Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Estimate of HP gain with using E85 in my SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deedubb
That is my dynosheet that Vaticano just posted. My mods are in my sig. We were able to come up 7 or 8 degrees in timing I believe. My duty cycle is at 100% there also. I need to move up from the 42#ers to the 60#ers.
That is a nice increase for the price thats great to hear! Thanks.

Originally Posted by RAACCR
From my experience with e85 conversions, we typically pick up 5% after tuning mild n/a applications. High compression and/or forced induction car & trucks pick up a LOT more.
Well 5% is 32.5 on my car so if we were talking say 10% increase that would be around 60 which would be dam near as good as a nitrous kit imo. Without filling bottles, haha. Do you have any examples you can post from tuning you have done?

Originally Posted by Zombie
FWIW, I've pushed the limits on the stock fuel system. I'm making close to 900 hp at the crank in e85 with dual walbros and 95lb/hr injectors. That's it, the rest of the fuel system is stock, rails, lines, regulator, filter, still dead head.

Not ideal, but it's been working. Swapping to return style now because I need more fuel.
Good lord, I will say I am impressed something didnt blow apart but I would say you are in line for an upgrade. I do have a return style system with the regulator, but do you happen to know what your injectors are running at?

I have had bad luck with aftermarket rails and fittings, thats why the burnt TA in my sig is now a project after the fitting broke and burned the front of the car up.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
You gained more power from cooler intake temps (inefficient intercooler) and lack of fuel volume (not enough pump or delivery).
There's some truth to that. No intercooler is going to work effectively on a dyno with the low air speed from a couple fans, but IATs were still low either way (<110). But you are wrong in assuming lack of fuel as it had low 11s without the meth. It actually went too low with the injection and could have been leaned out some more. Gains were mostly from increases in timing as boost was fixed.

If you want to run E85, just do it already.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white01ss

If you want to run E85, just do it already.
As for the intercooler and intake temps mine were at like 180+ and I am planning to upgrade the water tank and pump because mine is a2w. As for the quote, its not cheap and I dont have E85 in my town I will have to go to columbus or pittsburg to get it. Thats why I want to do some homework/research and get some opinions before I spend the money and it isnt worth doing. Matt.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not done breaking in my motor or tuning it for that matter but,
I currently am running 13.5:1 compression and have been up to 5000 rpm and 8 psi. with no KR issues.
IMHO it's well worth it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
Good lord, I will say I am impressed something didnt blow apart but I would say you are in line for an upgrade. I do have a return style system with the regulator, but do you happen to know what your injectors are running at?
Was testing the limits on stuff like I usually do (and being a cheap bastard). Just ordered the fuel plumbing yesterday, $1050 for fittings, lines, rails, regulator, filter and check valve. Using stock feed as a return and running new -10 feed line.

Fuelab in tank pump and injectors are another $1100, but I don't think I've maxxed out my 95's yet due to the twin walbros maxxing out. I want to run lower fuel pressure though so I'm swapping to 120's. I'm pushing over 100% DC on the injectors at 15psi boost.

Not cheap to do, but e85 is awesome.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
As for the intercooler and intake temps mine were at like 180+ and I am planning to upgrade the water tank and pump because mine is a2w. As for the quote, its not cheap and I dont have E85 in my town I will have to go to columbus or pittsburg to get it. Thats why I want to do some homework/research and get some opinions before I spend the money and it isnt worth doing. Matt.
Just seem liked you are dead set on doing E85. On the bright side, once you upgrade your fuel system you could go back to E10 with a tune if you want. What's the compression on your motor?

Your IATs are way high. Methanol injection would probably knock it down close to 100. Sometimes I'm seeing below ambient IAT with mine. That stuff is freaking magic and 5 gallons lasts a very long time.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zombie
Was testing the limits on stuff like I usually do (and being a cheap bastard). Just ordered the fuel plumbing yesterday, $1050 for fittings, lines, rails, regulator, filter and check valve. Using stock feed as a return and running new -10 feed line.

Fuelab in tank pump and injectors are another $1100, but I don't think I've maxxed out my 95's yet due to the twin walbros maxxing out. I want to run lower fuel pressure though so I'm swapping to 120's. I'm pushing over 100% DC on the injectors at 15psi boost.

Not cheap to do, but e85 is awesome.
Wow, well good luck with everything, let me know how it turns out.

[QUOTE=white01ss;12936940]Just seem liked you are dead set on doing E85. On the bright side, once you upgrade your fuel system you could go back to E10 with a tune if you want. What's the compression on your motor?

QUOTE]

Not dead set I wouldnt say but I want to do a dual tune that way if I cant get E85 somewhere I can still put 93 in it. I have checked on the water/meth injection and it costs about as much to install with a tank as does a dual pcm and second tune so its a toss up. Basically thats why I wanted to consider E85 as an alternative and it reduces my dependence on foreign oil lol...Matt.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Oh and the compression with the dish pistons was ~9:1.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Anybody do any tuning changes now that spring is here?

Quick Reply: Estimate of HP gain with using E85 in my SS