Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel System Configuration?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel System Configuration?

My setup is an 06 ls2/t56 in a 63 corvette grandsport.

I have ordered a Bosch 044, magnafuel pre and post filters(24microns and 74microns), and a magnafuel returnless regulator similar to the C5 wix regulator. As far as the orientation of the filters and regulators are there any specifics?
prefilter-pump-regulator-postfilter?
prefilter-pump-postfilter-regulator?
3/8 fuel line or 5/8 to the rail?

The pump, filters and regulators are large -8 and -10an which is why I ask about running 3/8 or 5/8 line.

An intank pump is out of the question because of the configuration of the fuel cell. I ran a range rover pre filter, walbro and c5 regulator on my last build but wanted to step it up this time.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Ok I posted to this earlier what happen to it???

Which MagnaFuel Regulator are you using all there "returnless" are carb style. Correct setup would prefilter-pump-postfilter-regulator for a returnless. and -3/8" will feed the motor sufficiently. If you are trying to "step it up" why not run a true return style system?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Launching!

I have no clue. This is the first post that Ive seen. Thanks for the reply. This is the regulator I was looking at. Its the only thing I havent purchased. Wasnt sure whether to get it or the c5 regulator. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRF-MP9925/
Im stupid..thought it was returnless when I glanced through..So any recommendations on another returnless regulator?

I just wanted a more reliable system with a touch more potential. I guess the returnless seems easier and its what LS2s have stock. I also dont feel like bending two sets of stainless hardline.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Launching!

I found this aeromotive reg. I think will work
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-13155/

Is there really any need? or should I just go with the C5 regulator like I did last time and the 2 magnafuel filters?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

If just doing a returnless system just the C5 reg./filter is fine.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Thanks. Is there any need to run the 75 micron magnafuel filter if I run the c5 regulator after the pump? Wouldnt the c5 reg. be considered a post filter?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ellis Juan
Wouldnt the c5 reg. be considered a post filter?
I'd like to know as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Launching!

My fuel system is functional and the car is running strong. The setup seems so "busy" pre-pump-post-regulator, seems like a lot to pull and push fuel through, but I guess its ok.

One thing I wanted to add to the setup was a one way check valve before the pump and pre filter. The only place optional to mount my pump was a foot or so higher than the outlet on the fuel tank. The first time the pump primes for the day kinda sounds "airy" if you will. Almost like fuel has drained back down the line and the pump is having to pull it up again. Would the check valve be effective with easing this problem?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
I'd like to know as well.
Corvette Filter/regulator is just fine on its own
Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Launching!

You think its too much restriction and hurting the pump with the 74 microns post filter with the regulator?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Anyone? Im gonna take the 74 micron off tonight. It seems like a lot of work for the pump to push and pull through 3 filters. I am going to add a teflon one way check valve before the pump as well.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM
FormerVendor

I dont see an issue but it is just redundant.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing you should run between the tank & pump is a pre filter. Preferrably a coarse mesh type filter no finer than 75 micron (I usually use 100). Any restriction will adversely effect the pumps ability to flow & can result in cavitation.

You stated pre & post 25/75. The pre filter should be the big number....

If you run the combination Vette filter/regulator, nothing else is needed after the pump & anything else will result in reduced flow... plus a waste of money.

The check valve is also a not needed as the pump has one in it....plus never use one before the pump only after.

Also the pump should be lower than the tank as the added restriction if mounted high can cause you problems. Gravity feed is the correct way.

Personally, you should have consulted with someone knowledgable in fuel systems before you built one. You have a bunch of things in your design that can cause you problems.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Launching!

All can be easily remedied! I know that gravity feed is the most efficient and I wanted to mount it below the tank, but it is almost impossible with my application. The only place that I might could get lower than the tank would be if I installed the pump about mid car on the frame rail. In which case it would be pulling fuel instead of pushing which Iv heard some say isnt the best either. Plus space constraints with the way the body fits on the frame really makes it impossible. So I will just have to live with the pump location.

The filters are an easy fix. Sorry for the confusion. I had the filters in the correct location I just listed the wrong micron numbers. I will just remove the post filter and leave the vette regulator. I never installed the check valve so Im good there. Thanks to all for helping get this sorted out. Good thread!

Quick Reply: Fuel System Configuration?