Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another aps build happening now..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guessing tomz28 was wondering (as i was) how u can spend so much time working on your car every day and posting like 25 novels every day!! guess i'm just jealous ;-) bet your wife thinks u got an internet GF!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mterveen
i guessing tomz28 was wondering (as i was) how u can spend so much time working on your car every day and posting like 25 novels every day!! guess i'm just jealous ;-) bet your wife thinks u got an internet GF!

Yeah I am lucky that have tons of free time when not running my father around.

Its cool you have that turbo van.. they were pretty neat and seen some guy hotrod it way up..maybe it was you ,seen it on ytube blowing away camaros and stuff..hilarious!

My other love is dsms..awd and turbos rock the house. Too bad they never made an awd camaro or firebird. Traction and power..

We just got hit with a cold spell and might see snow next day or so.
A few days before we set a record of like 70 degrees that was last seen in like 1880!
Its normally very horrible by now up here in Canada. I really got a break in getting that nice weather just in time to finish up the car.

Its going to be horrible all winter waiting for spring. But guess can do a few things to it while its in hibernation.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

i use to work for goldcorp which owned saskatchewan minerals in chaplin a number of years ago. knew a few guys that lived in regina. the turbo van was a hoot. spun a rod two summers ago and parked it but had put a larger garrett turbo on it, cranked the boost to 20, some slicks, etc, etc and ran in the upper 13s with it!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

thats hilarious..so that was maybe your van on youtube? 13 second vans are pretty cool and pretty rare..And I thought my new montana was pretty quick..LOL
Old 11-06-2008, 02:37 AM
9 Second Club

wow man thats cool. it must be hard to find time to do all the stuff you want to do
you must be very pro-active
im a U.S. Marine just some info on me
i get all my funds from all this time i spend in iraq LOL
51 you sound more like you are in your 20s you are a big kid. LOL
thats how i will be too some day LOL
Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My turbo(s) are letting oil in my coolant too.. But only under WOT. Winter project I guess....
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

No we have opposite problem..mine were only letting coolant in oil but massively leaking. Like gallons of coolant went into oil pan just idling not even running the car the only reason my 408 is still alive .We caught the problem instantly first time we fired up the car.

I saw no oil in the coolant yet..nothing..I see no more coolant in my oil since we instantly unhooked the water lines on the turbos and run them like that. You can its not the best for them but many mits guys with same turbos run no water lines. Its mostly to stop coking from too fast shut downs after running them hard. New sythetic type oils don't coke much if at all and don't shut it down right away after hard runs.
Read you post and gave some ideas..
If you could send me your tune and its hp tuners would appreciate that.

I am not sure what to do with my dud turbo or turbos either. They are getting taken off likely around january and sent to either aps or some shop like Forced performance. I still wanted to get better intake tubes or stent these. This is not looking good anymore for Aps turbo quality control. I think my kit is pretty awesome overall but turbos are the most important part of it.
And leaking coolant into oil is very dangerous for motors. The other way is not so great either but less critical.
I had no coolant coming out exhaust either and so far no oil out the back of the car from the turbos. Also I would not be running those turbos past gate spring pressure until you get new tubes or stend the existing ones.

And wondering if you can even get to say 18 to 20 with the standard springs. Think going to 12 or so min gate springs is better idea but then you can't go under that . So something like 10 might be good for min if it lets you get to 20psi say. I would mabye be happy only going to 15psi with the standard snails on my 408.

Maybe mine would also leak oil into the coolant at wot..Higher oil pressure so it might..must be cracks in the housing.What pisses me off is 20gs are supposed to be the most reliable of turbos usually. Makes me wonder if they are buying real 20gs if they are having this many problems. There are knock offs out there but APS should know better.

And they are a pain to take off and test..drop the kmember is annoying.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Updates..
Well still trying to drive the car a bit but winter is close now ,really close. Temps just above zero and below at night. No snow really yet but rain and it will of course freeze at these temps.

But still fitting in a few drives here and there. Can't tune the car without the full fuel system as can't go wot so its mostly off boost or light boost 50% throttle type of thing.

Just recieved notice that my three guage aeroforce eliminator guage package has shipped and should be seeing my eboost2 and my second turbosmart kompact supersonic blow off shortly and then can put them both in.
Wondering if do need the second solenoid for the eboost2 or if can use one.Seems some guys I think ran only one and said it was ok but want to make sure have solid boost control.

Our dollar is low against yours right now so its slowing me down on ordering the big stuff I need to finish up the project. Everything I need is pretty much made in the usa. With luck dollar will come back up by spring.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Update..continuing to finish up the car and continuing to assemble the parts needed to swap over to 4l80e.

Today ordered crome moly torque arm and the 4l80e conversion crossmember with torque arm mount. Don't want to be snapping tailshafts off my tranny!

