Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Battery to fuel pump to test fittings

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Battery to fuel pump to test fittings

Hey all, probably a dumb question here but I just finished doing all my fuel lines. All ptfe lines 10AN from pump then through aeromotive filter housing to an 8AN y-split to the back of the rails, 8AN from front of rails to regulator sides and 8AN from bottom of regulator back to the pump. Im using the Holley 525 pump which comes as an assembled kit with top hat and hanger which is a nice drop in setup into my Foxbody.

I want to run the pump and pressurize everything to test my fittings and make sure I have no leaks before I start on installing the terminator x system.

what I’m wondering is if I can run the pump directly to the battery to power it in order to pressurize everything, or at least run it through my fuse and relay and trigger the relay directly from the battery to run the pump.

im just not sure if the pump is designed to have constant 12v run to it or if the ecu gives it momentary 12v or scales voltage to it, etc. I’m assuming that since the relay is wired directly to the battery and all the ecu does is trigger the relay, that it would always be 12v anyway but i figured I would ask first.

thanks!
Old 05-26-2024, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts

Turn on ignition.
3 second PRIME should build pressure.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Full Power
Turn on ignition.
3 second PRIME should build pressure.
there’s no ecu in the car. I want to check for leaks before installing the Holley terminator ecu setup
Old 05-26-2024, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

fragola make fittings to pressure test hoses and lines. Just bought some of these for my system and they are well worth it. Pressurized my lines with air to 75 psi

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 454 Likes on 322 Posts

Jumping 12v to the pump to do a leak test will not hurt anything. Assuming you don't have any leaks that cause problems, of course. May as well use that opportunity to go ahead and set your base fuel pressure while you are at it.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 150 Posts

Just don't run the pump dry or for very long with only minimal amounts of fuel. The fuel is a pump motor coolant / lubricant and you will shorten the life of the pump without an adequate fuel level.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-26-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I used 100 psi of air for 5 minutes to pressure test my fuel system
Old 05-29-2024, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help

Ran the pump to battery and lucked out with no leaks or seeping at any of the fittings. Set my regulator to around 43psi. Gauge on the regulator, sending unit on the rail to send the pressure signal to the terminator ecu once I get it in.

Still a couple things I want to sort out with the fuel system but it’s pretty much done.
When i bolted the Foxbody tank back up, the fittings coming out of the top hat are touching the floorpan, so I may either lower the tank and BFH the floorpan up a little in that area, or I might leave the tank in and carefully notch an access door through the floorpan from above with a raised cover. Or might just leave it as is since neither the tank nor the lines will be moving around at all and it’s all AN fittings so no real reason why they would start to leak.

the other thing is that I have the regulator mounted to the firewall behind the motor for now because it looks cleaner but I’d like to make a bracket eventually to get it off the firewall and make it track compliant.

Quick Reply: Battery to fuel pump to test fittings