Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another aps build happening now..

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus. boost and direct port spray?
your really looking for those 1000 hp huh?
great work man
i my self have a red ta and i would like to go with a 427 build aps twin kit.
i was wondering would it fit?
i assume the 427 should be bigger than the 346 my car has right now.
would the turbos fit? and what size are those turbos?
would it be smart and upgrade them?
or no

Thanks!
and Great build!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No any lsx engine is same size outside. So no problem. The base aps turbos are unreliable junk pretty much. Most guys on here have had them die early deaths. Mine were still boosting at about 6000 miles but was afraid to take them past 7.5.
I upgraded to the LG turbos. But they are not on yet waiting on them to ship out to me. They seem to be getting nice numbers few guys have them and more will have them up and working soon..TomZ28, Barnat, Me, etc.
So best bet is to get a used aps kit hopefully for good price then upgrade to LG or whatever or maybe look hard at Modulars new kit.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
No any lsx engine is same size outside. So no problem. The base aps turbos are unreliable junk pretty much. Most guys on here have had them die early deaths. Mine were still boosting at about 6000 miles but was afraid to take them past 7.5.
I upgraded to the LG turbos. But they are not on yet waiting on them to ship out to me. They seem to be getting nice numbers few guys have them and more will have them up and working soon..TomZ28, Barnat, Me, etc.
So best bet is to get a used aps kit hopefully for good price then upgrade to LG or whatever or maybe look hard at Modulars new kit.
Thanks for the advice!.
i looked into the modulars new kit
but didnt really see much but talking...
but ill take a closer look into it.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

New modular kit is thread on this forum..it was originally to be a very cheap kit but now has gone high end and they have taken time to address some of the aps problem areas.
It could be very nice.
Since I have my kit already just upgraded snails and working thru the other fairly minor aps kit problems. I think pretty much any kit is going to have a few bugs or compromises.
Old sts and ati prochargers had their share of bugs/problems as well.

Anyway today went ok on the car. Swapped out that little slp oil pump spring to higher pressure one. It looked impossible at first to do without dropping pan down some and removing pump from pickup tube but by grinding down allen wrench managed to get out low pressure spring and put in higher pressure one.
Installed new fluidampr non underdrive. Installed new not sure brand high flow water pump,and installed manual belt tensioner pulley. Will be installing that Ron Davis rad in next few days.

Lots of work to do on the car while waiting on the LG turbos to show up.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New modular kit is thread on this forum..it was originally to be a very cheap kit but now has gone high end and they have taken time to address some of the aps problem areas.
It could be very nice.
Since I have my kit already just upgraded snails and working thru the other fairly minor aps kit problems. I think pretty much any kit is going to have a few bugs or compromises.
Old sts and ati prochargers had their share of bugs/problems as well.

Anyway today went ok on the car. Swapped out that little slp oil pump spring to higher pressure one. It looked impossible at first to do without dropping pan down some and removing pump from pickup tube but by grinding down allen wrench managed to get out low pressure spring and put in higher pressure one.
Installed new fluidampr non underdrive. Installed new not sure brand high flow water pump,and installed manual belt tensioner pulley. Will be installing that Ron Davis rad in next few days.

Lots of work to do on the car while waiting on the LG turbos to show up.

how close are you getting this monster on the streets and on the dyno...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Should be tracking and dynoing the car this season. I have been running my aps kit for a few seasons if you read this thread but first had just the 408 and the aps ,stock fuel pump ,then had the twin pumps but didn't have the dana 60 in the car and then had the dana 60 but did'nt have the auto or any tire that could hook it up even at only 7.5psi.

Now of course all the big stuff stuff is in there so feel a lot better about tracking the car a bit and didn't really want to dyno till car was pretty much in final form.

