdce's link because they are not a sponsor.
Correct, our kit does not use the SDCE bracket. The ATI ProCharger D-1SC kit with the eight rib belt works just fine without the SDCE design at 8 to 10 psi. The SDCE design works great and has proven itself for many applications. For those with an f body and are planning on cranking the boost up to 14 psi and beyond the SDCE design works very well. As far as I know, you still have to send them your ProCharger bracket to have it modified. Bob
Old 08-13-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
No it does not. You can order the kit as an 8 rib set up but it is not the sdce set up. Thats a whole diffrerent tranasction with a different company. I cannot post sdce's link becuase they are not a sponsor.
OH...OK, thanks for the correction....I guess I was unsure exactly what the SDCE was....I thought it was something with the tensioner/pulleys etc. I guess I need to continue to read up on everything in the kit and learn the ins and outs of it all.....but priority 1 is the cooling system issue because I'm not dealing with overheating BS.......I deal with that enough on my 71 Vette and 400rwhp turbo hayabusa...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

SDCE set-up + 695.00, then 35.00 for their tool to adjust and R&R the belt. And don't forget shipping both ways

Yep, you would need the stock ATI bracket or the steel replica.

With keeping everything stock on the car with the Procharger set-up in their it gets very tight.

Out of everything I experienced with the install, the air filter or lack there of is most discouraging. The D1 has lots of potential but it is choked by the air filter limitations, then the intercoolers, and then the belt. What do you expect from a kit that was designed around a P1SC?

In the end I hope the D1 torque puts a smile on my face.

Quick Reply: F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?