Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice bro good start
Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Kell and Tom. Sure will have some more questions as I go along and maybe some of my own tips and things.

Enough talk time for more XXX garage action! Well twin turbos and 408 do make me hxxxy! Yeah baby yeah...
Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks to hear about these turbo failures. i guess ive been lucky so far and i dont take it easy when i drive it. 500+miles and going...so far so good. took it back to my friends for a boost controller install and for somemore tuning...cant wait to get it back.

keep up the good work...subscribing for the finished product!

Rick
Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 AM
9 Second Club

i have like 5000 miles on mine
Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Update: Worked on it yesterday was mostly stripping down the 346 to canibalize it for the 408.

Things went pretty good. I took off my fast 90/90 stuff, most of the rockers, pushrods, coils,air compressor bracket,water pump, alternator ,power steering using the trick of not removing the pulley on the power steering pump. You just wrench out the back bolt while you pull on it.Not that bad. Unbolted exhaust manifolds and loosened up most all other bolts.
Today need to get tool to get my asp balancer off. Need to get in there and take off cam retainer plate and will need to take off front cover ,rear cover oil pan, pickup,windage tray ,few other little things like block heater,cam sensor ,crank sensor,knock sensors..lifter trays..Unbolt t56 and take off flywheel and tex twin clutch.

So a fair bit of work to do and plan on working on it a lot again today.My camera was taking very dark pics or at least they look very dark in my program so might not be sending too much pics for awhile or might have to use my older camera. New camera is not cheap it s Nikon d80 with a nice add on nikon flash so not sure whats up with that.
I will get it figured out or as said use my old sony.

Those rocker arms are stupid with only 8mm bolts. I have to get like a 3/8 8mm socket as few are not coming off very good with a 1/4 inch ratchet. Need to take out my moly pushrods ,will see if they are correct length . Not sure if use the lifter cross bar things with my yella terra but I think so. How can you retorque heads when you would have to completely remove every lifter it looks like to get to the head bolts? Or do my ls7 mls need retorquing..thought arp head studs need a retorque after a few cycles ???

Hoping to pretty much finish stripping the 346 today and likely start assembling the 408 tommorrow and sunday. Then hang the turbos on the 408 and work on intercooler and stuff under the bumper right after that. Not sure how hard its going to be to put the bmr k member on there of course you do that last and then put trans and engine and kmember back together and reinstall in car.
Maybe 10 days might do it all ,maybe a bit less. I also am figuring out my tuning .I have hp tuners. I have 60 pounders. Havings some trouble finding out what numbers to plug in the ifr table. I don't have adjustable reg yet so think you have to plug in those different values rather than just one value. If anyone has 60s and has those values let me know.
They are the racetronix mototron 60s. As for timing not sure what is good starting number 10 or mabye 12 max? And for afr what 10.5 or 11.0? I have wideband,. Will just be using pump 94 for break in. Its 10% gasohol so not sure if that affects where I set my afr?
I will be on stock pump and stock reg and lines and rails just for break in and will be keeping the rpm down likely 5000 and watching that don't put it into full boost more like 3 to 5 max. Can of course control things with your right foot. And keeping a close watch on the boost guage.

I am going to keep the maf just till spring and then will install 3 bar right away and the rest of the fuel system. And hopefully a new rear end, leaning to dana 60 3.54 most likely or 3.73 since car is mostly street car.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

i would go 3.54 i run 3.42s and thats on a stock bottom thats kills tires (nitto 555R 315/35/17) and works well with 26in tall slick but thats just my car
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

They don't seem to make 8mm sockets in 3/8! So got a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and finally got the darn last few rocker bolts off. and yeah had valves closed.

Then took off my t 56 from back and now staring at my pretty tex twin.

Still hoping to take off clutch and flywheel today. but may have lost the right size hex or whatever the tex has and might have to get one tommorrow. Bought balancer pulley to pull the asp off there. Try to do that as well today and heads likely will come off tommorrow. then guess pick up the engine with picker and get to the oil pan. My stand is occupied with the 408 right now.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Yesterdays progress pics...

Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club

i love those blue rags
keep going
Old 10-11-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually those are heavy duty paper towels..Shop type.Not sure how much will get done today. See who it goes.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:17 AM
9 Second Club

i konw what they are i use the hell out of them
Old 10-12-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Update for today. Took off my heads on 346 just to get valley trays..then took off balancer and removed front cover, took off timing chain and top sprocket to get to cam retainer that I needed.
Took off cltch and flywheel.