I just did the latest mods mostly to improve on few areas that were borderline. I wanted more braking,common sense with this type of power. I wanted to have more cooling,some of the aps guys have had overheating issues but most of them do live in hot places. It can get hot where i live but not for very long and not usually as much as down south. So far with stock rad but with 160 stat, redline water wettter, fans coming on early saw one near overheat. But it wasn't even hot that day only 70 and I was playing with tuning and pretty sure something was out to lunch on timing or fuel as once flashed in another tune the car didnt overheat again. But I wasn't pushing it using air on really hot days either.
But figured up preventative medicine is good so thats why installing now the high flow water pump and the Ron Davis rad. If that don't do it enough then will look at maybe a pusher fan or different main fans or possibly evans coolant.

Also think have some vibrations in my car and not really sure from where..some maybe from the poly motor mounts that aps supplies. But I also did have some issues with driveshaft being out of balance and torque arm angle was out some,etc.
So doing some things about that. Got the strange driveshaft balanced right before put car away so not sure if that helped a lot. Changing out tires and wheels and will get them superbalanced. Installnig fluidampr balancer. Possibly might go to carbon fiber driveshaft ,had one in past and really liked it,very smooth. Also may try putting some rubber isolators under the trans crossmember. Play with torque arm angle a bit more and may even try stock motor mounts with torque strap type of thing.

So could hook up and track it a bit got et street radials this season but having trouble finding the mags I want to mount them. Torque thrust m 10.5 inch in chrome are proving very very hard to locate. Websites say they have them then when you phone or order they don't have them in stock. Also end of season added line lock and msd two step.
And now will be trying ramping boost by rpm,time and gear. Likley be using gear on street,time at track and not sure about rpm maybe street sometimes.
And might add in variable high end traction control system ,my car came with no traction control. I am wondering if can use torque management to help in this area. Now that am an auto.

I am picky on my cars that are street not race. This car is 99% street. Only likely going to be tracked a few times ,hopefully hit a 9.xx with it and retire it from track.
I am building a track only 91 auto turbo awd talon currently as well. Talons are my other love.

Anyway current modfest on the 99 should be mostly complete within week or two and car should be out and about. But the LG turbos are hold up now they need to get here.
Should have ordered more months ago. Figured near end of Feb was good enough.
If they don't show and this other stuff is done then will be driving car but not racing it at track or dynoing it yet. Nearest dyno is several hundred miles away and nearest track about same. Also have not hooked up the nitrous yet ,its physically installed just need to finish wiring things. To tell the truth ,to me and anyone I gave rides to the car seemed pretty damn wicked fast at only 7.5psi boost only. I figure that was maybe around 600rwhp or maybe 750 or so engine. A built 408 is no slouch even without boost.
And kept compression reasonable at 9.5 to 1. Also set up car to be very streetable.
3.54 gears, don't like really wimpy gears like 3.08 or 3.23 or 2.xx. Some guys do on FI builds but my car spends a lot of time in traffic and off boost around my city.
Went with again pretty streetable torque converter,love the 4l80 in traffic over my six speed,went with a no lope granny type cam. No low end surge, I hate low end surge around town and pretty easy to tune.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Should be tracking and dynoing the car this season. I have been running my aps kit for a few seasons if you read this thread but first had just the 408 and the aps ,stock fuel pump ,then had the twin pumps but didn't have the dana 60 in the car and then had the dana 60 but did'nt have the auto or any tire that could hook it up even at only 7.5psi.

Now of course all the big stuff stuff is in there so feel a lot better about tracking the car a bit and didn't really want to dyno till car was pretty much in final form.

I just did the latest mods mostly to improve on few areas that were borderline. I wanted more braking,common sense with this type of power. I wanted to have more cooling,some of the aps guys have had overheating issues but most of them do live in hot places. It can get hot where i live but not for very long and not usually as much as down south. So far with stock rad but with 160 stat, redline water wettter, fans coming on early saw one near overheat. But it wasn't even hot that day only 70 and I was playing with tuning and pretty sure something was out to lunch on timing or fuel as once flashed in another tune the car didnt overheat again. But I wasn't pushing it using air on really hot days either.
But figured up preventative medicine is good so thats why installing now the high flow water pump and the Ron Davis rad. If that don't do it enough then will look at maybe a pusher fan or different main fans or possibly evans coolant.

