Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbos knocking out thrust bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually just too my engine apart to check everything. My thrust was barily showing signs of wear. The crack thrust was still right on when I checked it. I probably have eleventy billion street pulls and 40-50 track passes. All at 800-950 whp.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

anyone else
Old 03-05-2009, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

As a tranny guy and interested in a turbo project myself, I would have to guess the thrust bearing is getting damage from the rear side of the bearing. Most guys are running high dollar billet converters with anti-ballooning plates to suposedly prevent this problem. I would have to look into new solutions. One, how much converter charge may be shoving the converter forward out of the pump and may not be ballooning at all. Maybe bleed off pressure by installing a relief spring and valve on the converter drain port. Like a poppet valve, when pressure peaks as quick as it does, allow it to bleed off by relieving the huge pressure from the torque multiplication. Cruising should not open the valve as to keep valuable oil in the converter while driving normally. Probably much worse with a glide and tall gear as the turbo really loads everything for a longer period of time. Second, can 2 or 3 small holes, (.020-.030"), be drilled directly into the main oil port in the block thru the bearing to get direct oil to the sides of the bearing?. Or grooves cut into the sides of the bearings in the direction of the crank rotation. Especially with the pressures the high HP, (1200HP and up), run. As the load dramatically increases, the extra oil can "cushion" the crank from grinding into the thrust bearing. Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 AM
7 Second/200 MPH Club

Ok guys this is a topic that has been touched on alot and lots of good info is always posted but here is something that I have seen over looked. The clearance between the crank bolts to the convertor. You must make sure you have as much clearance there as possible. I have seen it when you get proper clearance between the feet of the convertor and the flex plate but the crank bolts are preventing the flex plate from doing the job. Always inspect the bolt heads and convertor to make sure there is no sign of contact.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Banned

i was running that hughes adapter to run a t400 with an ls1 flex plate. i think that might of had something to do with it. im going to send the converter back to andrea to get the proper snout put on it.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 AM
7 Second/200 MPH Club

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
i was running that hughes adapter to run a t400 with an ls1 flex plate. i think that might of had something to do with it. im going to send the converter back to andrea to get the proper snout put on it.
An easy fix is to add on to the piolt and feet on the convertor and use a midplate. you could just use the mid plate as a spacer.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
which converter?
I use the PTC converter. The guys from Alabama. I am using it again in my new setup.

Quick Reply: Turbos knocking out thrust bearings