Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS F-Body kit question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I had heard from one guy he was burning the wires on the boot, I think, it would burn and then split, and then misfire.

Maybe the guys who are not having problems could list what plug wires they run, and what coil setup? Ie. MSD truck wires + Truck coils.
this is exactly what mine did 2 times now
Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this is a new one to me too. Stock coils and MSD wires and no issues. Over 13k on my kit since it was installed last year.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:21 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Wow this is a new one to me too. Stock coils and MSD wires and no issues. Over 13k on my kit since it was installed last year.
hugger how is your car doing have not seen any thing new from you in some time
Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tomz28
hugger how is your car doing have not seen any thing new from you in some time
The car is great! No drips, I saw the charge pipe dents but no issues. I installed the kit at 89k last year. Just rolled 102k yesterday. I just get in and go! It's been a lot of fun to drive and surprises a lot of people. I have not had the burning wire issue. I did see some oil at the v-clamp of the compressor/exhaust on the drivers side turbo. But as I said, no drips in the garage floor. So not sure if that was just cooked on from my install or if there is a small drip. Have routinely checked the oil and it is not low and car doesn't smoke so I am not too concerned. I was wondering if the oil pressure to the turbo's would be different since the hose that feeds the drivers turbo is a lot shorter than the one that feeds the passenger turbo. I have taken the car on roadtrips back to NY and get 24mpg on the highway. In fact I am going back again this weekend. Gotta get it re-aligned though. Hit some railroad tracks a while back that seemed to shift things a bit. That would be my only complaint with this k-member. The control arms don't seem to lock in as well as the factory set-up. I had driven my car for 8 years on these crappy MI roads and the only thing that was out was a half a degree of toe on the stock set-up.

I was concerned a few weeks back on my return trip from NY. Hit the torrential rain from Hurricane Ike. And the pooled water all over the roads. But the car and everything drove fine with the splashing water. No issues and nothing broke. I was a little concerned with some of the puddles I hit since the air filters are down low in the front there. But it is fine. So all in all I am happy with this set-up.

I do think I may be due for some new plugs. I gotta try to check those before my carclub track rental in a few weeks. Gonna run it one last time for the season. But on Street Tires I am not expecting any spectacular runs. Just want to have some fun with it.

I did finally get my gauges and will hopefully get those installed this fall/winter. But I kind of like the sleeper status I have with no gauges at the moment. It's fun to surprise other cars on the road and see the reaction when they hear the turbo's spooling. Those Deer in the headlight looks are priceless!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Thanks for posting Hugger, I figured you had the most mileage on the kit that I've seen posted.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Thanks for posting Hugger, I figured you had the most mileage on the kit that I've seen posted.
I just may. I was one of the first tuned and on the road and have been racking up the miles! Might be out near Chicago with the car mid October to visit some friends. Not completely sure yet though.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
9 Second Club

thanks for the info bro
i have the same thing with the oil hanging on the v-clamp
cant wait to turn this up to 12psi+
i got a meth kit and need to lean my car out alot it runs 10.5 afr just to keep it way safe
i still have a stock short block
Old 09-29-2008, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the info bro
cant wait to turn this up to 12psi+
i got a meth kit and need to lean my car out alot it runs 10.5 afr just to keep it way safe
i still have a stock short block
this seems to be pretty common as i also have the drip on the clamps.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the info bro
Originally Posted by TNTramair
this seems to be pretty common as i also have the drip on the clamps.
Do you guys have it on both turbo's or just the drivers side one? Mine was only on the drivers side. I was wondering if it had something to do with the oil pressure being higher due to the shorter line in the drivers turbo so maybe a restrictor would be needed cause it was too high and pushing past the seals or something. Just a thought that had crossed my mind.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Do you guys have it on both turbo's or just the drivers side one? Mine was only on the drivers side. I was wondering if it had something to do with the oil pressure being higher due to the shorter line in the drivers turbo so maybe a restrictor would be needed cause it was too high and pushing past the seals or something. Just a thought that had crossed my mind.
i think its comin from the small plugs that are installed with those red washers in the center section. i had leaks on both turbos and the passengerside was worse. after removing those plugs and resinstalling them with differant washers it seemed to help but im still seein some residue on the driverside turbo. i dont believe the differance in pressure lines would have anything to do with it though. if it were pushin oil through the seals you would definetly see some smoke.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have wires made that are fully wrapped in high heat coating and the boots are sealed as well. They are about $100 a set and work great. This is a custom length setup on a turbo 6l. We can get them in any color.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

curious on this one myself. good info
Old 09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm look like nice wires..see how my accel 9000 do.Wires are easy change on these engines..

Wonder if guy should also put some sealant on threads in addition to the crush washers?
I am wondering if I will need restrictors they are usually used on ball bearing turbos.

What are all you guys running for oil pumps..tnt you said you had same slp as me? Did you find out if you got the high pressure or low pressure spring installed. The slp come with low pressure and you have to swap it out for high pressure one.

