Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Any '98 owners find rust in their tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any '98 owners find rust in their tank?

I'm going to be doing my Racetronix install soon, but I'm still on the fence regarding the trap door vs. dropping the tank. I don't mind doing the trap door, but a part of me wants to remove the tank just to clean it out and check for rust. These cars are 12+ years old now, so it's a possibility rust is present. So I'm just wondering if anyone has actually found rust in their tanks, or is this not an issue?

BTW, I don't want this to turn into a trap door vs. tank drop thread, I'm just looking for an answer to my question.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you cut a trap door into the "trunk" after you puss the sending unit/ fuel pump bucket you can see in the tank as well as if you took it out. I would not expect to see rust in it or on it unless the car came from up north, or the car sat for a long time.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

I got a 98 also and did the trap door instead of droping the tank. As for rust my ride has 117k miles and did not see any rust at all through the trap door.

Last edited by DARK98Z; 11-12-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The only way a steel gas tank will rust inside is if it sits for an extended period at less than full. The gas separates and becomes corrosive

If the car was constantly driven youll have a spotless tank and shouldnt worry about it
Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

What if it sits for four months with a half tank in it? And in Minnesota we have 10% ethanol in our gas. I'm debating just replacing the tank with a plastic one at this point. Definitely worried that the tank will have some corrosion in it.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm worried just as much about just gunk and other crap along with the rust. I'm just wondering if the pain of taking out the tank and cleaning it is worth it.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't have any in mine when I installed the Racetronix kit. Car has 226,000 miles on it.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did not have rust in my tank, but my entire fuel pump module was rusted and crusted over. i had to replace the whole assembly.

i chose to drop the tank because i did not care to cut a hole in a perfectly fine car.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam86
What if it sits for four months with a half tank in it? And in Minnesota we have 10% ethanol in our gas. I'm debating just replacing the tank with a plastic one at this point. Definitely worried that the tank will have some corrosion in it.
sitting for a few months it will be fine. put a bottle of HEET in it to remove any possible moisture that might form. if i were you and it was going to sit, i would put a full tank of gas in the car. but thats just me.

now, if it sat, say for years, the gas will smell like varnish, and chances are you would have to place the pump, flush the tank, and obviously not reuse the gas.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Mine looks great with around 100k
Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Putting in a plastic tank will be big money and trouble, new tank, new fuel pump and assembly. You even have to repin your harness and have the PCM retuned. I wanted to clean the gunk out of my tank too. When I put my racetronix kit in I looked in the tank. Spotless. Then I remembered gas has detergent in it. Tank won't rust or gum...
Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I'll probably just do the trap door if I don't have to worry about cleaning out the tank. Plus, knowing me, the pump won't work when I install it so I'll probably need the trap door anyways.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Thanks guys. I'll probably just do the trap door if I don't have to worry about cleaning out the tank. Plus, knowing me, the pump won't work when I install it so I'll probably need the trap door anyways.
Not cleaning out your 12 y/o tank out before installing a new pump will greatly increase the odds that it will fail soon after installation.

A gas tank with a poor seal (gas caps, sender gaskets) will allow moisture to enter which will cause rust. It is always a good idea to top up your tank esp. when storing your car for extended periods of time. Damp weather/seasons/regions compound this problem.

Gas station holding tanks contain sediment which can be pumped into your tank. The worst time to fill your tank is right after the tanker has been there stirring up all the sediment at the bottom. After 12+ years much sediment can build up in your tank b/c of this.

Removing and cleaning your tank it is the technically responsible thing to do. The other option is to take your chances. Worst case is your new pump and filter sock will suck up much of the junk in your tank forcing you to spend another $150.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 11-14-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that looking inside does not allow you to see what lurks in the front lower corners. I empty, flush & air dry them before reinstalling them.

When you dump the tank into a white plastic bucket, it is surprising what you find.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

My car has sat for about 5 years now. Not sure how full it is but doubt theres much. Whats the propper way to clean and reuse the tank? I have a new racetronix pump setup and billet rails up front. What about the lines themselves?