Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help with a 5.3L out of a 2002 Tahoe will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it probably would be worth it to pull the passenger side to check it and replace the o rings. You will have to get a connector to test with. (Redneck Olympics AKA junk yard)
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on another note, I have run into sticking fuel pressure regulators. On a swap recently I was involved with locally, when we turned on the key fuel pump come on...we primed it a few times since everything was dry...after two primes the fuel pump sounded very loaded. We put a gauge on the fuel rail, 90 psi.

I'm not sure at what pressure, but at some point, I believe the injectors will not open under that amount of pressure (electrical force has to overcome fuel pressure) Maybe I'm wrong on this...

Anyway...I usually will take the regulator out and let it soak for a while. I have also had to use shop air pressure on the inlet line and foce about 120 psi in to break it free. This of course makes a ton of fumes & fuel spray if fuel is in the rail, so be smart, DON'T DO THIS IN DOORS AT ALL. I've done it with the rail off the motor, OUTSIDE. After that, fuel regulator went on to work flawless. of course after we fix that, all 8 injectors were plugged.

I've built a small circuit with a 555 timer and a transistor. It will pulse the injector for you. I have a rotary **** on it and can adjust the pulse width. I can usually un-stick an injector in 2-3 minutes with this, with injector soaking and pulsing. My experience is once you get them unstuck, and get some miles on the motor and fresh gas, I've not had any further problems out of them.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey if you need a set i have stock 25 lbders out of a lq4 with the goofy truck connector ends.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Teching In

thanks I am trying to clean my injectors out. I have the Z-flex injectors 62PSI.
My new wiring harness was shipped and it should be here or tomorrow and I will hopefully have it running this weekend.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by busta9876
I'm not sure at what pressure, but at some point, I believe the injectors will not open under that amount of pressure (electrical force has to overcome fuel pressure) Maybe I'm wrong on this...
I have seen injectors running at 95 PSI (faulty regulator)
I think excessive pressure can "block" them but I'm not sure
Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

would a stuck fuel regulator cause the fuel lines under the hood to make a cavitation noise. with a fuel gauge connected to the nipple on the passenger side I do not get any air out. I am not sure if this is a issue yet or not.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

check your crank sensor wires.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Talking I quoted

Originally Posted by djbjess
If your car is running it is a lot easier. If it does not start then yes you have to pull the fuel injectors.

Best of luck
you. I was not looking for info.
I have an injector clean/flow bench, and was curious as to how you were cleaning them.
Soaking them in carb cleaner may destroy the coil insulation....

And, as for the probability of all 8 being clogged. The answer is yes. I clean/flow injs that are out of junk yard engines that won't run when sold. They are frequently beyond cleaning....
Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Old post I know, but what was the problem? I am having the same issues and would like to know what your out come was?

Riggs.

Quick Reply: Help with a 5.3L out of a 2002 Tahoe will not start