Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo LS1 Update (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Turbo LS1 Update (pics)

you will find the general design of the kit (LOG) not capable of supporting the 76 or anythign larger.. your next step after getting the 76 would be to redo the exhaust side all together.

the engine was stock just 9:1 forged pistons... i busted that one up good
Old 09-10-2003, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The inlet pipe is 3inch insted of 2.5 on the t76 and the piping from the turbo outlet to the intercooler is bigger acording to TT the price is for DP, turbo to intercooler pipe, inlet pipe and turbo.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

I might be wrong but i think the TT kit uses a t3-t4 turbo machined to fit a t60 compressor wheel and i believe the 76 is the same way. I do know for fact that i`ve seen a t60 and a t76 and neither one would even come close to fitting in my t/a. there`s not enough clearance between the turbo and the side of the engine bay. the 60-1 is about 2.5in smaller than a actual t60!
Old 09-10-2003, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can vouch that mightymouse knows what he`s doing when it comes to tuneing [sic] a turbo ls1 [sic].

That's why he's selling it.

SC-
Old 09-11-2003, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes i do have a T76 laying around......in my engine bay

anyways why would you need a T78, are you able to push the T76 to its limit.

i still dont believe that the log cant support the T76, it powered Raymers car with the 2.5"DP to 9's at 707rwhp. ANd in an early thread we talked how the turbo tech wastegate would bypass the log to allow more HP. Basically the turbo just needs enough velocity to spin the turbo to X amount of boost, then the rest should flow out the wastegate. SO the real key is to devolop an effient wastegate system.

The turbo is a true T76 compressor. im not sure the exhaust side but i think it is an .96 AR housing. you can mix and match the compressors to exhaust side of a turbo. Ive heard talk of switching to a .89 ar housing for better spool time, but no one seems to car about that now cause wed rater have more top end HP.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you will find the general design of the kit (LOG) not capable of supporting the 76 or anythign larger.. your next step after getting the 76 would be to redo the exhaust side all together.

hmmm, what about Rob R.'s car? Isn't he using a log style manifold? He's making 700+RWHP through an auto with a T74.

So, you made 424RWHP with stock heads and cam @ 7PSI. Just forged pistons and lower compression with the T60. I hope maybe my CNC heads and cam will give me at least 50RWHP. I'll keep you guys updated.

And smokin I'm interested in the DP. I can send it to you paypal. Shoot me an email : mekkadon@comcast.net
Old 09-11-2003, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for helping with the post once again ssooirrelevant fwiw the kit is sold and the new turbo system going on the car will also be using my crappy tuning.. hey btw did you hear that rob himself now is running the same amount of timing that is in my crappy tune... WEIRD!

the larger turbo's have a less agressive turbine wheel that keeps exhaust pressure down.. the lower the exhaust pressure pre-turbo the more hp you can make... unfortunately at a point you have to oversize the turbine blade so much that the turbo just doesnt spool correctly.. familiar?? the opposite is true of the smaller turbos on the same exhaust configuration.. you get great spool because of the really agressive impeller, but then you will get boost stall, and then boost drop because there just isn't enough room to get the exhaust around the turbo.. that being said turbine sizing is critical on a log style set-up.. instead of just optimizing you can fly or dive just a little to either side of perfect.

thats what i think anyway.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

ssooblue what are your best dyno numbers? what was the purpose of that comment? nobody said anything to you so if you don`t have anything to contribute other then unneeded trashing just stay out of it.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

best of luck with that turbo, but answer the most important and pressing question, no one else has had the nerve to ask...WTF IS A MUSTANG DOING IN THE PICTURE Is it hoping to get fast by osmosis?!
Old 09-11-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

glad to see your project is comming along well, much faster than mine
Good Luck

Gary
Old 09-11-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

glad to see your project is comming along well, much faster than mine
Good Luck

Gary
dude, your car I gonna be nice when you get it back man! Whatup?!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

bottom end is together, waiting for the heads to be completed they should be done in a week or two. FLP Level IV+ and converter arrived 2 weeks ago. With a little luck the motor and tranny will be in the car by the end of October. All I have to do after that is fabricate the headers and the rest of the pipe up...no sweat

Quick Reply: Turbo LS1 Update (pics)