Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E-85 Is It Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am strongly considering switching over to E85. Do any of you E-85 guys have an idea of how well it will perform compared to the Q16 I currently run? I have a 427 with 20lbs of boost. Would like to up the boost to ~23-24lbs. I run 93 octane on the street but would love to run the same fuel everywhere if it won't really slow the car down at the track.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by T-Bones Goat
I am strongly considering switching over to E85. Do any of you E-85 guys have an idea of how well it will perform compared to the Q16 I currently run? I have a 427 with 20lbs of boost. Would like to up the boost to ~23-24lbs. I run 93 octane on the street but would love to run the same fuel everywhere if it won't really slow the car down at the track.
From the searching I've done, besides price, q16 is a better fuel.

120+ octane vs 105 (with added benefit of cooling intake temps)
Probably filtered better and better octane consistancy as it comes from a race fuel company.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

so would i see any benefits in my "cam only" car making 414rwhp? if it would produce anykind of power close to let say 430-440 and clean the fuel system on top of that would be a benefit i think?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by T-Bones Goat
Hey Travis,

We where able to pick up 120 RWHP on Paul's car by removing the intercooler and running E85. The whole car seems to run much better. It did pick up 3psi by removing the intercooler but we would have expected a 60-80rwhp gain, not 120rwhp.

Quick fuel sells a simple E85 Tester for about $15. I'd recommend checking the ethanol percentage often as in this area it goes from E70 to E85.

Here is a simple E85 calculator I wrote to figure stoich point, fuel consumption needed, drop in charge temp, etc. E85 Spreadsheet
Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 AM
7 Second Club

Received 329 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
so would i see any benefits in my "cam only" car making 414rwhp? if it would produce anykind of power close to let say 430-440 and clean the fuel system on top of that would be a benefit i think?
Most N/A vehicles that ran fine on pump gas don't pick up much with E85, most I have seen average 10-15 rwhp and torque.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

I have a boosted car and I love it. C16 is over $12.00 gal where I am at. On the highway I burn about 15 to 18% more fuel and around 30% more under boost.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Most N/A vehicles that ran fine on pump gas don't pick up much with E85, most I have seen average 10-15 rwhp and torque.
so it might not hurt for a "track day" lets say? and can I run it with my factory fuel system? just change to a little more aggressive tune?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the nice thing about E85 in a NA car is the drastically decreased cooling demands, and very little effect of high IATs in the summer. You are able to run about 4* more timing everywhere and this really bumps up your tq curve. If you get good and creative and can get it to lean burn, I was actually using less fuel than stock at normal cruise. You can run up to around 16.8:1 AFR at part throttle. NA engines should be at a minimum of 11:1 when using it, with optimal being 13:1 or as much as 14:1. You can go higher but it does get a little more difficult, a NA car running 14:1 will get better fuel milage and make a easy 50 more hp than a 11:1 pump gas motor

And I have also used it in boosted cars for years, I run with no intercooler normally as well and I have found i can run just a hair more timing than on pump 91 with an intercooler. When tuning E85 with boost, I still stay around 11.7:1 AFR guage reading, and if you get any knock or it isnt picking up any more power you can just start dumping more fuel in and upping the boost. Almost everyone up north here runs E85, i cant beleive some people are against it myself
Old 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Pump E-70 to E-85 octane is 96-105.

Rockett Brand fuels sells a 112 octane E-85 but I don't know the price per gallon.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
7 Second Club

Received 329 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
so it might not hurt for a "track day" lets say? and can I run it with my factory fuel system? just change to a little more aggressive tune?
Sure and it definitely helps with keeping the tune well on the safe side with increased intake air temps during the summer, etc.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Could always run a truck program with a "411" service number computer, and a fuel composition sensor. The truck program allows you to add spark timing via alc. content and load.
Interested. How does this work? Can this be done on an fbody? Does this require an ecu swap?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Launching!

you could learn to distill your own lol

Chah Ching *
Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
Interested. How does this work? Can this be done on an fbody? Does this require an ecu swap?
I would also like to have someone that has done this post on it. I have been wanting to do this for a while. I think using a truck ecu with e85 sensor would be best setup as the e85 will vary in alcohol content.

What is all involved? Does a truck ecm connectors hook right into a f body one? Do you need a different ecm or simply a different program? What about doing it with a 3 bar map sensor for boost?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

here is a little article our tuner posted on another board about E85. Some of it may not apply to this conversation but It's very good information
-Secret Services Auto

Ok, I've had ALOT of experience with Ethanol so I figured I'd share.

First of all, everyone knows or should know that ethanol burns cooler. Stoich for ethanol is 9.0:1. So yes you are effectivley stuffing MORE energy potential into your chamber every revolution. Ethanol is also oxygenated, which means as it burns it creates its own oxygen which in turn allows more of itself to be burned. So if you run ethanol in your engine and don't make more power, your doing somthing wrong, Period... On top of that, ethanol has another property that helps make power. It has a high latent heat of evaporation. So as its injected into your port it is rapidly cooling the air charge, thus creating a lower pressure area, THUS pulling more air into the port/cylinder. You can actually see this happen on a MASS AIR car where you're measuring actual airflow and not manifold pressure. Thats why that turbo EVO in the preivously posted youtube vid made more power on the same boost. Even though it was at the same boost pressure, there was actually a greater amount of AIRMASS entering the cylinder = more power. And of course everyone knows with ethanol you can run optimal timing (MBT) without having issues with knock (too a point).

