Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E-85 Is It Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-85 Is It Worth It?

I am thinking about switching to E-85. But I am wondering if it is worth it? And will I see a HP/TQ increase at all just buy switching over. If any of you guys have switched, tell me what ya think. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

i think it's worth it, but my alternative is race gas at 12 bucks a gallon. for a driver I don't see the point really.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Once you consume everything about what you gain (and lose) i would consider it to be "worth it", so long as it's readily available. In my case, i would have to drive 12 miles across town for the only pump that i know of that has e85 around here... so i haven't even started looking into it any further.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish my nearest pump was not 24mi away... we need more of these stations.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Ive got one right up the road from my house. Ill be running it, cheaper than 93 by $0.52 a gal. The key is tuning for it to get that extra power out of it.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fear is that E-85 will be going the way of HDDVDs or beta tapes.
Overall, it costs more to run, which is fine if it means more power and doesn't leave me smelling like I've been crapped out by a t-rex. But if the nearest station (20 miles away) gets rid of it, then what?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Im going forced induction with my build so I believe i will see more of the benefits than somebody naturally aspirated would. Also if i was out somewhere and i couldn't get a hold of e85 I have my owner tuning software and would simply reflash to a tune setup for 93 octane while I sit at the pump pumping gas.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could always run a truck program with a "411" service number computer, and a fuel composition sensor. The truck program allows you to add spark timing via alc. content and load.

I run E85 and I am 15mi from the nearest station. I just fill up 2 cans while I am there. I switch back to 93 in the winter though.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

I wish I had a fill place close within 15 miles of my place in FL.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Could always run a truck program with a "411" service number computer, and a fuel composition sensor. The truck program allows you to add spark timing via alc. content and load.

I run E85 and I am 15mi from the nearest station. I just fill up 2 cans while I am there. I switch back to 93 in the winter though.

More info on this. Can it be done 3bar in a 03 Z06?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Teching In

thing with alcohol is....it's 1/2 the burn temp that gas is. so you need twice as much as gas to make the same power.

so unless it's 50% the cost of gasoline....i'd say it's not worth it.

plus, running new fuel lines, all new o-rings for injectors and seals for all fuel connections. special fuel pump, tank seal, ecu programming....special sensors that are over 600 from the factory....not worth it.

personally, if it's not diesel, it's gas...if it's not gas, it's propane. end of story. the only fuels worth investing in are gas, diesel, propane. all others fall short. only reason propane is in there is because 4-wheelin you can go over the 75* mark and still get fuel to the engine via gas pressure and not liquid pressure.

only reason to run alcohol is for serious boost because it will not detonate....at all....even under extreme boost amounts. but then again, you'll burn twice as much fuel as gasoline to make the same power.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get 24 MPG out of my car on the highway. I have no complaints, it was well the switch.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

i get about 7 mpg, so i figure about 50 cents a mile for me to drive it. Not bad in my book.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by severous01
thing with alcohol is....it's 1/2 the burn temp that gas is. so you need twice as much as gas to make the same power.

plus, running new fuel lines, all new o-rings for injectors and seals for all fuel connections. special fuel pump, tank seal, ecu programming....special sensors that are over 600 from the factory....not worth it.

personally, if it's not diesel, it's gas...if it's not gas, it's propane. end of story. the only fuels worth investing in are gas, diesel, propane. all others fall short. only reason propane is in there is because 4-wheelin you can go over the 75* mark and still get fuel to the engine via gas pressure and not liquid pressure.

only reason to run alcohol is for serious boost because it will not detonate....at all....even under extreme boost amounts. but then again, you'll burn twice as much fuel as gasoline to make the same power.
during cruise, i only burn about 25% more fuel, during wot, closer to 35% +/-

E85 is great fuel, ive been running it for awhile, on stock fuel line. same walbro pumps that everyone else runs, etc. the Ethanol is not as corrosive as Methanol.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is VERY false information! Ethanol, especially blended ethanol as in E85, is not very corrosive, it is METHANOL that is the very corrosive alcohol fuel. I have had E85 in my TA for almost 3 years now, Walbro pump. When I did an engine swap this summer, fuel filter after over a year looked fine, rubber and plastic fuel in the fuel line was fine, fuel tank and lines were very clean, the old injectors and o-rings were fine as well.

Yes it burns cooler, but this can be a benefit, especially for high compression and boosted cars. The fuel you need, as JAX04 said is about 20% more for cruising (for my car), and about 30% more for WOT. I get about 15 mpg combined city/highway with my car on E85. I haven't dynoed yet, but I have heard that it is about a 4-5% power gain for N/A cars, and MUCH larger on boosted cars as they can up the boost and timing beyond what is possible with gas and make a LOT more power. Plus E85 keeps your fuel system clean, which is always good.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

When I build a FI car or truck I'll use E-85.

How can Ya beat 105 octane for $.25-.60 less than a gallon of 87?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Do some more research before posting false information.. There is more false and speculative information then there is "real" info about it.. The false rumors just surface more frequently from the drones, who do not run it and have no credibility or experience behind their worthless banter.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

three years no problem in my 2000 firebird also run it half E85 and half 87unleaded in my 96 dodge truck and didnt change a thing in the fuel system.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much does a gallon of 116 cost in your neck of the woods? Take that number and find out how much it costs to fill your tank in your fbody. Then figure out how much it costs to fill up your tank on e85 at 2.2x a gallon. You tell me if it's worth it or not if your making big power and it's a street car
Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 PM
9 Second Club

It averages about 5% more power/tq over c12 race gas and very close with c16. I have 15:1 compression. Have seen dozens of other motors on dyno with anywhere from 9-15:1 all with same type results.

Quick Reply: E-85 Is It Worth It?