Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fbody fuel system questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
If you set pressure when they both are running, run them all the time, and maintain and adequate amount of fuel in the tank to keep them submerged I dont see how it would be an issue.
Ditto
Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
Correct if you were doing a fuel system, but why spend the extra 600 or more on lines when a pump is sufficent. Go 600 bucks elsewhere.
You gotta pay to play, going fast costs money. No sense in penny pinching once it's done it's done and you've got grow room cause once you go past your original plans, which always happens, you'll be glad the lines see done and ready to take on 1100+ hp. And if you own a lowered fbody like myself you already hate getting under the damn thing. Just my 2 cents tho. $600 is just some walking around money in the horsepower game
Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Personally I've had only 1 hobbs switch malfunction reported out of over 2000+ kits sold.

I've seen way more pump problems related to overheating (due to either high pressure operation or fuel temperature) than anything. I get a significant number of calls stating "my car acts up after xx minutes of driving, can you help me fix this?"

The biggest problem is with the second pump coming on & overloading the fuel system causing a pressure spike. This is a result of the second pump coming on too early in relation to demand vs. the fuel system return capacity. With an aftermarket fuel system it is much less of a problem, but still possible.
Speaking of Hobbs switches what switch would you recommend for a 3rd gen Z making 1000 hp?? Thanks
Old 09-15-2017, 09:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Personally ive seen them have issues in a larger margin than that. So much so, id rather use a diff route. To each their own in that regard.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Personally ive seen them have issues in a larger margin than that. So much so, id rather use a diff route. To each their own in that regard.
With a Hobbs switch?? I'm using a doninator ecu that can actually trigger a second pump I just have no idea how I'd wire it up using the racetronix setup. Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
You gotta pay to play, going fast costs money. No sense in penny pinching once it's done it's done and you've got grow room cause once you go past your original plans, which always happens, you'll be glad the lines see done and ready to take on 1100+ hp. And if you own a lowered fbody like myself you already hate getting under the damn thing. Just my 2 cents tho. $600 is just some walking around money in the horsepower game
True. I did that with my rear. But you gotta be reasonable about it. Pick and choose what areas you wanna overbuild. If you overbuild the whole car, you mine as well go buy a used zr1 cause thats close to the amount you will spend. I overbuilt my rear, because it makes sense to turn a 4000 investment into 5500 investment due to 5500 being cheaper than 2 4000s if i somehow messed up the first. Since an m6 car is tough on the driveline, i knew i needed to be certain i made 1 rear purchase. Same thing with my fuel pumps i got. Dont need them now but ill spend 300 more now to get my fuel system to support 750ish. I know im at 400 now, and realistically chances of making 650 or 700 for me personally is a 40% yes or less. Chances of me making 1000 are 1%. So im not goona significantly increase my build costs by building it to handle near 4 digit numbers just in case ill ever get there. But, if all car enthusiasts thought of the ultimate end goal, we wouldnt have much of a parts classifides section due to people buying one motor, or 1 turbo, or 1 rear and sticking with it instead of changing there minds and spending "good money twice" as many say.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Basically we need to all be realistic on our goals, or at least try. easier said than done i know. Damn speed.

Quick Reply: Fbody fuel system questions