Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Magnafuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnafuel problems

Looking for a few opinions on whats going on with my 4301. My current set up has it pulling up out of the truck tank, pre filter, then the pump then post filtered. It has a -10 feed and a -6 return.

Now ive had 3 separate occasions where the truck would lose ALL pressure, and wouldnt get anyback, until it sat around 30 mins. Two of them were after continuous 1 hour driving, another was on a day were it was around 112* outside. After it loses pressure, if you try to flip the key to reprime it, it eventually locks down the pump. Im thinking its overheating, and I probably need to add a fuel cooler, possibly a bigger/ another return.

TIA for any help.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
Looking for a few opinions on whats going on with my 4301. My current set up has it pulling up out of the truck tank, pre filter, then the pump then post filtered. It has a -10 feed and a -6 return.

Now ive had 3 separate occasions where the truck would lose ALL pressure, and wouldnt get anyback, until it sat around 30 mins. Two of them were after continuous 1 hour driving, another was on a day were it was around 112* outside. After it loses pressure, if you try to flip the key to reprime it, it eventually locks down the pump. Im thinking its overheating, and I probably need to add a fuel cooler, possibly a bigger/ another return.

TIA for any help.
Are u trying to suck out of the top of the tank? If so, that i a big NO NO, external pumps need to be gravity fed.. I have countless Boat guy's that are always wondering why they are having pump issues and some continuously burning them up..

Also, are u running a dual relay setup? U need to be, along with a minimum of 10 gauge wire to the altenator..
Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes it definitely needs to be sumped or aleast bulkheaded with that pump. voltage is also a fuel pump killer as well if it is not getting what it needs.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ what they said.

And also, you need to be sure your tank or cell is adequately vented. A single #8 vent would be the minimum I'd use; 2 #8's would be preferable.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm, I was "told" by a guy that spoke to magnafuel it was ok to pull it out of the tank from the top. Sounds like yall think that is my problem. Also sounds likej I might be moving to a fuel cell, aka pulling from the bottom sooner than I expected. It uses the factory evap crap.

Yes, it pulls probably around 14inches vertical, then 2 foot thru a prefilter before its at the pump. It make pressure just fine, that rises with boost and everything as expected just fine.

It does have a hot wire kit with IIRC 10 gauge. I am only running a single relay at this point, although I havent had any trouble with it, I may change that as well.

The truck is fixing to be put down for a chassis swap lol, so I'd like to address these issues when that happens in a week or so.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Tank vent open??
Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Just to cover everything i would go ahead and put a second relay on it just to be safe, even talking to Nasty Nate he recommended this as well.. The problem with hearing third party information is third party information! Take what we say with a grain of salt but i have been doing this for a long time and have had nothing but countless problem with the way u have it setup on some of my customer's vehicles... As far as a return, i would have atleast a -8 return.. I am running -10 feed and return on mine.. Nasty Nate fuel cell with the Magnafuel MP-4303 Pro Tuner 750 submerged in the tank
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

You very well may be experiencing what I have. My car drives like a champ when it is cool out. after a while of idleing or driving around town the return line is heating up the fuel due to two pumps running continueoulsy and I am getting pressure drop and experiencing what you are saying. Your best option is to spend 50-100$ on a fuel cooler and place it inline somewhere between your regulator and the return fitting to the tank. I am looking at getting one now.

My buddy with his 767hp vette and aeromotive 1000 is having same issues
Old 07-22-2011, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArklaTexan

My buddy with his 767hp vette and aeromotive 1000 is having same issues
Problem in bold Red, A1000 is not a continuous duty street pump... U must have there speed pump controller for street use, plus have had countless people burning up the A1000, but that goes with alot of pumps.... And his problem is more than likely 100% do to sucking out of the top of the tank and having a 10 feed with 6 return isnt very promising either, on top of magnafuel recommending the use of a dual relay setup on these pumps!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

He does have the controller never said he doesnt
Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

So add another relay, I suppose yall are just Y'ing the main power feed between them?

Sump it, or get fuel from the bottom. Maybe add a bigger or another -6 return. And run with it.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a -10 return line for street use per-say Nasty Nate.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArklaTexan
He does have the controller never said he doesnt
I said problem in red, not problem in red plus controller.. Alot of people generally dont use the controller.. Just stating that it helps. But at the end of the day it's still a A1000...
Old 07-23-2011, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
So add another relay, I suppose yall are just Y'ing the main power feed between them?

Sump it, or get fuel from the bottom. Maybe add a bigger or another -6 return. And run with it.
Yes u can just jumper the main power from ur existing relay over to the new relay.. It def wont hurt anything to do this and can only help..

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Get a -10 return line for street use per-say Nasty Nate.
+1 on this no doubt..
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll need the big return line as already mentioned. You are boiling the fuel and vapor locking the pump.

I'd bet just about anything that the pump is already damaged. Take it off and send it back. They turn them around real fast.

Quick Reply: Magnafuel problems