Also think have some vibrations in my car and not really sure from where..some maybe from the poly motor mounts that aps supplies. But I also did have some issues with driveshaft being out of balance and torque arm angle was out some,etc.
So doing some things about that. Got the strange driveshaft balanced right before put car away so not sure if that helped a lot. Changing out tires and wheels and will get them superbalanced. Installnig fluidampr balancer. Possibly might go to carbon fiber driveshaft ,had one in past and really liked it,very smooth. Also may try putting some rubber isolators under the trans crossmember. Play with torque arm angle a bit more and may even try stock motor mounts with torque strap type of thing.

So could hook up and track it a bit got et street radials this season but having trouble finding the mags I want to mount them. Torque thrust m 10.5 inch in chrome are proving very very hard to locate. Websites say they have them then when you phone or order they don't have them in stock. Also end of season added line lock and msd two step.
And now will be trying ramping boost by rpm,time and gear. Likley be using gear on street,time at track and not sure about rpm maybe street sometimes.
And might add in variable high end traction control system ,my car came with no traction control. I am wondering if can use torque management to help in this area. Now that am an auto.

I am picky on my cars that are street not race. This car is 99% street. Only likely going to be tracked a few times ,hopefully hit a 9.xx with it and retire it from track.
I am building a track only 91 auto turbo awd talon currently as well. Talons are my other love.

Anyway current modfest on the 99 should be mostly complete within week or two and car should be out and about. But the LG turbos are hold up now they need to get here.
Should have ordered more months ago. Figured near end of Feb was good enough.
If they don't show and this other stuff is done then will be driving car but not racing it at track or dynoing it yet. Nearest dyno is several hundred miles away and nearest track about same. Also have not hooked up the nitrous yet ,its physically installed just need to finish wiring things. To tell the truth ,to me and anyone I gave rides to the car seemed pretty damn wicked fast at only 7.5psi boost only. I figure that was maybe around 600rwhp or maybe 750 or so engine. A built 408 is no slouch even without boost.
And kept compression reasonable at 9.5 to 1. Also set up car to be very streetable.
3.54 gears, don't like really wimpy gears like 3.08 or 3.23 or 2.xx. Some guys do on FI builds but my car spends a lot of time in traffic and off boost around my city.
Went with again pretty streetable torque converter,love the 4l80 in traffic over my six speed,went with a no lope granny type cam. No low end surge, I hate low end surge around town and pretty easy to tune.

i also have a thing for rally type cars.! so plus on the talon build.
and you seem to know your stuff about cars man
and im sure your "monster" will hit those 9.'s and maybe if you get a bit more crazy u can get it on the low 8's
i live in south texas. so i HARDLY ever see any weather under 70.....
i mean at night the weather is maybe at the lowest... 68....
normal temp around here is 98 and plus....
So my main problem with TT build would be the weather
Sometimes makes me want to lean more into a F1a build....
But i love turbos! ja
Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok got nitrous distribution on passenger side moved around for bit better access to things. Thought would have to remove intake but after fuel rails were removed things went ok. Installed fast fuel rails and my 80 high impedence injectors. Was running 60s until now. So some minor messing on few things due to the fast rails being different than the rails had previously. Having some trouble with throttle cruise cable bracket not clearing fitting on fast passenger rail. Anyone else have this issue? Figure out something.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Todays update. Changed fitting on drivers side rail to mount fuel filter like had before. I like the filter right on end of rail easy to get to to service. Then had to grind a bit on throttle /cruise bracket .It fits fine now.

Also installed Ron Davis rad today.It is pretty much straight drop in. We did a few minor tweaks . We put some vacuum line on air condenser tangs that go into rad to make it fit tighter together. We cut some fuel line hose and put it on bottom big ear type tangs on Ron Davis rad as it didn't fit that great onto stock rubber. Also not sure but is there any rubber spacer for passenger side corner of rad or under the locating pin on passenger side. Maybe I lost original rubber but nothing there on my car. So as said just cut fuel hose and put it on the ear tang things to cushion things up and prevent any rattling.
The top aps brackets don't fit the best on the aps but not sure even need them.
Thinking just drill a few more holes in the aps rad hold down plate. Also don't think have to cut that hold down plate at all and don't seem to have to grind anything on the top of the rad it seems to clear my intake tube setup just fine. Got some new rad hoses off ebay with no power steering cooler in them. That seems to help out as well.
So really would say Ron Davis install is super easy pieice of cake install.
Now see how much that rad ,new high flow pump work when it gets hot this summer. It won't be that hot up here for several months though.

