Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Limitations of STS hot and cold parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Limitations of STS hot and cold parts

I've been searching and I'm having trouble finding the limitations of the hot and cold parts as far as how large of a turbo they can handle. I've going to have everything but the turbo and was seeing how big of a turbo I could get. Or if there was something minor that I could upgrade on the kit to allow for a larger turbo to be ran.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

They would basically handle any T4 flange turbo, although anything other than what is supplied with the kit would require mods. If you want big power, STS is NOT the way to go. The modifications to the basic system require enough effort to negate the ease of install that the kit is designed for. Before the flaming starts, I will say that big power CAN be made from the STS, but it is no longer easier or more cost effective than a front mount.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a T4 flange, cold side piping is 2.5", exhaust side is 3". Exhaust would not be hard to re-fab, but the intake side could be a problem.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

what would you suggest for a easy front mount install then that is cost effective?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
They would basically handle any T4 flange turbo, although anything other than what is supplied with the kit would require mods. If you want big power, STS is NOT the way to go. The modifications to the basic system require enough effort to negate the ease of install that the kit is designed for. Before the flaming starts, I will say that big power CAN be made from the STS, but it is no longer easier or more cost effective than a front mount.

Agreed 100%
Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
what would you suggest for a easy front mount install then that is cost effective?
Truck Manifolds if you can spare your AC...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Easy and cost effective generally exclude each other. If you add in cheap, you really lose options. Big power requires work, money, and maintenance. If you aren't willing or able to do all three, just do heads/cam.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

I switched to 241 heads, and did a cam. I can get the piping from a friend. I was trying to see what the largest turbo to use would be. I have to buy the turbo. I figured I'd be spending around 1100 bucks or so on the turbo by looking at forcedinductions website. The turbos were all about the same price for the different sizes. Thats why I was curious as to what was the largest turbo I can use was.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I switched to 241 heads, and did a cam. I can get the piping from a friend. I was trying to see what the largest turbo to use would be. I have to buy the turbo. I figured I'd be spending around 1100 bucks or so on the turbo by looking at forcedinductions website. The turbos were all about the same price for the different sizes. Thats why I was curious as to what was the largest turbo I can use was.
If you check out the threads by LongRange4U, you can see the limitations of the stock STS intake piping. Beyond the 600RWHP or so level, the stock diameter cold-side piping is too small. It can be alleviated by running either a large diameter pipe (bad for ground clearance) or 2x intake pipes to double the intake flow (routed from a y off the turbine and back into a single pipe at the FMIC). It would be an expensive/ time consuming endeavor to fabricate, but it can be done.

For big ol' HP, a front mount would be a better choice. With an aftermarket K-member you can run a large downpipe for large HP and fabrication would not be any worse than a high HP STS. The front mount would have less lag and thus more HP under the curve. The only real advantage for the STS would be if retaining air conditioning is a major concern.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:20 AM
11 Second Club

Considering my compressor is shot right now it hasn't been a concern yet. But my thing is cost vs results. I can spend probably around 2500 bucks and have this sts complete with lets say a t76. What would be a realistic cost to have a front mount done?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

For $2500 you could do the front mount easy, if you do some of the fab work yourself. I'm starting on a turbo install myself and was going to do a rear mount kit but changed my mind. The front mount will spool faster, which is what I want. I do fab work so making my own parts will be no problem. For an easy and inexspensive front mount pick up some 6.0 truck manifolds or C6 vette manifolds. They'll work great. What are your goals for your setup?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mg98ta
For $2500 you could do the front mount easy, if you do some of the fab work yourself. I'm starting on a turbo install myself and was going to do a rear mount kit but changed my mind. The front mount will spool faster, which is what I want. I do fab work so making my own parts will be no problem. For an easy and inexspensive front mount pick up some 6.0 truck manifolds or C6 vette manifolds. They'll work great. What are your goals for your setup?

You could use that up in no time with a ft mount after the turbo if you get a decent one your down to $1500 your going to need to get k-member ,bat relocation, rad fans . ft mount is going to cost you a few grand more then a rear mount .

As for the biggest turbo for a rear mount. Guys have gone big with them but IMO get the TC-76 from FI I got mine for 1k . If you have all the cold pipes I would definetly do the rear mount
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

It all depends on how much of this stuff you can fab up yourself. I can make all my parts, so it is cheaper for me. And I also have access to plenty of steel and aluminum.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CamaroSS19
You could use that up in no time with a ft mount after the turbo if you get a decent one your down to $1500 your going to need to get k-member ,bat relocation, rad fans . ft mount is going to cost you a few grand more then a rear mount .

As for the biggest turbo for a rear mount. Guys have gone big with them but IMO get the TC-76 from FI I got mine for 1k . If you have all the cold pipes I would definetly do the rear mount
Got the same turbo for less than 1k.

U dont need a k-member unless you want a big down pipe. No battery relocation is needed unless thats where you want the turbo. Radiator fans can be had fairly cheap.

I was looking into building a front mount to replace my sts kit using a truck and c6 manifold to retain a/c. You can mount the turbo in front of where the alternator goes and move it to the top passenger side head. Then all you need to do is cut your factory fan shroud in half and put the driver side one on the front. No need to stand the radiator up unless you want to, or going to a bigger one, which you should since you are going to be making more power. The down pipe will run along the motor on the driver side where the alt used to be. You need to run a solid motor mount though.

Just throwing that out there.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

You want to pm me where you got your turbo and how much?

I cannot weld nor do I have a welder, so that would not help me out too much. So the front mount would be considerably more.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

replied

Quick Reply: Limitations of STS hot and cold parts