Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Too many diameter changes in fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Too many diameter changes in fuel lines?

Long and short of it is I'm planning my fuel system and I'm wondering if there's such a thing as too many step-ups and step-downs?

I was planning on going with all Holley equipment and my cell is an ATL. I want to feed with 8an and use a 6an return. Here's the perceived problem: The line out of the cell is 8an to a 3/8 inlet pre-filter, then out a 3/8 outlet to a 10an inlet on the pump. The pump outlet is 8an going into another 3/8 inlet post filter, out a 3/8 outlet and stepped back up to 8an. 8an through the FPR and into the fuel rail.

Equipment I'm looking at is an 80 gph billet pump and 100 gph filters on either side. The FPR is 8an in and out with 6an return so that's easy enough. I was hoping using all Holley equipment would make it as easy as 8an inlets/outlets across the board, but they don't show any filters in that size. Am I doing this the hard way or overthinking it?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,523 Posts

I don't think size variation is a big problem as long as the smallest diameter is still large enough to pass the fuel required
Old 02-24-2018, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Think about the large cavities needed to get enough surface area to flow 80 gallons of fuel through a 10 micron filter and not have a restriction.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt330LS
Long and short of it is I'm planning my fuel system and I'm wondering if there's such a thing as too many step-ups and step-downs?

I was planning on going with all Holley equipment and my cell is an ATL. I want to feed with 8an and use a 6an return. Here's the perceived problem: The line out of the cell is 8an to a 3/8 inlet pre-filter, then out a 3/8 outlet to a 10an inlet on the pump. The pump outlet is 8an going into another 3/8 inlet post filter, out a 3/8 outlet and stepped back up to 8an. 8an through the FPR and into the fuel rail.

Equipment I'm looking at is an 80 gph billet pump and 100 gph filters on either side. The FPR is 8an in and out with 6an return so that's easy enough. I was hoping using all Holley equipment would make it as easy as 8an inlets/outlets across the board, but they don't show any filters in that size. Am I doing this the hard way or overthinking it?
You can get filters in pretty much any size you want, from -6 to -12.

Personally I would just buy those with -12 as they have larger filter elements inside and will cope with higher flow more easily before any restriction ( they rate them at 260gph )...then just adapt them down to whatever hose fitting you need.

And your filters will only be 3/8, if you choose to buy them with 3/8...but I would avoid using NPT fittings unless it was absolutely necessary...which of course it isnt.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

I guess I was trying to match the pump flow rate too closely and overlooked the fact that a higher rated GPH filter won't hurt anything. Seems Holley's 175 GPH filters are -8 in and out for both 10 and 100 micron. Looks like that'll work. Or just get started on the "go big or go home" game...
Old 02-28-2018, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is are always size changes because of the filters, so no need to worry there. And yes, if your filter flows just enough clean then it wouldn't take much dirt to make if flow to little. The larger filters will give you a longer service life between changes or cleanings.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

And most of the "bigger" filters are only bigger internally most use the same size outer shell anyway so it's not like they take up more room

Get the -12 260gph filters then you'll always be covered. You need male/male adaptors for them anyway, so buying them with a small -8 just seems pointless and of no real benefit.

You may never need larger.....but if you buy -8 you cannot go larger.

Buy -12 from the outset and you can step down to any size you want
Old 03-01-2018, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And most of the "bigger" filters are only bigger internally most use the same size outer shell anyway so it's not like they take up more room

Get the -12 260gph filters then you'll always be covered. You need male/male adaptors for them anyway, so buying them with a small -8 just seems pointless and of no real benefit.

You may never need larger.....but if you buy -8 you cannot go larger.

Buy -12 from the outset and you can step down to any size you want
Good point, thanks.