Anyway can now fill rad and restart car ,have to reprogram for the 80s of course.
Not much point in filling rad as still can't actually go anywhere until get front brake parts so can finish them up. Back brake c5 swap is done. It is of course super simple,just bolt in c5 z06 calipers thats it. Lines hook up, stock f body caliper brackets work with the c5 calipers. You do need as said to get new rattle clips from napa or raybestos. Your stock ls1 rattle clips don't work in the c5 calipers. or in the front c5 caliper brackets.

Weather nice for weekend bit annoyed took front brakes apart and modifed them so can't drive car. If would have read instructions sooner on the c5 swap would have ordered the corvette caliper brackets long time ago. Oh well. Few more days and should be out and about this season.

New LGs still no show today. Hoping bad they show next week.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Today tweaked a bit more on that new rad install. We did maybe reverse my new gate no power steering cooler top hose as it was close to the power steering pulley center thingie. We also didn't use the factory plastic holder for the top rad hose .That stupid think was right in front of the power steering pulley center thingie reducing clearance even more. We drilled small hole in plastic fan shroud top and used wire tie to hold the top rad hose farther away from that pulley.
So not sure if we actually reversed the hose around but the way we got it now seems to work best. We didn't modify the aps rad cover plate. We also didn't bother using the aps hold down brackets. The rad seems wedged in there tight enought that couple screws on aps hold down plate seem to work and might add a few more screws still but looking fine.
Also didn't grind my ron davis rad to clear under the aps intercooler outlet. Could have if maybe wanted to pull the rad more to front but we found we had clearance for everything after we tweaked few things like the mentioned power steering hose. I do think power steering cooler would be very very tight and harder to get clearance with.
Also asked in another thread if any company makes oem type fitting aluminum shroud with high volume low profile fans on it. Plug and play would be nice too? Anyone know.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Didn't work on car today took a day off but good news is my LG turbos showed up today! Guess they shipped out about a week ago, LG was busy and never sent me tracking number but am very happy to see them here now. They look very nice.
May drive my car for week or so with the old aps turbos but will for sure be putting the LG on within a week or two. If didn't have to drop the kmember would likey have the LG on there tommorrow. But heard drivers side can be done with k on the car but not passenger side. I do have completely different kmember though so it might be doable to swap center carts with that kmember on there.

Also retuning my 295/45/17 and 285/40/17 tires and going with all 275/40/17 for et street radials and for my daily driver tires. I just can't seem to be able to get 10.5 torque thrust m in chrome anywhere and no real answer if or when American Racing will make them again.I can get black or anthracite but wanted chrome.So mabye get 10.5s down the road and ditto on wider rubber.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice, did LG say why it took so long for the turbos to show?

You're gonna have a fun time driving with those little tires in back

So you are going to run the et streets all the time? It'd probably be a good idea with all that power. I've been DD et streets for the last year and its awesome being able to mash the pedal and go instead of putting up a smoke screen.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I ordered them near end of feb but they were out of stock. And actually they shipped a week ago so took about 4 weeks. That don't seem that bad for custom parts like these and there are not that many aps kits out there that would expect them to have many in stock. I am just happy to get them.
And of course hoping they work great for many miles and years.

I really wanted to run 295/45/17 and may in future if finally get some 10.5 TTM in chrome. I am going to be doing boost ramping by gear on street and think time on track. This should help a lot in traction area. I am also going to try using trans torque management heard it can also work good ,like poor mans traction control and might try racelogic traction control system possibly next season. Wish someone would make plug and play harness and wish some more guys would try it.

