Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Worried fuel tank might ignite

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Worried fuel tank might ignite

Now that I have your attention.

I have a 95 Firehawk that had an external fuel pump on it. I took the pump off and sold it. While installing the aftermarket fuel pump, I had to cut the black plastic disconnect off the rear of the fuel filter. Now I need to put that disconnect back in the fuel line.

The disconnect and the line are the same diameter. I presume they heat the line and stick the fitting in there when they make the lines. If I put a heat gun on the hose, will it likely ignite fuel vapors in the line? The car hasn't run in months and there is about .5 tank of gas.

TIA
Old 04-08-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

30 views and not a single suggestion?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different situation, but I recently welded a sump onto my steel tank. It had to be completely emptied, and I washed it out with soap and water before even drilling the holes for the sump.

If it were me I would empty the fuel out of the tank, and rinse the tank out just to be safe.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When Reckless helped me splice in my fpr we had to splice those hard plastic fuel lines. We got a brass coupler that was no way going to push in the tubes, so we heated the coupler (away from the tank) then picked it up with pliars and inserted it in tube, which formed around the hot coupler.

As far a welding on tanks, fumes, not the gas is the big issue. old school method is to empty tank then completely fill with water to displace fumes.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tech
Now that I have your attention.

I have a 95 Firehawk that had an external fuel pump on it. I took the pump off and sold it. While installing the aftermarket fuel pump, I had to cut the black plastic disconnect off the rear of the fuel filter. Now I need to put that disconnect back in the fuel line.

The disconnect and the line are the same diameter. I presume they heat the line and stick the fitting in there when they make the lines. If I put a heat gun on the hose, will it likely ignite fuel vapors in the line? The car hasn't run in months and there is about .5 tank of gas.

TIA
NAPA makes repair kits for the hard plastic lines
Old 04-08-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I'll try NAPA.

If I go through the trouble of removing the tank to wash it out, I could just disconnect the line. Thanks guys.

Anybody have any ideas? The factory fitting is plastic so I can't heat it up.

What about using vise grips (and rag) to crimp off the line? Would it destroy it?