So home stretch on the 346 stripping. No more today. Tommorrow should have pan,windage and pickup off and motor mounts off when separate it from the old k member. Maybe start throwing some stuff on the 408 tommorrow. That should be a lot more exciting then messing on the 346.

Used this puller that goes on front of asp and bolted to the holes in the asp pulley. It is made by lisle?? Was 1/2 price at parts store. I just stuck a tire iron in between flwheel to get off pulley and flwheel and clutch. Well actually had friend hold the tire iron on flyweel to hold it.No special tools needed for that.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok pics from day or so ago..will take some update final pics of the stripped down 346 today.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
9 Second Club

how do you like that twin
any noise?
Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

There is a bit of floater rattle when you push in clutch at light type of thing. Usually I just put it in neutral at the lights but in heavier traffic when cars are beside you it will be a fairly faint rattle.I can drown it out with stereo,cutout..but it slightly annoying. The pedal pressure if very liveable though and the clutch seems to grab good and is pretty streetable.Tex also sent me some more street discs they were experimenting with.They are think ok for maybe 600 engine or so. I wanted higher . So for now be running the normal discs.
I am going to 4l80e likely next season.Already started buying some auto parts..top console..etc.
Its a pretty impressive looking clutch though isn't it!

Anyway just got back in from garage. 346 strip is finished. I just finishing taking off the motor mounts and oil pan,windage and pickup tubes.

Now its on to the 408 assembly....either later today or early tommorrow.
Have to get the oil pan drilled and tapped and that oil cooler fitting. Might take it to speed shop or machine shop where they have a drill press.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Alright, another build thread! Gonna be following this.

Originally Posted by TNTramair
500+miles and going...so far so good.
Originally Posted by tomz28
i have like 5000 miles on mine
I have about 14k on my set-up since last year when I got it tuned. Just drove it to the track this past Sat, made 8 passes (1 of which was a new personal best for me) and drove it home with the A/C on. It was a warm day! Oh and my new PB is 12.3 @ 126 on street tires. Still on the stock 10 bolt.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Hugger think you likely have around the most mileage on your aps kit on the forum. Good to see you are having some good luck with things.And that is very decent mph and easy 11s. Actually think could do 10s with proper traction and suspension. We have a cobbled together third gen that runs like 11.2 at 126 or so on et street radials with a stall.

So definitely way more et hiding in there.

I am pretty hyper to finally be installing my kit. I know the manual by heart have had the kit since last fall and read the manual like a 1000 times. Still sure will have a question or two for you guys.

Glad to be done the 346 teardown as its more fun to be actually building and installing things than tearing things out and apart.

Good news I think with my build is it should be done pretty quickly now. Have lots of spare time to work on my car so can pretty much work on it daily for quite a few hours.
Some builds people of course have taken months and months. I am thinking more a week or so to finish it up with the season ending it is forcing me to hurry up if want to at least go for a few new engine break in cruises. We had like 6 inches of snow yesterday but its melting off pretty good today. Usually we get permanent snow around mid november.
Winter is boring up here cars generally come out again around april 1.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:39 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Alright, another build thread! Gonna be following this.

I have about 14k on my set-up since last year when I got it tuned. Just drove it to the track this past Sat, made 8 passes (1 of which was a new personal best for me) and drove it home with the A/C on. It was a warm day! Oh and my new PB is 12.3 @ 126 on street tires. Still on the stock 10 bolt.
NICE how was spinning all the way down. LOL
these cars trap crazy speeds i hit 128 with my car
Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hugger think you likely have around the most mileage on your aps kit on the forum. Good to see you are having some good luck with things.And that is very decent mph and easy 11s. Actually think could do 10s with proper traction and suspension. We have a cobbled together third gen that runs like 11.2 at 126 or so on et street radials with a stall.

So definitely way more et hiding in there.

I am pretty hyper to finally be installing my kit. I know the manual by heart have had the kit since last fall and read the manual like a 1000 times. Still sure will have a question or two for you guys.
Yup it seems that I do. It's all good. My goal was a fun, reliable DD and so far so good. I understand that hyper feeling man! Can't wait to see you get it done and take the first drive. It is TOTALLY worth it!

Originally Posted by tomz28
NICE how was spinning all the way down. LOL
these cars trap crazy speeds i hit 128 with my car
It wasn't bad. That pass I finally had traction. The other 7 passes I made I spun off the line and into 2nd so the ET's were not so good but mph was still there.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

the hard part is keeping the thing in boost and off the line i got LPE 2-step but i got it before i left for iraq
so we will see how well that works later

Quick Reply: Another aps build happening now..