Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Twin Turbo

A mustang shop looking to get into f-body turbos wants to build me a custom twin turbo set up. He gave me this list of components.
Custom-built 60mm Hybrid Turbocharger

Custom-built mandrel-bent Jet-Hot "Sterling" ceramic-coated exhaust headers

Custom-built mandrel-bent Jet-Hot "Sterling" ceramic coated turbo kit tubing

TIAL 38mm aluminum billet wastegate

Bosch blowoff valve

Custom-built aluminum high-efficiency air/air Intercooler

8 upgraded fuel injectors

Silicone reinforced intercooler hoses

Stainless steel high torque T-Bolt hose clamps

Stainless steel V-Band clamps

S&B conical intake air filters

Custom-built exhaust to cat-back piping

Computer program upgrade

How does it look? What questions should I have for him?

Thanks guys

Old 09-11-2003, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Custom Twin Turbo

Are they Jet-Hoting stainless steel or mild steel? Never heard of coating stainless because it expands so much. Coating the inside of mild can be a bad thing on turbo cars. If a large piece of the coating comes off and hits the exhaust wheel it could ruin the turbo. A stainless manifold would be best if they know how to design it so it can properly expand + contract without cracking.

Some questions for them

1) Is the manifold going to be equal length tubes or a log manifold? Stay away from the log if possible.

2) What are they using for boost control. They maybe relaying on the wastegate spring. I would install and aftermarket electronic boost controller. Helps build boost faster, holds boost more steady, and also has built in fail safes if something goes wrong.

3) Are the oil returns from the turbos going to be gravity feed or are they going to use pumps?

4) Have they made other turbo kits successfully already? Any one can weld up a turbo exhaust manifold and say it’s a custom kit. If they don’t know what they are going it will not perform well.

You said it was a twin turbo set up so I am assuming there will be 2 Custom-built 60mm Hybrid Turbochargers,2 TIAL wastegates, 2 air/air Intercooler

mark

Old 09-12-2003, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Why should log manifolds be avoided? Do they flow a lot less than equal length headers?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

messes up the exhasut pulses so equal length flows better. you can read corkey bells book maximum boost for more details.

ALso i had my piping cermic coated, inside and out. If it will flake on the inside, it will also be flaking on the outside, and something would be wrong, from to much heat. that coating can really stand up.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Would a log manifold still work ok though? I'm looking to make around 500rwhp with the stock compression and possibly alky/water injection if needed until I can build up a new short block.

I'll definitely check out that book.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

My old incon manifolds were log style. Stock motored cars can make near 600RWHP with the right fuel. Mine was at 700RWHP before i ran out of turbo.

Logs will work just fine for most applications.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Thank you yet again!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your feedback. I will call them and figure things out. I 'll keep you posted.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Launching!

I'd like some pics because I thought log style was used on the LS1motorsports kit and the incon used more of a header/manifold style?

Old 09-13-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the stock manifolds are still 'logs' but at least they point toward the exit of the mainfold where as the ls1m kits log entries are nearly perpindicular. and even after that 8 cyls are going through that log instead of 4 on each of the incon manifolds.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

On a single, yeah you might have issues. Your really better of joining the two banks at the inlet to the turbo.

But a pair of log manifolds for a twin setup will be cost effective, and make more power than the average person needs

Old 09-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Launching!

the stock manifolds are still 'logs' but at least they point toward the exit of the mainfold where as the ls1m kits log entries are nearly perpindicular. and even after that 8 cyls are going through that log instead of 4 on each of the incon manifolds.
Got ya. I had been under the impression that log means 90 degree entries with no direction toweard the outlet.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Teching In

It is going to be a single kit. Is 60mm a good size turbo for my stock engine. I will upgrade to a boost controller, anything else recommended?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

messes up the exhasut pulses so equal length flows better. you can read corkey bells book maximum boost for more details.

ALso i had my piping cermic coated, inside and out. If it will flake on the inside, it will also be flaking on the outside, and something would be wrong, from to much heat. that coating can really stand up.
corkeys book is really good. Logs work they are just not the most efficient way to do things. They usually go this route because it’s cheaper and takes up less space. Similar to crimp bent exhaust tubes vs. mandrel bent. Both work but one works a lot better.

The inside of the piping will see much more heat than the outside. The whole purpose of coating the inside is so the heat is not absorbed by the piping and stays inside. Just have it coated by a reputable place. May want to get in writing that it will not flake off on the inside and that they would be responsible for the damage to your turbo if it does.

mark

Quick Reply: Custom Twin Turbo