Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Loud hissing from top half. Fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Loud hissing from top half. Fuel injectors?

I am still a newbie so please bare with me fellas. I did do a few searches but did not find anything that specifically answered my questions.

I have a 97 LT1 SS and have come across a loud hissing sound which seems to be coming from the top half. The car has been mildly sputtering in slow accelerations, like in parking lots and stop lights.

At first i thought i had a bad vacuum leak. So i checked the lines for cracks and sprayed some of them with WD40, hoping to find the leak, but found nothing.

The hissing sound seems to be coming from the intake somewhere, more so on the driver side than the passenger.

The Check Engine Light IS lit up, but always is since the previous owner chopped off the exhaust, so the O2 Sensors are constantly confused and the Check Engine Light just stays lit. Since its Saturday i have not had a chance to take the car to my mechanic to run the codes, which i know would help..lol.

But from what i am describing here, does it sound like i have a bad Injector?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like intake manifold vacuum leak, not an injector problem
Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FrankSS
Sounds like intake manifold vacuum leak, not an injector problem
Thanks for the reply Frank. So if that is the case, where or what would most likely be leaking? Intake seal, intake cracked even? Is that a common LT1 issue that you know of? I will do a few searches and see what comes up.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:38 AM
12 Second Club

there is an EGR valve on the back of the intake that could be leaking... or a gasket on it or between the intake and heads. try spraying carb cleaner to find the leak...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Launching!

lol well i finally found it!! The leak is underneath on the 90 degree vacuum boot, that's why my idle wasn't objecting when i was spraying the area with WD40. But i stuck my fingers down underneath it, and it feels just like a bad radiator hose would feel, all soft and weak.

I am posting this in the LT1 section to see if i can get any help. But i will ask you since you have been nice enough to respond and send me in the right direction.

I have no idea what this vacuum line is called or what it goes to. It sits right below the vacuum fitting which feeds the lines back to the EGR. Its a decent size vacuum line shaped in a 90 degree angle. The line has a housing which is square (ish) and sits right on the bottom driver side of the intake. Outbound, there is a metal line which runs down the side of the intake, and around to the front of the block. I don't know where it hooks up to though. I would have to take the CAI off, and after that who knows what. I may take it off later and trace the line some more, but not while its close to a 100 degrees outside with no shade.

Maybe the pics will help.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Figured it out...PCV..lol. Feel kinda silly now after that long drawn out explanation. Thanks again for your help though Frank!!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

good deal... and i was just about to tell you what it is. i had a friends car that had a leak in the same spot with that hose dry rotted