Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Ws6Store/RPMSpeed c5 filter/regulator upgrade for 98-02 fbodys

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

Kind of an old thread, so I apologize to bring it back from the dead but I'm sure WS6store may appreciate the bump.

Some of the customers posting here mentioned 80psi at the rails vs 60psi that they're "supposed" to have. My questions is:

What is the downside of having more pressure at the rails? What's "wrong" with 20 more psi at the rails? This is a genuine question. I just figured more pressure = better? (to a reasonable extent obviously)

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-17-2019, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Too high a pressure results in over-fueling. AFR's go pig-rich.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Too high a pressure results in over-fueling. AFR's go pig-rich.
Thanks for your response. But, I thought that would be controlled by the fuel injector itself?

I didn't realize that actual pressure at the rail affected the amount of fuel the injector would push. I thought that as long as there was "enough" fuel for the injector, whether that was 20 or 100psi, that it would still only inject the amount of fuel necessary.

Learn something new every day...

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To follow up to his question.. what's the best way to work around that high fuel pressure problem. Can it be tuned around? I did kind of notice my fuel pressure drops to around 55-60psi after running for a while though. But the engine runs rich just about all the time except at idle after warmed up.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Think of the injector like a water hose with nozzle; what's gonna move more water, 25psi line pressure or 50psi? Injectors don't control anything. THEY are controlled by ECU, which thinks there is a certain fuel pressure. If that changes, fuel delivery is affected.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Think of the injector like a water hose with nozzle; what's gonna move more water, 25psi line pressure or 50psi? Injectors don't control anything. THEY are controlled by ECU, which thinks there is a certain fuel pressure. If that changes, fuel delivery is affected.
Was that in response to my question? I know the injectors are controlled by the ecu, I was wondering if a tune can compensate for the extra pressure/fuel so the mixture if not rich. Like maybe command the injectors to open less frequently or something.

I have the basic slight intake mods, which is just a lid and opened up intake path under the filter. My fuel trims are just about perfect at idle but go rich to about 9% on throttle. I don't know if it's the intake mods introducing more fuel than the ecu can compensate for or the injectors putting out to much fuel to match the extra air the ecu MIGHT be seeing, or just the injectors putting out to much fuel because of the pump. That's why I was wondering if the pressure can be tuned around.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

You mentioned injectors controlling fuel flow. My response was to that in that injectors do not control fuel flow, as the injectors themselves are controlled by the ECU. The ECU CAN be tuned to a particular pressure, but it would be better to address WHY the pressure is too high, rather than adapt to a wrong pressure.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

It can be tuned around.
Most lf the higher pressure now that we see os from improper install, customer not completely removing the fpr housing, or a pinched fuel line inside module.
Adding a restriction after the filter reg will artificially increase the pressure also. that is why the instructions do not say to put the brass fitting where its pictured and everyone thinks is where ot should be. it doesnt go there and is likely the other part of the higher pressure issue.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
It can be tuned around.
Most lf the higher pressure now that we see os from improper install, customer not completely removing the fpr housing, or a pinched fuel line inside module.
Adding a restriction after the filter reg will artificially increase the pressure also. that is why the instructions do not say to put the brass fitting where its pictured and everyone thinks is where ot should be. it doesnt go there and is likely the other part of the higher pressure issue.
Do you have pics of the proper install? Do they come with your kit? I'm going to be ordering the racetronix 340/hotwire kit from your store shortly and looks like I will need the c5 kit also.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I do not have a pic yet. i will soon hopefully.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
I do not have a pic yet. i will soon hopefully.
I think this is part of the problem right here, no one has been able to get an official picture of how it should look installed and going by the instructions doesn't seem to work for everyone that has tried. I know I tried very hard to follow the instructions exactly when I did mine but it would not have worked and mine ended up looking just like the only only picture anyone had supplied. I also know I don't have any kinks in my fuel lines because I ended up replacing my nylon lines when I originally thought a slight kink in the return line might have been the cause of my high pressure, turns out it wasn't.

I believe at some point too it was identified that there may have been a bad batch of filter/regulators causing the high pressure?

It would be really nice if official pictures can be provided and put the issue to rest

Edit 1: Looks like I missed some updates to this thread and ws6store is using wix filters now.

edit 2: it's also good to note some people having high pressure have the hot wire kit as well so that could be part of it all too.

Last edited by Kokomastah; 01-18-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the kit installed on my car and although I couldn't figure out how to exactly do it (I have extra pieces) It's in and works great! was 68lbs and now down to 58lbs. And I'm using a Racetronix 340lph and a hotwire kit. So it looks like the wix filters may have made a difference.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dano 00TA
Got the kit installed on my car and although I couldn't figure out how to exactly do it (I have extra pieces) It's in and works great! was 68lbs and now down to 58lbs. And I'm using a Racetronix 340lph and a hotwire kit. So it looks like the wix filters may have made a difference.
Can we get a picture of your install?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this kit installed like some of the previous posters. As far as I can tell you cant install it like the instructions tell you to due to space constraints. I just cant understand how Ws6store has no pictures of how this is supposed to be installed if they developed it and sell it. Not trying to bang them. Just wondering.

Last edited by boosted-delslow; 03-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm about to buy this kit but looking at this thread , I will wait for some official on how it should be installed.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fastsspr
I'm about to buy this kit but looking at this thread , I will wait for some official on how it should be installed.
You will be waiting a long time if you want official pictures. Just get it and install as others here have done
Old 09-13-2019, 10:21 AM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does anybody have a picture of how it's SUPPOSED to look? I don't see how it'd fit while retaining the factory filter. I did mine like in post 22 and 35. Hopefully it'll work.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brand new fuel pump module options also
https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...dule-kits.html
Old 01-20-2021, 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We will be updating the c5 filter/reg kits to a new design BUT since the original style kits still sell for quite a few swap guys we will still offer them.

Please see post here for the new updated kit we will be offering very soon!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...l#post20321793
Old 01-20-2021, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

Nice! The old one went on fine and pressure was right with the newer wik filter/regulator.

Quick Reply: Ws6Store/RPMSpeed c5 filter/regulator upgrade for 98-02 fbodys