Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump blowing bubbles after water in the gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel pump blowing bubbles after water in the gas?

Hi
My TA has 23,000 miles on it, has been running good, the other night I had a half tank so I filled up and drove 6mi home, next morning it would not stay running, blowing whit/grey smoke out the exhaust and going from stoich to very lean and shutting down, we figured out that the gas was bad because I had water in the gas (whatever settled to the bottom of the glass and looks like water) ran the water out with the fuel pump, it still is putting out approx. 55 lbs with the key on and pump turned on, but it's blowing bubbles, did the water screw up the pump or something or what happened?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Launching!

No one has any ideas?
I have discussed this with several shops and no one seems to have any idea other than to throw parts at it.
Can any one tell me if there should be air in the fuel line comming to the rails, is this normal?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bubbles you are are likely minute reminants of moisture in the fuel that look like air. Shake some salad dressing lightly (the vinegar/oil variety) & you will likely see the same thing.

Add a heavy dose of dry gas additive & then see if it goes away. It should be OK.

FYI pumping water is very hard on a fuel pump due to the increased weight & viscosity. Hopefully you did have to pump gallons of water with it?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
The bubbles you are are likely minute reminants of moisture in the fuel that look like air. Shake some salad dressing lightly (the vinegar/oil variety) & you will likely see the same thing.

Add a heavy dose of dry gas additive & then see if it goes away. It should be OK.

FYI pumping water is very hard on a fuel pump due to the increased weight & viscosity. Hopefully you did have to pump gallons of water with it?
How can I tell if it damaged the fuel pump at all?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02WS6FREEBIRD
How can I tell if it damaged the fuel pump at all?

PSI /flow test. But a little water in the gas shouldnt break a fuel pump. My 4X4 (long story) but gas tank filled half way with water. I pulled fuel line off the Rail turned the pump on and a pumped out the whole gas tank. Refuel truck and worked for next 15k miles, i crashed the truck at the time it still worked good
Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance

What is a "heave dose" of dry gas...3-4 bottles or is that to much or not enough?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go max dosage of whatever brand you buy.

If the water contamination was severe, you may wish to add 5 gal fuel, max dose the drier, mix it up/ run it a little & then drain as much as possible & repeat. It is cheaper than being stranded on the side of the road.