Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

When is it time for a fuel injection cleaner? Best product?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When is it time for a fuel injection cleaner? Best product?

Ill be doing a lot of maintenance to the car and was wondering when is it time to clean the fuel injection system? What is the best product to use? I just replaced my fuel filter about 5k miles ago. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the real techron (not the techron based chevron brand) seems to have worked best for me for years.

I'm guessing an aggressive octane booster might rid some crud too.

1. throw in some heat or something to get rid of water in tank (cant hurt)
2. replace fuel filter after tank gone
3. run Real techron or other exotic (your $$) every month or so

there's a good bit of detergents in gas today, so thats kinda hardcore, ultimately you might be beating a dead horse if the injectors are real older, it may just be smarter to replace the injectors if you have a 4-5 year old car. All the money spent on injector cleaning versus putting some decent new ones..

your choice. nothing will bring old ones back to new life, hell i ran my vw injectors 3 times through an injector cleaner at a shop (free), then flow tested them, all within 2% after 14 years later. Was too lazy to put them in so i put in some svt injectors 42# and gave the old ones to a friend. Two of the cleaned injectors failed within a couple of months. My 5000K pull svt injectors are rocking out.

not ls1, but i'm telling you bout experience, sometimes all that crap you put in for cleaning adds up to the point where it makes more sense to put new or semi new ones in and upgrade (if you have edit/hptuners). All these SVT folks are going from 42# to 50# or bigger so i see the ford shops selling them slightly used with low miles for like $200 for a set of 8. of course you dont need 42# probably so you might find someone like a mechanic or friend at a shop that does buildouts that yanks new injectors out (2002?) and has them for the low low.

anyhoo rant over.

techron "The real deal" is great and theres one more i forgot its pink, very expensive, they make alot of other products usually in white small plastic bottles at the auto store. damn i forget the name that stuff works good as an additive
Old 05-23-2004, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Red Line fuel system cleaner.Nothing like it that I've experienced.