Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racing fuel and tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing fuel and tuning

I just bought some VP100 and I am going to mix it with some of their 105 or 110 stuff.. So my question is. When I take this car to the track what can I safley do with the timing? Or is it wise to do anything. I am running a total of 28 degrees of timing at W.O.T.. Has anyone had any experience with racing fuel and manipulating timing. My first instinct would be I could add a few degress and not be harmfull. On the other hand I am running nitrous too. Can someone help me out here.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first of all, it all has to be unleaded, unless you are running OLSD.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
first of all, it all has to be unleaded, unless you are running OLSD.
It is unleaded. It's the VP 100 Street Blaze. They also have one that's more expensive. It's like 105 or something like that. I will pick up a five gallon bucket of that as well. No everything is set here as far as having the right stuff and the ability to tune for it. Just need some advice or guidance if you will. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Come on guys no racers out there at all. Maybe I'll post in a different section I might get a better response. What happend to all the techies that use to run this site. Like frost and the Cantalope Kid and Wssick.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Why are you mixing the two fuels? Makes things complicated because you have to reproduce the same mixture that you tuned for each time you run. Anyway, VP 100 is an oxygenated fuel that also contains ethanol. It's probably going to need quite a different tune than your baseline (just a WAG because I don't know what your current tune is based on). The safe way to tune is to start richer and with less timing than your base tune. Lean it out slowly looking for the car to slow down or show any sign of detonation on the plugs. The you can advance the timing a couple of degrees at a time until it agian slows down of shows signs of detonation.

Again, I wonder why you are doing this in the first place. What is your current setup, what is the goal?

Richard
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rskrause
Why are you mixing the two fuels? Makes things complicated because you have to reproduce the same mixture that you tuned for each time you run. Anyway, VP 100 is an oxygenated fuel that also contains ethanol. It's probably going to need quite a different tune than your baseline (just a WAG because I don't know what your current tune is based on). The safe way to tune is to start richer and with less timing than your base tune. Lean it out slowly looking for the car to slow down or show any sign of detonation on the plugs. The you can advance the timing a couple of degrees at a time until it agian slows down of shows signs of detonation.

Again, I wonder why you are doing this in the first place. What is your current setup, what is the goal?

Richard
I am running about 450 to the wheels before the nitrous. Also 11.1 to 1 compression. Nitrous is 125 shot. Timing tuner is pulling 5 dregress of timing during activation of N.O.S. My goal is to make as much Power as I can on the raing fuel. I was wondering if I could drecrease the total number of dregrees of timing being pulled since I am running higher octane fuel. My theory here is that a engine running a street tune is going to make more power than that same engine runing a nos tune ( with out the n.o.s ). Does the increase in octane allow me to advance timing closer to street tune with nitrous? Or is there more cylinder pressure dynamics going on here that I am not considering?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may get away with a few degrees.To keep things conistant you need to run at least 10 gallons.Even if you drive to the track and let it get to empty there is still a few(?) gallons left which will dilute 5 gallons of race fuel.After you make a few passes your tank is getting low and if you pump some air to the motor on a hard launch,especially with NOS,then it will be head gasket or motor time.People think that race fuel is too expensive so they buy a small amount.When you get to the track drain the tank by wiring a switch to your fuel pump.Drain the tank.Stop the pump when you see your rubber line pulsing as you are pumping air andfuel and running the pump dry will kill it.Add 10 gallons or more of race fuel and run the car.Drain the tank at the end of the day and save for the next time you go down.This is the safe way and you are not spending extra for 10 gallons compared to five.Even this way the gas gets diluted as you can never drain it all with the pump.After say 5 weekends at the track run out the remainder on the street and start with a fresh batch.It's crazy to mix race fuel.You want the highest octane you can get with NOS.The safest way to run NOS and race fuel is a dedicated tank and pump.Worth the investment.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Racing fuel and tuning