Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump setup for ATL cell

Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel pump setup for ATL cell

I'm going to be installing an ATL fuel cell in my car (removed the OE gas tank). The cell is model SP115, and has dual pickups, one in each rear corner. My intent was to run a line from each pickup to a y-block, then to a single pump. However, ATL notes that you should NOT do that, and that you have to run a dual pump setup. Anyone have input on plumbing for an ATL cell, or any other cell for that matter? If I need to run dual pumps, what pumps do you suggest to feed a mostly street bound NA 408?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, you need to run dual pumps for dual pick ups. Otherwise, when one pickup is uncovered, you'll just suck air and nothing else.

Sounds like you don't really need much for a fuel pump. That engine probably doesn't need more than a 255lph pump; you just need two of them. If you plan on running alcohol, you might want to run a 300lph for some overkill and extra insurance.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

That's what I was thinking originally. I emailed ATL to ask them and the reply was that IF I needed to use both pickups then I needed to run a pump for each, with a Y between the pumps and the rail. However, I could use only one pickup depending on application. Hook up the single pump to the pickup of choice, and they provide a hard cap to cover the AN fitting coming off the other pickup.

I also have an email out to Harmon as well so I'm interested in what they have to say about their cells for my particular setup/needs.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Exactly which cell...and realistically what are the chances of the pickup ever seeing air ?

How much pump/flow do you need ?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

The ATL cell is the SP115, Sportsman 15 gallon. Realistically the chance a pickup ever sees air with my application is slim to none. I don't have exact flow/pump requirements in mind, I'm still researching. I'm going to be running 42lb injectors, NA, and expect 525-550 hp at the crank.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club

Then a single 044 from either pickup would be perfectly fine.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Matt330LS
The ATL cell is the SP115, Sportsman 15 gallon. Realistically the chance a pickup ever sees air with my application is slim to none. I don't have exact flow/pump requirements in mind, I'm still researching. I'm going to be running 42lb injectors, NA, and expect 525-550 hp at the crank.
Then you really don't need the expense and complication of dual pick ups. Keep it simple, and use a quality 255lph pump. Go a little bigger if you're going to be using alcohol. If you're using an external pump, be sure to use a controller to preserve the pump.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by .boB
Then you really don't need the expense and complication of dual pick ups. Keep it simple, and use a quality 255lph pump. Go a little bigger if you're going to be using alcohol. If you're using an external pump, be sure to use a controller to preserve the pump.
The cells from ATL come with dual pickups already, that's why I was wondering. But like they said, use one pickup, cap off the other, and plumb a single pump of choice. Do you have a recommendation for an external pump with controller that'll live comfortably on a mostly street car?
Old 08-13-2017, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

You havent mentioned alcohol ?

A single 044 will easily meet your power goals on pump fuel, and absolutely no need for any silly controllers at such a low level.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Most of the high volume external EFI pumps on the market (like Aeromotive) are designed for racing. They tend to flow a lot of fuel. You don't really need a controller. But the pump will last a lot longer if you have one. The controller essentially turns the pump down during part throttle operation, which would be most of the time on a street car. But the cranks it up to full speed when you whack the throttle. A really fancy/expensive controller will match pumps speed to engine rpm or throttle opening.

I think it was Holley (maybe not) that had a built in controller. I don't know of anyone that was using it, so I don't know if it worked out well or not. But it was a pretty slick idea, anyway.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by .boB
Most of the high volume external EFI pumps on the market (like Aeromotive) are designed for racing. They tend to flow a lot of fuel. You don't really need a controller. But the pump will last a lot longer if you have one. The controller essentially turns the pump down during part throttle operation, which would be most of the time on a street car. But the cranks it up to full speed when you whack the throttle. A really fancy/expensive controller will match pumps speed to engine rpm or throttle opening.

I think it was Holley (maybe not) that had a built in controller. I don't know of anyone that was using it, so I don't know if it worked out well or not. But it was a pretty slick idea, anyway.
He only wants to make less than 550hp, not 1550.

An 044 would happily run 24/7 almost forever. How much longer do you need ?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
You havent mentioned alcohol ?

A single 044 will easily meet your power goals on pump fuel, and absolutely no need for any silly controllers at such a low level.
No alcohol, straight pump gas for this one.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:39 AM
9 Second Club

Keep it simple

Tank, 100/40 micron Filter, 044, />10 Micron filter, engine.

Job done and it'll outlast the engine and n/a could take you to 650+ maybe 700hp

044 for the most part if just n/a so relatively low pressure will only pull around 11-12A so nothing huge in terms of wiring but always use suitable wire. fuses, relays etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pump setup for ATL cell