Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Bosch 044 fuel pump - what's max HP w/check valve and banjo fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bosch 044 fuel pump - what's max HP w/check valve and banjo fitting?

I just installed a Bosch 044 fuel pump. (It was nice a quiet for about 10 minutes and then it got loud and buzzy - not bad, just loud!) How much FI HP can I get out of it with the factory check valve and a banjo to -06AN fitting on the pressure side? I know that's not the most efficient setup, but how much will it hold me back? I really don't want to spring for a new high-flow check valve if I don't have to.

I need the pump & fuel system to feed a Cadillac CTS-V TVS1900 on a 5.7L engine. I will probably use a slightly smaller snout pulley to overdrive the compressor.

The Bosch 044 is mounted about a 1-2 inches above the bottom of the tank - that is the closest I could get it to the bottom, and it's a tall tank, so I think that will be fine. It is an external inline pump. The inlet side of the 044 is all 1/2" w/100 micron stainless steel fuel filter. The pressure size is 3/8".

Anyway, will the factory check valve and banjo fitting be okay, or will I need to move up to a high flow check valve and a straight AN outlet fitting?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Anybody? Trying to figure out if I can keep the banjo fitting or if I have to ditch it for a 90* AN hose fitting + a high-flow one-way check valve.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would certainly try to avoid a banjo for anything high flow. The 90* isn't so bad. How big is the check valve?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

The check valve is pretty small - maybe a little over 1/2" wide. I think I am going to get rid of the check valve and the banjo setup and go with the 90* fitting. It is nicely contoured, and should flow a lot better. The only reason I was thinking the check valve and banjo might be okay is because the Bosch 044 ships with that setup on the pump.

I don't think I'm going to run a check valve at all. I understand you might need to wait a couple seconds for the system to prime, but that is fine. If it's a problem I can always install one later.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I just installed a Bosch 044 fuel pump. (It was nice a quiet for about 10 minutes and then it got loud and buzzy - not bad, just loud!) How much FI HP can I get out of it with the factory check valve and a banjo to -06AN fitting on the pressure side? I know that's not the most efficient setup, but how much will it hold me back? I really don't want to spring for a new high-flow check valve if I don't have to.

I need the pump & fuel system to feed a Cadillac CTS-V TVS1900 on a 5.7L engine. I will probably use a slightly smaller snout pulley to overdrive the compressor.

The Bosch 044 is mounted about a 1-2 inches above the bottom of the tank - that is the closest I could get it to the bottom, and it's a tall tank, so I think that will be fine. It is an external inline pump. The inlet side of the 044 is all 1/2" w/100 micron stainless steel fuel filter. The pressure size is 3/8".

Anyway, will the factory check valve and banjo fitting be okay, or will I need to move up to a high flow check valve and a straight AN outlet fitting?
044 can be used internally or externally.

All such pumps should be gravity fed or pumped to, ie. Always below the level of fuel in the tank. So as long as you maintain that, you would be fine. I'd prefer larger than 1/2" supplying the 044, but it would be fine I'm sure, especially if the line is short.

I personally would not, and no not run any check valves on mine. And I also drilled out the outlet slightly as the hole is quite small. ( -8 fitting wont screw in between the terminals, so needed to retain the first steel section. -6 fitting will fit between the terminals can could screw directly into the pump. )
Hole in the outlet of the steel section is only about 6-6.5mm. I enlarged mine to 7.0mm. It isnt a big increase, but still some 16% increase in CSA.
Dont think I could go much bigger though.

Not sure what size hole would be in the -6 fitting

Noise wise, the pump sound should be a steady smooth buzzing. If you're hearing anything other than this, the inlet could be restricted causing cavitation.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
044 can be used internally or externally.

All such pumps should be gravity fed or pumped to, ie. Always below the level of fuel in the tank. So as long as you maintain that, you would be fine. I'd prefer larger than 1/2" supplying the 044, but it would be fine I'm sure, especially if the line is short.

I personally would not, and no not run any check valves on mine. And I also drilled out the outlet slightly as the hole is quite small. ( -8 fitting wont screw in between the terminals, so needed to retain the first steel section. -6 fitting will fit between the terminals can could screw directly into the pump. )
Hole in the outlet of the steel section is only about 6-6.5mm. I enlarged mine to 7.0mm. It isnt a big increase, but still some 16% increase in CSA.
Dont think I could go much bigger though.

Not sure what size hole would be in the -6 fitting

Noise wise, the pump sound should be a steady smooth buzzing. If you're hearing anything other than this, the inlet could be restricted causing cavitation.
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to forgo the check valve and just use metric to AN adapter and the 90-degree AN fitting.

It's funny that you mention widening the outlet fitting. My metric-to-AN outlet adapter looks unusually small. It is .24" in diameter, and I plan on drilling it out to about .28" to match the -6AN fitting. This will yield about a 37% increase in flow area. Why do they make these things so narrow... even in steel!?

Another thing that bothered me was on the inlet side. My M18 to AN fitting has really deep threads on the M18 side that goes into the pump inlet. I feel like it is going in way too far, getting way too close to that flat surface inside the pump, and restricting flow. I think I am going to take it out and cut it down about 1/8" so that the end of the M18 fitting isn't so far inside the pump.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Obviously the small hole is still capable of flowing, enlarging it would just give the pump a bit of an easier time, and it may release some more flow.

You cant drill to big though, as the M12 threads are still the limiting factor. Go too big and you risk weakening the fitting.

I agree that some fittings do screw in quite far. I re-worked my setup just recently, and used a dowty seal between fitting and pump which took up some of that distance. Previously I did shorten the M18 thread though.
Some M18 fittings also have a very small hole in them too.

Quick Reply: Bosch 044 fuel pump - what's max HP w/check valve and banjo fitting?