Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

I'm unable to pump gas in my gastank!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running a breather on it now, separate from the EVAP system, so it can breathe... I Tried to pump more gas this weekend.. It was kind of doing the same thing, I took the breather off and it accepted the gas much easier.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Im running a breather on it now, separate from the EVAP system, so it can breathe... I Tried to pump more gas this weekend.. It was kind of doing the same thing, I took the breather off and it accepted the gas much easier.
I may be missing something here, correct me if I have...

You've identified the problem, now you should fix it properly by addressing the EVAP system. You know this, but fuel is very volatile and the vapor is flammable. A breather will allow fumes to escape the tank when it is under pressure, both during normal operation and more so when the volume of the tank is being displaced with liquid fuel when you fill it up.

Ever heard of the myth busters where they attempt to blow up a car by shooting the gas tank? They don't unless there is the appropriate ratio of oxygen, fuel and air. Because the fuel tank is sealed, you never have the right conditions to ignite your fuel tank (fuel, air and spark.) However, with a breather on your fuel system, you have allowed air to become available to the fuel vapor in your tank. You don't smoke, do you?

I wouldn't drive like that if I were you, address your EVAP system and stay safe!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Your charcoal canister on your evap system is junk. The charcoal is now in your vacuum lines going to it and your purge. you need to replace the canister and clean all lines with air pressure and ur problem will be fixed! if u pull the cannister it will sound like a baby rattle im sure. Just fixed a car at our shop with same problem last week
Old 02-25-2011, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the input.

No I do not smoke..

When the time/$ comes to fix the problem. Cant I just eliminate the charcoal canister system?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ There's tons of people that delete the EVAP system and just put a breather on it. Search around here and you'll find pictures. You'll also drop a couple pounds off of the car.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

i believe you all drive pos cars... but mine did that in my CTSV... so i totaled it
Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

Like someone said before, it is the EVAP system. This problem is common on the 03-06 trucks too.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Evap system was clogged.. I have a slit cut for the fuel pump, So I just peeled it back and took one of the hoses off that goes to the charcoal cannister. and it was able to breathe.. I went to fill gas, and it worked!

So, I am going to leave the hose disconnected and just run a breather on it.

at least this as a temporary solution..
Hey man im glad you found the problem, Im having the same problem, and im not that savy with cars can you please just tell me where these hoses are located so I can take a look ??

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

bumppp.... just got this problem last night as well
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by emenny81
Hey man im glad you found the problem, Im having the same problem, and im not that savy with cars can you please just tell me where these hoses are located so I can take a look ??

Thanks.

The charcoal canister is behind the rear seat, under the body, above the gas tank... Either you must cut the body to get to it or spend hours dropping the gas tank...
Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Isnt it in the drivers side rear wheel well or did they move it for LS1 cars?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Staging Lane

Oh brother..........this just happened to us yesterday.
So, my question is now, is this something that my husband can fix, or does the car need to go to a shop?

Last edited by HerHawk; 05-11-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Same issue.. 2002 LS1 Camaro..try to fill with gas and as soon as the filler hose fills gas spews out, no gas gets into the tank. This is what I found, removed the gas filler tube & about 3-4" inside the gas tank where the rubber fuel hose goes on there is a non return valve (maybe its an anti siphon thing or roll over protection vale..not sure) any way gently pushing a screw driver into the fuel tank the valve was slightly stuck, pushed a few time and felt free so put the hose back on and poured fuel in out of a 1-gal container with no issues. Now of to the gas station try to fill and same problem gas just spews out. Back home removed hose this time I managed to jam a thin piece of high tensile wire in between the edge of the valve and tank filler tube this way the valve can't close, I did make a loop on the opposite end of the wire so it won't fall into the tank. Now it fills every time with out any issues and I haven't noticed any problems with the valve jammed open.

Quick Reply: I'm unable to pump gas in my gastank!