Not exact picture of the crossmember
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

so your going 80 already you didnt give the m6 any time did you. its so much fun on the street LOL what are you doing with your old tex clutch?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I am assembling everything needed for the 4l80e swap and plan on doing it in spring likely before car comes out. Yeah not really giving it any time with the m6 ,well driving it now with the m6 but as said not really going into much boost or very long in boost. till get my full fuel system in there also in spring.
Well be selling my tex and t56 but likely to local buddy. He blew his trans to hell and he will need a better clutch for his power goals. I am sick of the t56. I hate my tex floater rattle when you push pedal in which is all the time in the city traffic. I hate the shifter rattle mabye worse from the poly aps kit mounts.
I want a nice auto..too old for this standard crap. Woudl love a six speed auto but guess that will be in my c6 or c7 down the road a few years if gm is still around to make a c7!
I will still have my 97 talon as standard for now.But if it pisses me off too much its going auto as well. Sick of clutches, sick of master and slaves and bleeding clutches. Sick of it I tell you! LOL

So thats my plans to finish up the car. Get twin pump fuel system for lonnies.Get dana 60 with think 3.54s. Get 4l80e with pro yank 3400 e and possibly trans brake and alc injection and car is finished. Done .On to next projects. My 91 auto race turbo talon dedicated trailer only race car and do slightly more maybe demod my crazy 97 talon awd turbo that done up with a big gt35r and all the goodies and finish modding wifes 96z with some afr heads,cam /headers and some spray.
Oh yeah also getting direct port for the 99 ta. Have single nozzle now could use but that fast is perfect for direct port and it looks so mean when you pop the hood. Twin turbo and direct port..very scary! LOL especially to the local honda boys! and the 408 emblems on the side won't hurt either. Just wish had gone 427 but hoping the c7 get 7.0 litre base z06 engine in them. They should offer a six speed auto z06 now. Then might get one. No more sticks for me.!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Orderd more today for the car..another 3 bar need one for my two step and one for the speed density.
And got second solenoid for my eboost 2 even though sounds like you can run one ,I guess just like doing it like the instructions say. And picked up sf1 flexplate from speed inc for my 4l80e swap and b and m trans cooler.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 AM
9 Second Club

thats cool
Old 11-19-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Regular

WoW AWESOME, nice job man...
Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Mailman brought my new aeroforce triple pack today! They are pretty nice. Easy to install. Just went with the black bezel and black face with red display. Figure that will blend in nice with the factory dash illumination. Won't have any mounted pics of the gauges for awhile. Still want to get my pillar pod painted to match.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome ride! And awesome install! I will try to read the whole thread later, but right now i wont manage! Was it a Hash to do it? Or was it fairly easy?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Well the install was much more involved as did the new engine at the same time.
I had good help doing the install but it was done in my garage as you can see from the pics. But I do have a cherry picker, several good floor jacks,safety jacks and good amount of tools.
The install seemed to go on forever. As to being easy or hard most of it was fairly easy ,the manual is good and parts all seemed to fit well.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Thought some people might want some updates on my car this season.
I haven't driven it yet this season ,winter took awhile to go away and my garage is unheated.
Also had to send bucket to Lonnie to get modified and can't drive a car with no fuel pump. Just got it back from him a week or so ago and me and mechanic buddy have been working hard on the car since.
We have the twin pump system all in now. We also installed my new turbosmart kompact supersonic blow offs,they are direct fit for the aps bosch blow offs and much louder from what have been told. They are pricey like couple hundred each. They have no provision to recirc .I got caps from home depot for furniture table legs that fit on there perfectly.
I was a bit worried about the 60s not being enough so just got 120s with low impedence racetronix harness and aem box ,got that from Lonnie also.
Harness is simple plug and play . Connection to aem box is also simple plug and play.
So no worries anymore can handle a lot of power and my goal used to be 800rwhp thru auto but now is maybe 1000rwhp. Last few days have been installing zex direct port kit on my fast 90.
Hoping to get car running within next week and going to 3 bar SD now.
I also got my new dana 60 ,what a monster that is! but am going to wait for 4l80 swap to install the dana since dont' want to dick with driveshafts too much. Dana 60 requires shorter shaft, 4l80 requires different yoke so would have to rebalance,etc.

4l80 should be happening over next couple months. Local buddy is buying my t56, tex twin and old rear end and some other parts off me. Going fully built 4l80.

Not sure what going to do for tires this season. Ordered some torque thrust m wheels in 10.5 for back and 17 by 9 for front. Might run et street radials full time not sure or might run high end normal tires.
Traction of course is hard to come by with my built 408, the TTs and spray .I wish the car had traction control but it don't. About only option it didn't get. Looking at add on racelogic traction control.
Hoping to dyno and maybe track the car this year. Not sure going for max boost or whatever likely be pretty conservative this year but still hoping to see some decent numbers.
Here are couple pics of some new stuff with the car..

Old 05-10-2009, 01:37 AM
9 Second Club

holy over kill man i love it LOL
how are things
Old 05-10-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Not sure going for max boost or whatever likely be pretty conservative this year...
Yeah I can see that....

Can't wait to see the numbers.

Quick Reply: Another aps build happening now..