Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Controlling an A1000 (a few questions)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Controlling an A1000 (a few questions)

Alright all, I just picked up an A1000 for my fuel system, which will be setup as follows:

Sumped tank to -10 AN feed to 100 micron filter to A1000 to 10 micron filter to -10 feed line to pro products rails to A1000 regulator (mounted to the rails with -10 fittings), to -6 AN return to tank.

I'm only pushing ~550-600 RWHP, so the pump should be able to handle it fine. 60 lbs injectors.

Here's where my question comes in. Aeromotive makes their "billet fuel pump controller" which looks to just be a PWM voltage stepper at best. I can build that, it's not that bloody complicated. Therein lies my question, does anyone know what the voltage step is out of it? I've got an 8 gauge feeding the relay for the pump now, which will get ~13.5 volts or so at the pump (underdriven electrical system). I'm just curious if anyone has measured what the voltage drop is when the controller is "functioning".

I realize the pump can probably handle my setup without the controller, but I'd like to keep it slowed down for longevity as well as my own sanity from the noise...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that exact same set up and it has been good to 620rwhp with no issues.
your pump location will be critical. when mine was mounted in front of the tank, it would vapor lock and act all goofy.
once I moved the pump to the rear of the tank and mounted it just below the feed line it worked like a charm. these pumps push great, but dont pull worth a damn.

sorry, I dont know what the controller voltage drop is when its on.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard that with the Aeromotives, location being critical that is.

Mine will be directly behind the sump, level or below the sump (and thus well below the fuel level) so it should be well fed. Glad to hear it's worked well for you, are you running the controller?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Pump speed controler does not lower voltage it uses pulse width modulation to decrease flow. Lowering voltage is hard on electric pumps.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I phrased that poorly.

I know it's a PWM (I noted that in the original post). Just curious if anyone knows what the effective reduction is. Doesn't look like anybody does, so I may just build an adjustable with a high current bypass and see what works best.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Teching In

The reduction in flow that we have seen is 30% on our flow bench.