I am curious to see how my various mods recently added work out in practice. Curious to see how much better the new c5 brakes work ,to see how the Ron Davis does with the high flow water pump and no underdrive.To see if the engine is any smoother with the fluidampr. And to see how cool my trans runs with ron davis cooler in rad and aux cooler.Of course also curious to see how good the LG turbos kick ***. I was afraid to turn up the boost on my standard turbos. So just used my eboost2 for monitoring . Now will boost things up and it should be fun.

Also hoping to try out some small shots of spray this year as well.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you running a swaybar? w/ spacers?

My LG upgrades came in this week as well.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

So far have not done spacers or shortened endlink on the front bar. Just been running no front bar. I do intend to install my new chrome moly sway bar for sure this season.
Maybe will do that since going to be under there mucking with the LG swap and with doing final trans cooling lines just have temp setup on there for now.

Also want to improve the oil return setup or run my turbowerx scavenger pump if need be.

Good news you got your new LG too DanDan.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Worked on car bit more. Installed 36 inch Lokar dipstick for the 4l80 and replaced the way too short 24 inch that ordered by mistake. Sounds simple but had to remove passenger gate. Thank god changed bolt setup on the gate so can remove it anytime without having to pull trans. Its very tight in there but not a huge problem since we tweaked things.Also makes it much easier if have to change out gate springs.

Worked bit on shifter cable it was used one and not working great was binding up.
And installed some Mallory billet aluminum pedals. Too bad mallory went out of business they made very nice stuff. Think got the last set of new ones in existence.

Bought antifreeze to fill up the new high flow pump and Ron Davis rad and some tranny fluid to make up for what lost with dipstick swap out and from adding rad cooler in Ron Davis. But decided no point firing up the 99 today maybe tommorrow. Fedex didn't show with my corvette caliper brackets today anyway so can't drive car till get those.

Figure possibly drive the car for a week on old turbos,they were still working when put them away and then swap in the LG /new kmember and also do hardline/stainless to new rad trans cooler and to aux trans cooler. Easier to route with kmember out of there.

Work on car a bit tommorrow maybe see how it goes,then nothing till next wednesday or so do to Easter holidays.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribe
Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Fired up yesterday. Was a bitch to get all the air ouf the cooling system but finally did.
Depressing now as have to wait for those front vette caliper brackets should have maybe did the brakes later on but really didn't know needed those vette calipers as did buy adapter kit and thought it let me use my stock caliper brackets..WRONG! LOL

Should have car running around next week ,think drive it a few days on standard turbos then put it down for few to do the LGs. Not sure if they LG will be cake or not to do. Dropping the kmember might be cake or pain.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Veteran

OK TODAY SHOULD BE CRUISING DAY! Got my needed front corvette caliper brackets yesterday finally so should be able to get the c5 swap finished up in a few hours.Going to tire store to get my new TTM mag mouted up with likely my firehawk wide ovals . Should have pair of et street radials mounted up within a week as well just waiting on another pair of mags and the tires to show up.

Do to wanting to run the car right now and the fact that my original aps turbos were still boosting ok will wait a week or two to install the new LGS.
At that time since kmember will be off getting swapped over to new custom aps/bmr kmember will also put in new hardlines and stainless lines to rad trans cooler and aux trans cooler and install boost control solenoids and front sway bar all in big modfest. Seems most effiicient way to do that stuff.

So for now have to be happy with only my 7.5psi and maybe 600 to 650 rwhp.
Still after driving slow stuff all winter it should seem like a rocket ship. Been driving my 96z for last couple weeks wtih about 325 engine hp which is helping to get me in the mood for driving my 99TT again. Great weather today think forecast in the 60s.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok with proper caliper brackets vette brakes went on like butter. Picked up my new TTM chromes with mounted tires few hours ago and they also cleared the c5 brakes with no spacers needed. Went to take car for drive and wideband plugged into cigarett lighter killed the battery so charging it and should be out cruising in an hour or so.

Quick Reply: Another aps build happening now..