Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Dual Walbro Wiring Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
I'm not understanding why you would even want to wire through a sending unit. All the sending unit is, is a lever and a float that has an electrical dial. I believe the sending unit is a resistance based dial. You wouldn't run your pumps off of it. Your pumps have two wires each, a positive and a negative. They are either on or they are off. The fuel pressure is not adjusted nor related to the sending unit. All the sending unit does is tell your gas tank fuel level. Your fuel pressure regulator is not electrical, its mechanical. If this has not answered your question, please re-ask or ask in a different way. I'm not understanding how its relative to this dual fuel pump with a hobbs switch install.
Sorry for the confusion, I used the term "sending unit" as reference to the entire unit(bucket, hanger, pumps, etc.) that slides into the top of the tank. Not the fuel level sender.

So basically, how are you wiring the pumps from the outside top of the tank through to the pumps in the tank?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets see if I can remember:

The blue wire from your relays are positive. The back wire is negative. Wire both of your relays black wires together. So you should then have 4 black wires tied together, both relays and the negative from your primary pump and the black wire from your harness. Your secondary fuel pump will get its ground from: the relay to your hobbs switch. You will then hook your hobbs switch to your secondary fuel pump to complete the negative(ground). When in boost the positive pressure will complete the connection from the hobbs switch to the fuel pump, but not until then.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

hey i was wondering which wire on the 98 ls1 f-body is the wire to tap into for another pump to energize the relay to activate a secondary pump?
i have a fuel system diagram but which wire do i use in the back fo the car? which pin do i tap into? im thinking the grey 120 wire but im a bit unsure and just wondering which one oyu guys are using?
Name:  98transamfuelwiring_zps9a3a1012.png
Views: 10188
Size:  341.0 KB

i already have a racetronics hotwire and pump, i plan on using it for somthing else but im want to activate a pump using that wire but i need some convermation. i also plan on doing a dual pump as well so this would also help this part out as well. thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Pin B8 DK GRN/WHT on the underhood box. Since you're boosting, use a hobbs switch on the ground leg of the secondary relay to keep the pump from running constantly
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
hey i was wondering which wire on the 98 ls1 f-body is the wire to tap into for another pump to energize the relay to activate a secondary pump?
i have a fuel system diagram but which wire do i use in the back fo the car? which pin do i tap into? im thinking the grey 120 wire but im a bit unsure and just wondering which one oyu guys are using?

i already have a racetronics hotwire and pump, i plan on using it for somthing else but im want to activate a pump using that wire but i need some convermation. i also plan on doing a dual pump as well so this would also help this part out as well. thanks
It is B8 GRY, im doing mine the same way
Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

just to confirm, i did a little sneaky ****, i used the gray wire that plugs into the racetronics supplied plug in. it was really simple actaully lol less wire and quick hookup. pump primes with the fuel pump. also like the fact that i can cycle the key once or twice to get some of the shutdown oil out of the lines before i get out of the car.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for this.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pocket
Diagrams are easier to read than words

Ok I have some questions...

When your running your two grounds for the pumps do they need to be comoletely seperste wires grounded on seperate terminals in the body or can you splice them together and ground them on the same terminal?

When running the power for the pumps on a fused wire can you run one wire and split off to both pumps or do you have to run two fused wires for each pump seperately?

Last question, Im a nitrous car and im a little confused on how I would activate my hobbs switch as I wont be having ay type of boost for the hobbs switch to recognize. Would I just wire my second pump to my activation switch so when activated nitrous the second pump would kick on?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Anyone??
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

When your running your two grounds for the pumps do they need to be comoletely seperste wires grounded on seperate terminals in the body or can you splice them together and ground them on the same terminal?
Doesnt matter how many grounds as long as they're solid. If using a single wire to ground, be sure its big enough to support both pumps

When running the power for the pumps on a fused wire can you run one wire and split off to both pumps or do you have to run two fused wires for each pump seperately?
Same thing

Last question, Im a nitrous car and im a little confused on how I would activate my hobbs switch as I wont be having ay type of boost for the hobbs switch to recognize. Would I just wire my second pump to my activation switch so when activated nitrous the second pump would kick on?
Depends how your system is setup. Most likely you'd use the master arm to trigger the second pump or window switch, but can change however. You wont be using a hobbs switch without boost
Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pocket
Doesnt matter how many grounds as long as they're solid. If using a single wire to ground, be sure its big enough to support both pumps

Same thing

Depends how your system is setup. Most likely you'd use the master arm to trigger the second pump or window switch, but can change however. You wont be using a hobbs switch without boost
Ok thanks for the help... I'll trigger the second pump with my WOT switch...
Old 09-26-2014, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bringing this thread back up to ask about th Hobbs switch. Where are people ordering it from? I got on summit and looked for one but couldn't find the one I was needing. Bought the same relay though that was in the first post here.. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same guy bumping this thread twice!

I've got my pumps done and everything is wired. It works fine but we have a problem. I've used the same wire to energize both relays (gray) and they run fine. The problem is as soon as you touch the hot wires to the battery the pumps come on. They are not being activated by the key on position. I don't have my Hobbs hooked up yet so I'm assuming that's why the second pump Will come on as well.

I've triple checked my wiring and don't see any difference in mine and the
OPs wiring from the first thread.. Someone please give me some suggestions on where to start looking..
Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Per that diagram, the red wires power the relays and the green wires trigger it then sending the power to the pumps via the gray wires.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I never seen the green wore from the pcm? The gray wire from my understanding was what supplied the power if you read the OPs first post. It says nothing about a green wire. Their is a green wire around the harness but I believe it just goes to the sending unit.

My red wires coming from the relays just go to the battery. Am I getting myself confused?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The green wire comes from the pcm into the relay, the gray wire is Out of the relay to the pumps it's now just a trigger wire . ( at least that's how mine is wired) hopefully I didn't just tell what you already know lol!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slocaddy
The green wire comes from the pcm into the relay, the gray wire is Out of the relay to the pumps it's now just a trigger wire . ( at least that's how mine is wired) hopefully I didn't just tell what you already know lol!
Ok, on the original post it says nothing about the green wire! The only one I seen in the back is the one going to the sending unit?? Confused...
Old 02-09-2015, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you're doing now is using the previous pump wiring as a trigger wire, to close the contacts sending power to the pump(s). Follow the diagram quoted in post 49. Find out what the trigger wire is for what your year you have and use that for your new relays. The trigger wire isn't the load carrying wire, so it will be a small gauge wire.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
All you're doing now is using the previous pump wiring as a trigger wire, to close the contacts sending power to the pump(s). Follow the diagram quoted in post 49. Find out what the trigger wire is for what your year you have and use that for your new relays. The trigger wire isn't the load carrying wire, so it will be a small gauge wire.
Well, in that case , their IS a green wire coming from the factory harness. It goes to the sending unit though. The thing that sucks is the original pump wiring that you say is the trigger wire is cut in the tank still. I wan fresh power wires to both pump to the relays as well.

Quick Reply: Dual Walbro Wiring Install