Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

car wont start after injector install

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wont start after injector install

I know the car needs to be tuned , but i just finnished putting the car together after a h/c install that had a leaking head gasket issue. The only difference from last time to this time is my new 42lb injectors were installed. The car wouldnt start at first, but when it finally did it wouldnt stay on unless i stayed on the gas. It still has trouble starting up though. Is this normal when going to 42lbers or do i have another issue?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a tune just to get it to idle right. then you need more tuning for it to run right. some people (maybe most) can get away with 30lb injectors but i know my 36lbers would not idle right without at least a tune to the ifr table.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 PM
FormerVendor

Need a tune for sure, you are more than likely dumping so much fuel into the cylinder that it wont fire. And I agree with LS2nut, you are very over injectored.

Stop trying to crank it, and check the oil, its probably full of fuel, which will promptly destroy your main bearings.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls2nut
i hope you realize that 42 lb injector running in an ls1 car are flowing 50lbs because most are rated at 43.5psi fuel pressure. you tun 58psi.. if i read correctly you have 335 rwhp. maybe 400 at the crank. the injectors you put in support 600 hp. IMO you are way way over injected unless i missed something
Those numbers are pre heads / cam. My setup now is tfs 215's , pat g custom cam , fast 92/92. So I should run the stockers til i am ready to tune for the 42's ? Also, should i do a new fuel pump?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

you don't have too much of an injector. you have to go WAY big to run into problems or buy crap injectors.

you will be fine, you just have to tune them before the car will run, and tune the actual car afterwards on the dyno
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

just a thought. I put FAST 36's on after my H/C + intake and it did the same thing. I pulled off the vacume hose to the TB to create a little more air in there. It got me to the tuner who was 2 hours away. But I do agree, unless you go forced induction...42's are money mis-spent. But...go big or go home!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you changed your injectors out and haven't accounted for it with tuning software, such as hp tuners or efi live, then that is your problem. The computer is still programed for the stock injectors.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
If you changed your injectors out and haven't accounted for it with tuning software, such as hp tuners or efi live, then that is your problem. The computer is still programed for the stock injectors.
Yes, thank you for your insight, but if you look at the first post you will see that i am already aware that the car needed to be tuned for the injectors not to mention the heads, cam, 92/92. I was not aware that the car wouldnt even start without a tune. I thought it would start but run rough. This is why i installed the stockers until i am ready for a tune.

Quick Reply: car wont start after injector install