The other advantage is since your burning a larger quantity of fuel, you will expell a larger volume of exhaust gas therefore giving you much better spool characteristics on a turbo charged application. The flip side of this is you'll need to account for the extra exhaust volume when planning out your manifold, wastegate and turbo selection, cause you will have an increase in backpressure.

The difference between winter blend and sumer blend is marginal where fueling is concerned. As far as octane, theres almost no difference between E70 and E85. And actually E70 has better knock resistance than C16 and can do this while running leaner and making more power at a fraction of the cost, PLUS!! its not gonna kill your O2 sensor in a short time like the leaded race fuels will.

I've personally made 850HP on winter E85 (about 72% according to the flexfuel sensor on the ProEFI EMS), and will be doing a twin turbo mustang next month that we're shooting for 1500HP on E70-85 (Also on a ProEFI EMS with flexfuel).

If you wanna get really crazy with HP potential E98 has been said to produce better results than VP-Import which is like $25/gallon, and can be run in boosted setups with no intercooler.

The whole lack of fuel economy could easilly be countered to a great extent if the engines were originally designed to take advantage of ethanol. In stead they are designed to run on gasonline and are just fed ethanol so the manufactuers can get their evironmental merit badges.

If you built an engine specifically to take advantage of ethanol, you could use a smaller engine, and produce more power with less emmisions. PERIOD.

Yeah ethanol has its inherent issues with cold weather and with certain legacy materials, but realistically, its worth it if you consider all the benifits of the fuel. Most current fuel systems can tolerate ethanol, its really only the older ones that have issues. And cold starts are not really that big of a deal if the EMS is tuned to deal with it.

The thing with E15, the REAL issue is that the ECUs in those cars wern't designed to handle the amount of fuel trim required to keep E15 running at stoich, so they end up running lean and burning up CATs. So the facts are the facts but they kind of used them out of context. But again some of the legacy materials arn't compatible and will deteriorate over time.

I'm not an expert in marine application, but I could see where an alcohol based fuel would have issues in an environment where there is ALOT of moisture. In this case I think all that would need to happen is a better design of the fuel system to help prevent moisture absorbsion. I don't think it would be that hard to do if they really wanted to make it happen.

And those of you worried about using up all the corn.. Well first of all we shouldn't be feeding corn to the cows, do some research, thats why we keep having ecoli outbreaks cause cows arn't built to eat corn, the are built to eat grass and eating corn prevents them from producing the nessisary enzymes to combat ecoli er ebola whatever its called.

Anyways, heres another, perfectly viable way to make Ethanol. Its pricey now, but in time it'll be the prefered method I believe.

http://www.microfueler.com/

I hope this clears up some stuff. I'll check back so if there are any specific questions I'll try to anser them as best as possible.

Just a few notes I forgot to mention. The original engines built back in the day were designed to run on ethanol, the idea was for every person to be able to make their own fuel. Well guess what happened, around the time big oil started to grow somthing called prohabition happened, forbidding anyone to make their own fuel.. Kinda a convenient coinsidense huh? you think they were really concerned about ppl getting drunk? I don't.. I think it was the first step in govmnt and big oil taking control of everything.. If they prevented ppl from making their own fuel then they could sell more gasoline.

Also bossman was right about the oil.. The russians discovered a while back that oil empty oil wells were replenishing themselves with new oil. You think that the earth produced oil unground for X amount of years and all of a sudden it just stopped?? I used to do work for alot of oil/energy companies and there is TONS of oil out there and they know it, thats why they arn't trying very hard to get off of it.

How about this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGg0A...x=6&playnext=2
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alvin@Tick
Hey Travis,

We where able to pick up 120 RWHP on Paul's car by removing the intercooler and running E85. The whole car seems to run much better. It did pick up 3psi by removing the intercooler but we would have expected a 60-80rwhp gain, not 120rwhp.

Quick fuel sells a simple E85 Tester for about $15. I'd recommend checking the ethanol percentage often as in this area it goes from E70 to E85.

Here is a simple E85 calculator I wrote to figure stoich point, fuel consumption needed, drop in charge temp, etc. E85 Spreadsheet
Thanks Alvin. Those are great results. I am really getting excited about switching. I just need a motor to pump some into.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

DopeFedLSX,

Salt water fuel, very interesting!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grr
the nice thing about E85 in a NA car is the drastically decreased cooling demands, and very little effect of high IATs in the summer. You are able to run about 4* more timing everywhere and this really bumps up your tq curve. If you get good and creative and can get it to lean burn, I was actually using less fuel than stock at normal cruise. You can run up to around 16.8:1 AFR at part throttle. NA engines should be at a minimum of 11:1 when using it, with optimal being 13:1 or as much as 14:1. You can go higher but it does get a little more difficult, a NA car running 14:1 will get better fuel milage and make a easy 50 more hp than a 11:1 pump gas motor

Can you clarify how you are getting these afr numbers? Are you using a gasoline scale (14.7 stoich: 1.0 lambda) but talking about ethanol?

14.7 on gasoline wideband = 9.85:1 ethanol e85?

so 16.8:1 / 14.7 = 1.14 lamda * 9.85 = 11.26:1 afr e85?

Thanks
-Mike

Quick Reply: E-85 Is It Worth It?