Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Low fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryansz
The reason the stock o-rings pop off is because the regulator housing gets oval shaped after awhile from the clip and snap ring pressing on it constantly. GM should have made that housing anything except plastic. So everytime you put the o-ring back on, it will eventually pop off because the housing is no longer circular. But with the bigger o-ring it creates a better and much tighter fit and seal. And on top of this i took the stock o-ring and placed it on the plastic spacer so I now have 2 o-rings. Once i got the o-rings and regulator to fit firmly down in the housing, I used a hose clamp to put around the housing and regulator and tightened it down just to assure this problem wouldnt happen again. I agree, you cant tell anything after one day, but my stock setup and o-ring would pop off usually once every hour or so. I have driven the car for about 12 hours today and gave her some hell and it has not popped off. Only time will tell. I do recomend you try this setup. I only cost 10 cents for an o-ring and a buck for a hose clamp.
Oh I definitely hear you on the o rings being cheap. I don't replace the FPR, I buy an o ring in the same size and replace it. Been about 2 weeks since I've had one blow. If another does, I'll probably try out your setup. Previously I actually replaced the whole fuel pump assembly with a new OEM one, and the new FPR actually blew in like 3 weeks, thats why I think it has to be caused by backpressure somewhere, although I agree with you, that housing does deform too easily.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 AM

yeah. i recommend replacing the o-ring with a thicker style o-ring that covers more ground. fits in the housing much better and seems nearly immpossible for it to blow. Im prayin im right cause im sure getting sick of pulling my pump out. only time tell shall tell
Old 11-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Teching In

yeah. i recommend replacing the o-ring with a thicker style o-ring that covers more ground. fits in the housing much better and seems nearly immpossible for it to blow. Im prayin im right cause im sure getting sick of pulling my pump out. only time tell shall tell
i hear you on that. It's a PITA even with an access panel.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM

yeah, i havent been able to get on it today to see if its popped off yet cause its raining, so hopefully tommorrow we will see how she is holding up
Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Lol, easiest way to check is just start it. If it starts right up, it's not blown.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:12 PM

in that case its still good lol...you oughta try my fix man. cant make it any worse right?
lol...really just go to the parts store and get a real thick o-ring. like twice as thick as the stock one....also use the stock one but slide it over the little black spacer above where the o-ring goes....make sure to sqeeze the crap outa the fpr into the housing to make sure its in all the way..once its in good enought use the hose clamp, wrap it around the hole thing and tighten the crap out of it....im tellin ya man i have a good feeling about this one lol
Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Teching In

in that case its still good lol...you oughta try my fix man. cant make it any worse right?
lol...really just go to the parts store and get a real thick o-ring. like twice as thick as the stock one....also use the stock one but slide it over the little black spacer above where the o-ring goes....make sure to sqeeze the crap outa the fpr into the housing to make sure its in all the way..once its in good enought use the hose clamp, wrap it around the hole thing and tighten the crap out of it....im tellin ya man i have a good feeling about this one lol
haha, if it blows again yeah. So far almost 3 weeks and it hasn't blown. Just lit em up in 2nd gear so I'm pretty sure I still got fuel pressure.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Well, it blew again. Hows your upgraded one been holding up?