So tnt are you going to try spacing out that sway bar soon? Still wondering if guy couldn't cut those tubes and put in silcone couplers .That might also help. I am hoping to run my hotchkiss sway bar but if can't well its not the end of the world but car does handle great with it. And handling is a good thing in cars with this kind of power.

Tnt what boost controller did you go with..I am thinking eboost2 for the mounting and way it looks. That ams 1000 or whatever sounds nice but where the heck do you mount that thing ,all those wires going into it are fugly although it has an ok display.

I wish one of you guys would dyno again at higher boost levels like 18psi with no intake ducts or filters directly on the turbos. I really want to know if the smaller ones can give me 800rwhp thru a 4l80e or 850 thru an m6. If fall short 50 or 75 likely just make it up with spray. The smaller turbos are going to give a better street power band with lower rpm and would think quicker spool up. Top end would not be strong but JM on ls1tech is getting 138mph from his..thats enough for me..And at like 12psi on his 402. And 4l80 .
Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

We had a couple issues with 2 recent APS cars .

1 car had MSD
1 car had Magnecor ( which have higher temp boots from what we found )

-uncoated manifolds

-no actual contact with manifolds

We have installed the stock heat shields now and have not seen any issues since.

Jim's Z06 & Fraser's GTO both have coated manifold and no issues.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

What are all you guys running for oil pumps..tnt you said you had same slp as me? Did you find out if you got the high pressure or low pressure spring installed. The slp come with low pressure and you have to swap it out for high pressure one.

So tnt are you going to try spacing out that sway bar soon?

Tnt what boost controller did you go with..

I wish one of you guys would dyno again at higher boost levels like 18psi with no intake ducts or filters directly on the turbos. I really want to know if the smaller ones can give me 800rwhp thru a 4l80e or 850 thru an m6. If fall short 50 or 75 likely just make it up with spray. The smaller turbos are going to give a better street power band with lower rpm and would think quicker spool up. Top end would not be strong but JM on ls1tech is getting 138mph from his..thats enough for me..And at like 12psi on his 402. And 4l80 .
it is the low pressure spring...they didnt swap it out on the pump.

the sway bar issue is something ill probably address during the off season...i only have about another month or so of driving before the weather changes for the worse so im gonna try to enjoy it while i can.

i went with a Hallman pro...simpe, easy to install, and very accurate.

i will be dynoing again this month at higher PSI so ill post up when that happens.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 AM
9 Second Club

i have the same pump with the high pres. spring in it. the turbo on the drivers side is getting oil in the intake track before and after the turbo. i have that one rebuilt all ready
and it still does it. the oil return is fine and case pressure is under control so im thinking of putting the low pressure spring back in. mybe it too much oil pressure pushing past the seals
anyone else with this?

p.s.
alittle info on my car, it traps 128 in the 1/4 but it has a few bugs to work out still
Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm so low pressure should be ok for my 408..thought strokers needed higher pressure..how much higher is the slp pump compared to say stock pumps with the higher pressure spring installed?
I guess its possible that you were getting too much pressure tomz28. I thought it was mostly a problem with ball bearing turbos they need much less oil pressure. Maybe find recommended pressures from dsm forum or something.The 20 g turbos were very common on dsms although more guys have gone to garetts lately and even some holesets,borg warners.etc.
Restrictors are easy enough to do. Most guys just use nitrous jets.
Usually you also get oil from excessive crankcase pressure.clogged pcv can do it easy too.I had it happen a few times with that type of thing in my 92 talon. It blew tons of smoke out the back of the car thought engine was gone but fixed itself up completely when problem was rectified. No damage to the turbo at all.
It would be very unlikely to have to bad mits turbos. Greg guy said he had two I think though. If these are pain then send them away to get them rebuilt by experienced mits repair place. Although they look easy enough to do oneself and rebuild kits are cheap.
I have run mits turbos on many dsms and they had mega mileage.

So you guys don't think should put any sealant on the turbo lines at the turbo where you say you get leaks with just the crush washers..? Not sure sealant can even take that kind of heat..?

Well at least some of you guys have been the pioneers with this kit. Sure will have some more questions and mabye even a few good ideas for you guys as my install hopefully progresses over next few weeks.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

i have the same pump with the high pres. spring in it. the turbo on the drivers side is getting oil in the intake track before and after the turbo. i have that one rebuilt all ready
and it still does it. the oil return is fine and case pressure is under control so im thinking of putting the low pressure spring back in. mybe it too much oil pressure pushing past the seals
anyone else with this?

p.s.
alittle info on my car, it traps 128 in the 1/4 but it has a few bugs to work out still
its possible...may just be too much pressure for them to handle.

nice Trap speed though....that thing is moving!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
its possible...may just be too much pressure for them to handle.

nice Trap speed though....that thing is moving!
thanks im going to change out that pump spring and see if it helps
or maybe just use a nos jet sound alot easyer
Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

It would be nice though to find the specs of the 20gs and see what is recommended. I will maybe do some questions on the dsm boards. Thats diamond star motors..lasers/talons/eclipse my other big car interest.
My garett uses a restrictor but its ball bearing and they need less oil.